The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..26~27~28 [Next]
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2001-10-26 11:24, J R Thomas wrote:
The Amateur Magician’s handbook by Henry Hay

Hands down the best buy for the money. There’s a great list of books in the back of it. After devouring Hay check out your public library and then your local magic store. Once you get your feet wet I would recommend buying a compilation of a magazine like Magic Menu, Collected Alamanac or Apocalypse. Each of these has variety though most material is close up.

also learn magic by henry hay is great. the big book of magic by harry lorayne is also invaluable to a budding performer. the complete idiots guide to magic, and magic for dummies are also great resources for the beginner, as well as a good future reference for the veteran performer.

JR
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
1.Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic-Mark Wilson
2.The Amateur Magician's Handbook-Henry Hay
3.Now You See It,Now You Don't(1st & 2nd)-Bill Tarr
4.The Magic Book-Harry Lorayne
5.Royal Road To Card Magic-Hugard & Braue
6.Card College-Roberto Giobbi
7.The Amazing Book of Card/Magic Tricks-Jon Tremaine
8.The Art of Magic and Sleight of Hand-Nicholas Einhorn
9.Pactical Mental Magic-Theo Annemann
10.Modern Coin Magic-JB Bobo
11.The Tarbell Course in Magic-Harlan Tarbell/Harry Lorayne

All these books are brilliant.Some books tent to focus on showmanship and others sleight of hand/technique.Almost all magicians have these books,so if you are starting out give a few of these book a go.
Andre
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
One book I haven't seen listed is "Pure Magic" by Henry Gross, which is an excellent introduction to sleight of hand with various objects.
liam-j-gilbert
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
121 Posts

Profile of liam-j-gilbert
OK... depending on the beginner I think that card college is the best book for learning sleight of hand card magic... it is hard but it is fantastic. It was my first book and I work like every night of the week now professionally so ican vouch for it as a god work for beginners.
www.liamgilbert.co.uk -- for info, booking or queries on Liam Gilbert
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
Classic Secrets of Magic by Bruce Elliott has some excellent routines with various objects including dice, cards, paddles, and coins. Some of the stuff is better suited for stage-type work, but a lot of it is good for closeup work.
Jason Robillard
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Jason Robillard
"Magic for Dummies" really is a good book. As much as I didn't like the series (nothing like carrying a big yellow book out of a store announcing to the world that you are a dummy), it is a fantastic book! It introduces many concepts on a very basic level. I'd highly recommend it for people new to magic.
DamienT98
View Profile
Regular user
London UK now live in Austin Tx
180 Posts

Profile of DamienT98
Thanks for the recommendation, I already have the tarbell volumes but I bought Mark Wilson's today! Cheers all! Smile
Mitchum
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Mitchum
I just borrowed Mark Wilson's book from the library last week because of the topic. I must say that this is a great book and gives the beginning magician a taste of what magic is all about. I highly recommend this book to any beginner!
BullzEyE
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of BullzEyE
I though The Royal Road to Card Magic was a helpful book, my friend learned some neat tricks from it.
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
Quote:
On 2001-09-14 23:14, Tom Cutts wrote:
Bill Tarr’s Now You See It, Now You Don’t is what got me going with the real stuff.

Tom Cutts

Completely in agreement. This is really the book (I remember they were 3 books some 15 years ago..) that helped. I have to recommend it.
/Andrea
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Royal Road to Card Magic
Modern Coin Magic

And my favorite:

The Amateur Magicians Handbook. It contains material of many levels, and will take you from beginner to intermediate. After 4 years, I still refer to this book from time to time.

Shane Wiker
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
My favorite book to learn was Harry Lorayne's Close-Up card magic. Excellent teaching, excellent book, exellent everything. There is no substitute.

-Joel
Mystical Dave
View Profile
New user
Dave Pothier
3 Posts

Profile of Mystical Dave
Anybody have any suggestions as to a good book on building props/illussions? Thanks.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 12:02, Shane Wiker wrote:
Royal Road to Card Magic
Modern Coin Magic

And my favorite:

The Amateur Magicians Handbook. It contains material of many levels, and will take you from beginner to intermediate. After 4 years, I still refer to this book from time to time.

Shane Wiker

Intermediate?Have you tried some of the coin moves?Advanced,if you ask me.This is a very good book,that can be studied very many years.
:)
ANDRE
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
1)mark wilsons complete course in magic
2)jean hugard's royal road to card magic
3)harry lorayne's The magic book
Barton C
View Profile
New user
Oregon
2 Posts

Profile of Barton C
Wonderful list of reference material - thanks everyone! I'm brand new to the world of magic and so I have just started building my library. I 've started out with the full (now 5 volume set) of Giobbi's "Card College" (I understand volume 6 is one the way!), and Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic".

Someone over at the Genii forum suggested that I also get myself a copy of "The Secret Art of Magic" by Eric Evans and Nowlin Craver.

This book is based on Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" (written over 2,400 years ago!) and draws on the many parallels and comparisons between performing magic and performing war. "The Secret Art of Magic" is comprised of two sections, essentially two books: "Street Magic & The Art of War" and "The Secret Art of Dispersion". Separate, yet inextricably linked by the paradigm of ancient war strategy.

Here's a blurb on the book:

"Using an ancient Chinese manuscript of 36 strategies for deception in warfare, "The Secret Art of Dispersion" teaches a new and expanded approach to misdirection—dispersion. Based on the military concept of dispersing concentration, it not only encompasses the concept of directing/misdirecting attention, but unifies all the ways magicians control their audience's awareness—not just of what they see, but of what they think about (and conversely, and perhaps more importantly, what they don't think about). While misdirection is usually thought of as a tool just for sleight of hand or manipulation, The Secret Art of Dispersion uses a plethora of examples to show the applications of dispersion with apparatus, illusions, stand-up, doves, mentalism, and children's magic as well."

Is this book a little "too much information" for a beginner, or is this "just what the doctor ordered" for someone just starting off?

Thoughts? Comments?

( Get more info on the book here:
http://www.secretartofmagic.com/ )
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I agree with many of you that Mark Wilson’s book is a great first choice. My vote for a close second is Nicholas Einhorn’s Practical Encyclopedia of Magic (I think this is the same book as the one Andre Combrinck posted). It’s really a fantastic book for beginners.
eazy4me
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of eazy4me
Royal road to card magic is my favorite!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I was a little surprised to see that nobody has mentioned S.W. Erdnase's "Expert at the Card Table", or is that even more advanced than the Card College series ?
(I don't own it myself)
Or did I miss a reference to it ?

One really good book that got me interested when I was very young was the Golden Book of Magic, by Clayton Rawson. Probably long out of print, but I still have it.
I also had a paperback called "spooky magic" (or similar), I wish I could find that. Not broad in terms of tutoring, of course, but very entertaining, and you want to keep beginners interested and entertained, lest they'll give up on it and move on to something else, like Extreme Tiddly Winks.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
Nicholas Einhorn's book is fantastic. It has really helped me, as an adult returning to my childhood hobby, to get a taste of the magic art. The photography is superb.

There are simple tricks and routines, but there are several real stunners that I use as a regular part of my show. I think the book has really helped me try out different routines and decide what to purchase and what to pursue more deeply.

Jesse