The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Aging My Haunted Key (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18105 Posts

Profile of Slim King
How can I do this? I've got too of them but I don't have 50 years to let them age.
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
290 Posts

Profile of cocomax
I age my metal items by dipping them in hot wax and then rolling them in sulfur and then burning them with a propane touch. The sulfur and wax burns off leaving nasty oxidation and sulfide corrosion. It looks great because it is REAL corrosion and not something just painted on.

Be sure to do all this OUTSIDE and do not breath the fumes. . .

Tim Wisseman
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18105 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks!
I'll give it a try.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Depending on what the key is made of, there are fast ways of devloping a nice patina on it. Also look into cold blueing, or browning (for those who do the SASS shooting events and make their stuff look a lot more period)

Even soaking a piece of iorn or steel in a combination of water and lemon juice overnight would turn it a nice black color.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I'd use a sponge and some paint. Put paint on the sponge and lightly tap it with the sponge to darken the finish. Once it's dried, lightly sand most of the paint off leaving paint in the corners and edges.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've never tried this, but I've read somewhere that the acid in Coke can actually rust metal to oblivion. May be worth a try.

Besides aging the key visually (paint or otherwise), you can also age it physically by using a file lightly on the wear points, i.e. the teeth, back, tip, and head.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
Jewlery makers use something called liver of sulpher to put patina on bronze,

also coin collectors........Mike
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18105 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You guys know everything!
What would happen if I put them in one of those Rock Tumblers? It might smooth the edges and make it look worn????
Thanks again
Dave
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Yeah it would polish it and take off the burrs (same thing like using a tumbler for brass (from firearms))

maby a combination of that and some chemical treatment on it would do it.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 18:12, cocomax wrote:
I age my metal items by dipping them in hot wax and then rolling them in sulfur and then burning them with a propane touch.

If I remember my chemistry, it's also the formula for a stink bomb!
Definitely, outside.
POOF!
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

The rock tumbler is a good idea, but a bit of judicious filing before tumbling could cut the time needed to 'age' the key. Try your key with a magnet, which, if it attracts proves the key to be steel; in which case, iodine will grotesquely corrode the key overnight. Seal key and iodine in a ziplock bag. Try to avoid using Coca Cola, which actually has a mild cleansing effect on oxidation (due to the phosphoric acid).

Leland
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 06:22, Slim King wrote:
What would happen if I put them in one of those Rock Tumblers? It might smooth the edges and make it look worn????

A tumbler might work okay, but it'll probably smooth everything at the same rate, which means no contrast between "a used part " and "a not used part." A file will let you age the parts that would wear out and ignore the others.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I couldn't help it, I had to go outsdie and try this. It worked GREAT.

No kidding here, take the thing outside and drop it on the side of the road. Step on it and DRAG it across the pavement. Flip it over and do the same. It scratches it up a bit and certainly won't look contrived!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
A few other techniques:

On some keys, there is a lacquer finish, you might need to get this off first with a fine steel wool or emery cloth before even attempting a chemical method.

1) If you have a week to spare, just bury it in your back yard.
2) A method I used (with okay results, I should've sanded it more) was to suspend the key inside a large plastic instant coffee jar, near the top. I filled the bottom up to about 2 or 3 inches with ammonia, and let the fumes do their thing for about 36 hours. That definitely created a quick patina.
3) I've also heard of people using vinegar.
4) Yet another method I've heard of, is to fill a shallow dish (maybe even a lid) with ammonia, and place as many pennies in it as you can, along with the key, but don't allow any of the pennies to actually touch the key. Let sit for a few days.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
When the OSS wanted to age money they'd made/counterfeited for their Agents who were going into France(WWII), they put it on the floor of their offices and walked on it for 1-2 weeks, this should work for your key(s) also. I'd use one of the above methods of removing the coating of varnish first.

Preferrably if you have an unfinished concrete floor that you can use(garage/driveway, basement), it would be best. Now for the shiny appearance you'd get after this, usually, egg white will dull/tarnish/age silver, copper, or brass (and most likely bronze) nicely and relatively quickly.

old special ops guy
Steve Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Vinegar, cola or muratic acid.
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
No joke but I heard "pee" will also do the job. just don't know if you'll ever want to use it again though. LOL!!!
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!