The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Styrene: Where can it be easily be found ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Where would one go to find white Styrene Sheets. I want to make a production iten and I saw one of my tricks that was made with nice thick styrene. Got any suggestions?
Dennis Michael
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Model railroaders use it all the time. Plastruct is one manufacturer. Check here.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

All of them are .1 in thickness, how about 3/8 inch?
Dennis Michael
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Is styrene the same as plastic kard?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Den do a search on Ebay. I did not see the size you wanted but they had a lot to offer.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not styrene, but here are some acrylic sheets in white 3/8".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I know that here in Houston, check the yellow pages under "plastic" and you get a nice handfull of outlets that sell styrene in 4'X 8' sheets in a variety of thicknesses. Now keep in mind, Houston is what... 4th largest city in the nation?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Check your local yellow pages for plastics suppliers. I get my thick styrene from a plastics company.

You can do lotsa neat stuff with profiles and such, evergreen is a good manufacturer:

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

I like working with styrene. Its easily tooled, inexpensive and can take a variety of finishes. Instead of using a normal glue, you should use plastic welding stuff-it melts the plastic together, thus the seam is as strong as the plastic around it. I have also done lots of models with styrene as a laminate-a framework or solid body is made from some good wood, like balsa or bass and laminated with styrene.

If you need more info on working with styrene, drop me a PM, I have worked with the stuff for years.
Sent from my Typewriter
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Thanks,
I will check the Yellow Pages.
Dennis Michael
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
My local hobby shop sells sheets of styrene in all thicknesses and sizes suitable for use with model trains and props.
Check your local hobby shop !
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1867 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I get mine from a sign maker. He has it in all different colors. He also makes the signs for my shows; so his prices are great!
Coram Deo
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
The material that you may be looking for is called Sintra. Any sign making supply house that carries ABS/Styrene or expanded foam materials should have it. It comes in many colors, is workable with most tools and comes in varying thickness. Several top notch prop makers/dealers use this.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
TAP Plastics, I think they have an online location. They carry styrene among other sheet goods in numerous thicknesses last time I went looking for the heavy stuff.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
DenDowhy:

As one of the posters mentioned above, signs are made out of Styrene Sheets. Another good source for large white Styrene Sheets is your home improvement store. Look for the plastic sheets that you glue around your bathtub/shower. They are made out of white Styrene Sheets.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I am a Home Depot Guy, I've got to look into this!
Dennis Michael
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Flourish dude, yes- sheet styrene is known as plasticard in the UK. I really haven't worked much with it, but model-makers swear by it. It's fairly easy to find at hobby shops. I have used some pre-shaped styrene to make textured walls on small models, and it's very easy to work with- you score it, and it will break cleanly along the score line. You can also (carefully) use a hot-air paint stripper to warm then bend it for curved shapes. I'm sure it has many applications for stage/illusion props as well.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.