The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Printing Money on Flash Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Have any of your tried printing money on flash paper? So far the only flash bills available are in US dollars. I would like to make my own flash bills using my preferred currency. I am thinking of attaching a sheet of flash paper to a coupon bond and inserting it into my printer but that might ruin my printer or the ink might not stick to the flash paper.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Or, the heat from the printing process might set off the flash paper. That would be unpleasant. I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn't try it.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I made a post about this last year. I have been using the ones that I make for quite a while. They work great for me. I've had no problems with them sticking in the printer or with igniting. But you are on your own.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you printer does not use heat, as with an inkjet printer, that should pose no problem. Machines that use toners, rather than ink, often do. About 15 years ago, I had to make flash paper look like a car window sticker for a TV spot (actually had to make several for the inevitable many takes wanted by the director). At that time, before a printer in every home, I hand drew certain areas and graphics and filled in the rest using a typewriter. Considering the overload of dark ink in many areas, there was never a problem... didn't slow it down a bit.

Another thought... considering the wide variety of rubber stamps available, it may be possible to have one custom made, or a few smaller ones that could be used together.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I have not tried printing on flash paper but in general when using a non-standard size or weight paper, I have had success by taping the paper to a standard sheet of paper and running that throught the printer. Prevents jamming, crinkling etc.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lou Hilario,

As a magician who uses flash paper and as a former printer and print shop owner, I am concerned for your safety printing on flash paper. I am also concerned for the printing equipment that you are subjecting to acids.

Please consider reversing the process. That is, print the paper and then make it into flash paper. Those are both things that you can do yourself at home. I would recommend that you not use a water soluable ink. (Take the graphics to a commercial copy shop that uses toner, if your printer does not.)

Be careful. We like to keep our old friends safe!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 19:33, Bob Sanders wrote:
Lou Hilario,

As a magician who uses flash paper and as a former printer and print shop owner, I am concerned for your safety printing on flash paper. I am also concerned for the printing equipment that you are subjecting to acids.

Please consider reversing the process. That is, print the paper and then make it into flash paper. Those are both things that you can do yourself at home.

No disrespect meant Bob, but this is less dangerous how ?
I always thought that Rule No. 1 of the pyro-magician was, don't try to make your own flash paper.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 22:40, Mystician wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 19:33, Bob Sanders wrote:
Lou Hilario,

Please consider reversing the process. That is, print the paper and then make it into flash paper. Those are both things that you can do yourself at home.

No disrespect meant Bob, but this is less dangerous how ?
I always thought that Rule No. 1 of the pyro-magician was, don't try to make your own flash paper.

Mystician,

"Don't try to make your own flash paper" Is still good advice. (It's not disrespect.) We definitely agree.

His plan is to make his own flash paper. He didn't ask our opinion on that. But if you are going to modify the flash paper, modifying the paper first is the lessor of evils. If you don't have a degree in chemistry (I do), pass the job on to someone who does. (I do that anyway too!)

Don't put flash paper around electrical motors (printing, folding or otherwise). Good flash paper works every chance it gets!

I still don't recommend that they DO make flash paper. But I know that they CAN. The process is no secret. But you can bet they don't get the process from me.

Buying flash paper is the route I go.

I realize that you edited my quote to save space, but he was warned by me in that post to be careful and was not encouraged to do it himself. He already had an agenda. His question was about printing.

We do share safety concerns.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
405 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Try a laser printer.... (Don't do that!)
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I was under the impression that Lou wanted to print on flash paper to make custom non-US denomination paper currency, not to make his own flash paper, per se....?
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
405 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Try a colored pencil folding the flash paper. I have done that instead of using even the US flash bills (they suck and would pass for Monopoly money). Just my two cents. If you think about it, it would work for Multicolor Euros too....
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Put a sheet of flash paper on a 8.5"x 11" piece of cardstock paper and use rubber cement on the four corners of the flash paper. Then scan in the bill and position it correctly (you can fit 3 bills on a sheet and still have a little extra). All that you need to do now is press print and run it through.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Has anyone tried this type of approach before? The ink is set with water, so combustion would not be a danger.

http://www.paper-paper.com/body-art.html

Richard
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
íve printed bills on flash paper the follwoing way. just run the flash paper thru the printer like normal paper and print. of course, because the paper is thin you get the same print on both side of the bill, but it works and it doen't slow down the burning.
Alex
Alex
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Thanks so much for all the info you all have sent. I will try printing it using my Epson color printer. I don't think there will be a chemical reaction on the ink and flash paper. I was just worried that the flash paper might ruin my printer because it is thin. I will follow Mathew's suggestion of rubber cement.

Lou
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Does anyone find it ironic that flash paper dollar bills generally cost more than a dollar? It would be cheaper to actually burn the real currency!!! Of course, you don't get that fantastic visual then, so I guess the price is worth the effect, huh?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Printing on to the flash paper using an ink jet printer: "Shouldn't be" problematic. (Just stand away from the printer in case)

Making your own flash paper as I do: Highly NOT recommended! At all!

And to the post above: Isn't burning money (which ever country you are in) illegal? - You obviously get paid too much from your shows! Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)