The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Huge Supply of IE! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I got my spool today.
I have a silly question : how do you find the end of the thread to start? Is there any kind of marker or anything? I can't find it. It's like one big continous loop.
D'oh.

Posted: Dec 8, 2004 11:32pm
----------------------------------------
Well, disregard the previous post, I found the end finally. Here's a better question: someone mentioned dying the thread - how exactly would I go about doing that ? Just put some fabric dye in a bowl or dish and lay the threads in it ? This does seem a bit reflective, I think dying it would be wise.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I have a large spool also.
The only ends that I've found, and there seems to be more than one end, are very, very thin.
Very nice for Kundalini whether I use a single strand or double. Good strength.
Maybe too shiny for more open effects.

My problem is that it takes me a long time to tie the ends. Can't see it too well and my old finger keep losing the ends. heheh
I'm balling up some FunTac putty on the ends which helps.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok I just got off line , and it seems that the spools are back on. my question is I mean those of you have them are they really worth it?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's a lot of thread! More than I'll ever use in a lifetime.
Since the rising cards is one of my favorites, it's worth it to me. I could have got a lot less thread for about the same amount.

The thread is shiny but blends in well enough against the white of the cards.
Once I find the best way to color or dull the thread I will be using it for other ideas.
Whether it's "really worth it" is up to you.
simsalabim
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of simsalabim
I got a spool as well...someone over at the alt.magic.secrets (Leary) mentioned that the problem
with Lacra is that it tends to rot quickly (couple of years). Anynoe can confirm? any ideas on how to preserve it.

Carlo
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
I think keeping your thread in a cool, dry place, avoiding humidity and high heat will let it last longer....Not sure about this thread though....I guess time will tell....
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I have noticed that, in my roll, there are areas of thread that are strong, very nicely strong and elastic, and other areas that are very weak, will break easily...and you have to search and try for the strong areas...are these rolls old and outdated? Too old for the cloth industry but still OK for us Magi's?

Anyone else noticing this?

Still, an amazing bargain. Now, if I could only see the ends to tie them together..

By the way, a blue sharpie renders the thread pretty invisible and removes any gloss...and I think they make a purple sharpie now, which would be even better.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
McScratchy, I believe, mentioned using a "pantone" marker, to avoid having it rub off. And, I think (?) to avoid the typical sharpie gloss effect. (not sure there)
Let me tell ya what aggravation it was trying to find a pantone marker in a typical crafts store like A.C. Moore. ;- They didn't even know what I was talking about. Neither did Michaels. Ah well. They didn't know what wooly nylon was either.
I think you have to go to a real art supply store for these, although I did manage to find a pretty nice marker called a prismmarker, and it had among it's colors a slightly blueish grey color called cool-grey, in varying percentages of lightness.
70% looked pretty promising. Hope it works okay.
I think I'd have to order a pantone marker from the 'net though, I'm not aware of any art supply houses in my area.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Has anyone tried to buy from brownbeauty who posted above?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Yes the Pantone markers are probably only available in a real Art supply store. It does not rub off and the reflection is highly reduced.

-Gared Crawford
wells2877
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of wells2877
I am really interested in getting some of this stuff. does anyone know where you can get it in the UK?
Mark
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I guess I will wait and see if a new lot hit eBay. Collecting Magic supplies at a reasonable price here in Australia is quite a patience game!!
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2004-12-08 10:06, brownbeauty wrote:
Why wait for eBay to buy these! Email me for quick turnaround on 40 denier "Dorlastan" thread!

Quote:
On 2004-12-17 15:33, VANDY wrote:
Has anyone tried to buy from brownbeauty who posted above?

Yes, I have just received a huge spool (6 inches in dia and 2 inch wide) with thousands of yards of Elastic Thread (40 denier "Dorlastan"). The thread is pure white and is the same stuff McScratchy (Gared Crawford) mentioned at the start of the topic.

It was great dealing with brownbeauty (Rudy) and I highly recommend him. The turnaround and shipping is very quick.

Thank you, Rudy!

Also thank you Gared, for the very informative post and for sending me the nice detailed instructions on how to strip and tie your own loops.

Go friends, get the ET! You will never regret it!

Regards,

Narendra

Smile

P.S. The only problem I am now stuck with is to find the end of the thread to start? I can’t find it! Please help!!
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Thanks Rudy, for the timely help! I found the end of the thread. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Not up on ebay anymore Smile
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I think, from the sounds of it, that Rudy (brownbeauty, might have a bit fresher stock. Problem with e-bay, things have been sitting for who knows how long, perhaps a warehouse buyout, how old, etc. Good if you have the time to play with it to see where the bad spots are, but if there IS a limited life in air, I would go with the freshest stuff I could get!
I can tell you that latex will go to crumbles in air with time (6mo-1 yr)add the sun and it gets worse! Spandex seems to last a bit longer, but elastic goes flat in about 2-3 years.
From a quick google, I think Dorlastan is a manufacturer trade name form GmBH, a German firm. Those of you in Europe should be able to get some, google it up and contact the manufacurere, you might even ask them for a list of who buys it in your area, and be able to get some spool ends really cheap form the users.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
And if you check their website
http://www.dorlastan.com/46/Dyeing_and_Finishing.htm
you can get information on what will and will not dye the stuff. possibley even how to get some!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Guys, this stuff is amazing. I just bought some from Rudy and was able to strip down the thread to three strands from the one. I made some loops and compared them to my Yigal Mesika loops. Side to side, it is obvious that these dorlastan loops are thinner, and thus, more "invisible." I highly recommend the dorlastan spools if you are into making your own loops. You'll never ever run out, even if you give every member of the magic Café a little spool.
ivan1001
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of ivan1001
So Norm where can I get that ??
hi hi hi
ivan1001
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of ivan1001