The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Best Thumb Tips ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
depends on its actual use... For "classical" purposes (bills, hanky etc), I would recommend the regular Vernet. The Hottrix tt instead is longer and stiffer, and is better for effects with liquids
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
For me the best thumb tips are the vernet, I love very much this thumbs, they have 100% of quality

luis Smile
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
I love the Japanese Vinyl ones. I bought 200, when I was in Japan in 1992. I like to keep one in the left hip pocket of every pair of pants that I own. Washing the pants with the tip inside. Is that Crazy!!!
It's Fun to be Fooled
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi, I have 2 vernet thumbtip, but both have this moulding line running across the tip from one side to the other (across the finger print area)...

is it just my thumbtip or do you all also have this problem with the vernet thumbtip? I am so afraid that it will give away the fact that I am wearing a thumbtip and it is not my real thumb...

any suggestions on how to get rid of the moulding line?

thanks
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Anybody try the D'Lite Flip Tips?

They are okay, although I find myself going back to the Vernet tips most of the time.
JoJo41
View Profile
New user
Honolulu, HI
46 Posts

Profile of JoJo41
I get the Vernet king size from Hocus Pocus.

If there's a better one out there I don't know what it could be.

They're undetectable, comfortable, and I appreciate that they come in sizes cuz I'm a big man. (Any of you fellow giants ever try to use a regulation tip on your ring finger? Ugh!)

And they're only like two or three bucks.
mafedi
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of mafedi
I use vernet thumbtip
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have The Vernet King-size and regular...they've been my "standard" for more than twenty years.

The one that comes "extra" in the D'Lite Deluxe Set (with the video) is actually my favorite. The color matches so well to my hand's color, and is "matte" enough (doesn't shine) that it CANNOT be seen, even pointing directly at the audience.

The reason I like that one so much, is that I can use ANY color silk. The Vernet limits me to yellow orange or red, due to its translucency.

The one made by the folks at D'Lite, I can use green, blue or purple (even black!), and it's indetectable.

JMO!

Doug
johnloon
View Profile
New user
UK
54 Posts

Profile of johnloon
Vernet is the best. But the Japanese once are better for vanishing cigarettes.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I use the original Petre Lewis (P&L) metal thumb tip with baked on enamel. I have used it for 50 years and it is still excellent shape.
Freak out
View Profile
New user
Sweden
10 Posts

Profile of Freak out
I just want to say that it doesn't matter what your tt look like. Slydini once used a golden one and Salvano used a green, just to prove the fact that the tt is invicible to the spectator.
I use a hard plastic tt that cost practically nothing.
If you look at it, it doesn't even look much like a thumb att all.
It's all about how good you are at misdirection and handling your tt.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I use only Vernet TTs. But, nobody ever sees it even though I vanish the silk in slow motion at a distance of about 2 feet from their face. That's because I have the participant looking somewhat over my right shoulder...directly into my closed left fist (hole in fist is almost parallel to floor rather than at a right angle to it). It's the same position you would use if you wanted to look at a photograph while simultaneously showing it to a friend. You would hold it off to one side as you both peered at it. So, they see into my left fist and they see the back of my right hand as it does the pushing. The final tip is in using the middle finger for the s---l rather than using the th---. Give it a try in the mirror and see how good it looks at any speed. The closer you are to the person, the more impossible it is for them to see the TT.
Nicholas
Showmethatagain
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Showmethatagain
Does any one know a website that stocks the bigmans thumb tip?
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Check with Dazzle Magic. I think that's the name of the company.
Do a search in any search engine and they should pop up.
I bought a couple of tips off of them a while back and they were very large.

Other than that talk to Denny Haney at Denny and Lee in Essex, Maryland. His number is 410 - 686 - 3914.
He may be able to help you.

Good Luck,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile

UPDATE: March 10 2004

Okay, I was wrong.
Hard to believe but hey, it happens to the best of us.

Go to http://www.dazzlingmagic.com and do a product search for TT's

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Simply put, if you don't know how to correctly use a thumb tip, then get one that looks exactly like your thumb because you won't feel comfortable otherwise.

If you know how to use a thumbtip (movement, keeping it behind your other hand when you flash your hands open, making sure your fingers are screening when it's on), then get anything that fits correctly. I have a Vernet and a Japanese vinyl and either one works just fine....once I learned how to correctly use the thumbtip from watching Rules of Thumb.
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
I just got a Hottrix TT-hard. The color is hardly my flesh color; the detail is lifelike. . . but neither of those things matter because I've no intention of showing it. I use the TT only for the bill switch (though have done other things--silks and salt vanish and reappearances) and, no matter what tip I've used, I keep it hidden and work on exactly when and how to ditch it. Never had any problems getting caught.

I've used Vernets, metal and rubber TT's, and the only one I can't work with is soft rubber ones--too hard to get off for me.

The Vernets have always been my starndard, though the Hottrix fits better (I have a small thumb). It's also easy to get on, get off and maneuver. Is it worth five times a Vernet? Vernet is closer to flesh tone; Hottrix is PVC, might last forever. It's a tradeoff. If you're really strapped for bucks, then I'd say stick with the Vernets. If you're feeling flush, then go ahead and indulge yourself with the Hottrix.

Oh yeah--according to the instructions, the Hottrix can be sized by soaking in boiling water and then using a stick to stretch it.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2002-12-15 14:27, Magix wrote:
I didn't really like the Hottrix thumb tip. I didn't like the way it fit and it was really stiff. I returned mine.

They made two models a hard one AND a soft one.

Posted: May 26, 2005 9:15pm

---------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

On 2003-07-14 23:01, toonomads wrote:
I live in Japan and have always used the Japanese tips.

Salvano showed me how he uses thumbtips at the last FISM. Used by such a master, I don't think it matters which tip is used.
Whatever feels comfortable and comes off and on smoothly.

Dean Dill also has great info on preparing thumbtips

Where could we see this info?
Posted: May 26, 2005 9:50pm

Quote:

On 2003-10-22 12:27, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Anybody try the D'Lite Flip Tips?

They are okay, although I find myself going back to the Vernet tips most of the time.

------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard of the flip tips, but never was sure exactly what they were. Can anybody give me an explanation on them?
Posted: May 26, 2005 9:52pm

Quote:

On 2004-03-20 16:58, Mike Walton wrote:
Simply put, if you don't know how to correctly use a thumb tip, then get one that looks exactly like your thumb because you won't feel comfortable otherwise.

If you know how to use a thumbtip (movement, keeping it behind your other hand when you flash your hands open, making sure your fingers are screening when it's on), then get anything that fits correctly. I have a Vernet and a Japanese vinyl and either one works just fine....once I learned how to correctly use the thumbtip from watching Rules of Thumb.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Where can I find "Rules Of ThumB"? Is it a book or a DVD? Who is the author? Thanks for any...ahem...tips you can give me on this.
Posted: May 26, 2005 9:54pm

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------

On 2003-10-03 22:31, markyeager wrote:
I love the Japanese Vinyl ones. I bought 200, when I was in Japan in 1992. I like to keep one in the left hip pocket of every pair of pants that I own. Washing the pants with the tip inside. Is that Crazy!!!

-------------------------------------------------

Well, it does sound a little crazy to have two hundred thumbtips! Exactly how may thumbs do you have? (LOL!)
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I have been using the rubber tt for a while now. Although it does tend to "stick" more, they are the only ones that seem to almost fit my thumb properly.

The Vernet tt's are too big for my thumb (small hands I guess) and I have had no luck at finding a smaller version that fits properly.

Any suggestions??
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Thumbtips are one of my favorite subjects, and gimmicks.
I noticed a number of questions here that went unanwsered, so let's see if I can help.

Someone asked about the mold line that runs around the length of the vernet. Yes, they all have that, but it's minor, I've never worried about it. Vernets are excellent tips, but they're not designed to be one of those "in your face" type tips that escape detection even with a microscope.
Speaking of those types, none would. The use of fingerprints is entirely ludicrous. Why is that - because I think tips should never be seen and it's all about technique ?
Nope. It's simply because unless the color is a perfect match right off the bat, the rest don't mean diddly, and very rarely is the color going to match unless it's a custom job. Once the tip is the right color, and then the right shape, you might worry about details like fingerprints, but that is so "putting the cart before the horse" it's downright laughable.
I have a hottrix soft tip, and I don't really use it. I prefer my vernets, to be honest, but I'm always looking for ways to improve them, short of makeup, which is messy.
I believe in the perfect thumbtip theory. I see no reason why we shouldn't strive to make one that you can wave right in front of somebody's eyes without detection. Especially if you're using a magnetic tip or something that doesn't really require a large load area, which of course is a dead giveaway: "Excuse me Mr. magician .. um.. why is your right thumb an inch longer than your left thumb ?"
I have always maintained that the "proper" use of the tip for any period of time will leave the spectator with a little voice in the back of their head saying, "something is missing.. I haven't seen his hands clearly and fully.. " I think this works more on a subconscious level, but why not dispell with that entirely and totally blow them away with a very realistic tip that allows you to practically flaunt your thumb ? Why not make something good even better ? What's wrong with wanting to do that ? How much more powerful would that be ? Quite a bit, I think. It would look even more like real magic, and less of a "hustle", for lack of a not-quite-so-strong word.

Daffydoug, "Rules of Thumb" .. man.. good luck!! That is one hard series to track down. It's been discontinued. I finally got the whole set, it's only available on VHS, but I heard it was being converted to DVD this year. Whether that's true, I don't really know. The series was made by Kevin James and Sophie Evans, but really, the whole thing could've been boiled down to 1 tape. Every tape has guest magicians showing their favorite effects with a tip. Steve Valentine goes into way too much detail and repetition sometimes. (I didn't think I'd ever write such a thing, but there you go) There's too much production filler and that kind of junk,artificially inflating the size of the video series, which I tend to think was done to make you think you were getting a little more for your money than you really were.
Having said that, it's still an excellent series on the tip over all, but you'd get just about as much out of Patrick Page's Secret Sessions tape on the thumbtip, honestly. He covers everything, and you can find that for about $12 or so.
I have not seen the Darwin video on tips, but opinions on that seem mixed.

Does anyone have a good link for the japanese tips ? I think I've seen them at Daytona magic, anywhere else ?
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Mel:

I would recommend that you purchase the Vernet Classic Thumb Tip. Vernet makes a great thumb tip and Vernet is the brand that most Magicians and Mentalists use. The Classic Thumb Tip is made out of hard plastic. This is the most popular type of thumb tip and this is the type that is used in most magic routines.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon