The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Can every magic trick be funny? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
936 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I'm working on some strolling routines for adult (not blue) audiences and I'm just having a hard time finding out what is funny about four coins coming together in one corner. Can any magic trick be made funny? If so, what's funny about matrix (rated PG). And, if some tricks just aren't funny, what suggestions do you have for comedy tricks for strolling situations? (Let me repeat, "nothing blue.")
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Use your imagination try telling a story with it.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
936 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I'm working on it. I'm just not liking the results so far. I guess I just have to trudge on.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Edd,

Sometimes it's not the trick that's funny, but the magician. From your website, I get the impression that you're a very funny guy - trick or no trick.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
936 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Thanks Mike. I am a pretty funny guy, if I don't say so myself, but I'm having trouble transfering my comedy to the adult audience. I'm a clown. Really inside. I don't wear makeup or silly clothes, not too silly anyway, but I'm a physical comedian. So, how do I make a trick like matrix, for example, funny? That's my question.
Edd
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-01-11 01:02, wizardofsorts wrote:
[...]So, how do I make a trick like matrix, for example, funny? That's my question.

Bill Malone does a fine job of making Matrix funny; check his version out on the L&L DVDs.

How? The same way I make Coins Across funny. I introduce the coins with an original funny story that never fails to get a big laugh. I carry on with a follow-up that gets a secondary laugh then I begin the trick proper. After one coin has gone across I explain that it jumped across, it just jumped so fast they couldn’t see it; then I ask: “Would you like to NOT see that again?” This is mildly amusing, without muting the magical aspect of what they’ve just seen. Halfway through - when two coins have gone - I do another original funny bit. After the third coin I’m all business, setting up impossible conditions for the final phase to happen in their hands. That's it; that's all it takes to add humor to an otherwise serious and baffling routine.

In his Matrix (which is very true to the Schneider original), Malone lays out the four coins and then counts off five cards from the deck. He pauses, with an aside to himself: "Four coins... five cards... no, wait a minute, we don't need this one", and he executes the rub-away vanish with one of the cards, immediately laying out just four cards. It's funny and somewhat astonishing and as soon as the laughter dies he charges right through with Matrix - which is a very short routine in its original form.

Stand-up comedy may be about the number of laughs per minute, but comedy MAGIC must also be about the magic. If you think you need a funny line for every little moment or phase, or if you think the patter should be just one joke followed directly by the next one, then you don't understand comedy magic.

I try to use a small bit of comedy within a magic routine to keep the audience entertained and to control their emotional response to the magical spikes. You don't want them laughing during any moment of astonishment, unless the laughter is a natural reaction to being amazed (which often happens independent of the patter). In the same way you wouldn't want someone (or something) stepping on the punch line to a joke you're telling, so you also don't want your joke (comedy patter) to step on the climax to your magic. A sprinkling of humor goes a long way with magic, and is much preferred to trying for a laugh-a-minute response, in my opinion.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Edd,
After looking through your site, I find it hard to believe that you can do a matrix routine without being funny! Your character seems infused with humor. I say, just be you and you'll be just fine.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Every trick can be funny, but I don't think the tricks themselves need to be. I believe the art of being funny is in the "asides".
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Or use trial and error until you find something that works.
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
What could not be funny about matrix?!? oh. Never mind. oh. That too huh?
Actually it reminds me of trying to put the kids to bed. I have 4 boys. Just when I send each one to their room they are back together again trying to play on the computer. The thing that bothers me was that it was my turn to be on the computer. Eventually I have to get my wife involved to settle the dispute. I don't know why she things she has 5 kids here.

I think every magic trick can be funny. Whether it needs to be or not is up to you. You could just snicker after each move at some private joke and the audience might just laugh with you too.

I'm sure you will think of something.

Have fun.

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Come on magic is not funny. The only thing funny is when a magician does one of those mathematical card tricks which take 10 minutess to find a chosen card. "OK now divide the deck in two piles, ok pick them up again and divide them into 2 piles again, and again, again, again. OK now divide them into 4 piles (you see there is originality in here as well) and finally into 2 piles again etc.
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
I stand corrected. Actually I'm sitting down. (which is hard to do if you are not a duck)

I have a friend of mine who is a professional comedian. He told me a story of a woman who cannot tell a joke. (Correctly that is) She will tell it in the following manner:

There are these 2 guys walking down the road. Wait! I mean one guy. Anyway. As he is driving down the road. I meant to say driving first. Wait! It was 2 guys, I remember now. No wait that was the punch line. Let me start again.

Hysterical when he tells it. It is funny knowing that there are actually a lot of people out there who tell jokes the same way.

Too funny sniper! I love those tricks. The longer the better. When I watch someone doing that I think to myself that I have lots of time to set up for my next impromptu trick. Smile

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Yeah lol. I love it when one of those magicians visits the club, they are a great stress relievers. They help me catch up on lost sleeping hours.
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
According to nearly everybody who sees my magic, my tricks and routines are nothing short of hilarious.
I guess I'll have to practice a little more.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
You can find humor in anything.
Remember, A comic says funny things, a comedian say things funny.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
Remember, that you can make any trick funny, but don't try to force it out of the trick or yourself. If you are going to do comedy magic, make sure you know how to do it and do your research by taking improv classes, theatre classes and maybe trying to build your character and see if your character onstage is a funny guy.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Every trick can and should be funny!
We are there to entertain!

What's the difference between chopped beef and pea soup?
Everyone can chop beef, but not everyone can pea soup!
lochmann4522
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lochmann4522
Have a look at what Mel Mellers does with simple magic tricks.
I am always impressed by the way he presents magic tricks...
Ioannes
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Ioannes
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2005, funnymagic wrote:
Every trick can and should be funny!
We are there to entertain!

That is true. We're here to bring a smile on people's faces.
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
A physical comedian? Then it requires a physical premise for funny.
You are intent to assemble the coins in one corner...but the coins keep assembling in another corner.
Play up your reaction of confusion and frustration - and you have your comic premise.
Forget story and play your strength.

Regards
Kim Smile