The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Copperfield to Vanish the Moon??? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kard16
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Kard16
see making the moon vanish is nothing, how bout the sun...
bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
This hits hard in 2024
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
Ok better late than never… what do we think about this? Personally I think there’s only one “practical” way to approach this subject matter without the audience making assumptions that tear the whole premise apart. Maybe that’s why it’s been 20+ years. I guess we shall see…
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
Today I got an email as well as a alert from The Today Show that David Copperfield has a new vanish coming in February 2024 -- the moon

https://www.savethechildren.org/us/chari......XUYAhm_E
https://www.today.com/popculture/david-c......OtoQ5tcM

“It’s taken 30 years of work, that’s literally 30 years of our lives to develop it,” he said. “And there’s multiple methods to make it work and I’m collaborating with Save the Children, an amazing organization to show the world the difference one person can make.
“If one person can make the moon disappear from the sky, imagine how together we can make poverty and hunger and danger disappear for our children on Earth.”

mG
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Cool! I wonder when the next lunar eclipse is scheduled....
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
According to CNN:

The next lunar eclipse will be a penumbral lunar eclipse that will be visible to stargazers in North America and will not occur until March 25, 2024
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
So that is what was causing all the UFO sightings! It was just Copperfield rehearsing! Smile

I'm looking forward to it, as well as the new effects in the TV Special.

Tornado Of Fire was in 2001, that's 22 years ago! Finally he is back!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
It’s safe to say that every living magician has been inspired by David Copperfield’s work. The man is a force of nature and deserves everything he has including our collective support. Consider that the world is quite a depressing place right now. The fact that he is giving people something to wonder about is a positive. This mega illusion will solidify him as the GOAT! Thank you David the Great!
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
I don't really get this kind of thing, I think Penn Jillette summed it up with a comment about his Statue of Libery special, he asked his dad if he was going to watch it and he said "why would I? It's not going to disappear is it!"
As a child I was fascinated with Copperfield's TV specials, I suppose that's why I've got some respect for him still, that he helped to bring magic to a new generation in the 80s/90s (he seemed cooler than Paul Daniels!) I guess that's who it's aimed at really, kids and families watching on TV. But I do wonder if this sort of thing is a relic of another time.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2023, JerryMN wrote:
But I do wonder if this sort of thing is a relic of another time.

Why do you think that might be Jerry?

Seems to me grand spectacles can still pull in great public interest, what medium this airs on
will likely be the most important factor.

A network special will likely bring in tremendous viewership, not as much as the 80s, but that's
due to the decline of broadcast tv.

If he streams it live on a free service, i.e. Youtube, he will likely get views greater than blaines ascension,
which did quite well even though it wasn't that big a spectacle by comparison.

If this releases behind a paywall, the viewership will most definitely suffer, it will be interesting to see
the means of release come February, it will probably make or break public interest.
Chris.k
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chris.k
It will be nice to see again a big illusion like he did with statue of liberty.Stunts and big illusions is kinda rare recently
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
I would not be surprised if the broadcast is done on a free format such as YouTube. TV is no longer the three network thing it was when a lot of us were much younger. He certainly doesn't need the money and will get more out of the merchandising than any network would pay. And it's NEVER a bad idea to keep your name out front!

I recently saw his dinosaur show. It's a beautiful and spectacular entertainment event! If ticket sales were ever to drop off, the video of the moon effect will make the rounds for years and will pack the theater for a VERY long time.

Obviously, I'm really looking forward to the moon project. I'm sure it will amaze and astound millions, and get people with no real interest in magic talking. The how-he-did-it theories will keep his name out there. All of magic should get some benefit from it, as well, so he's doing a great service to all of us!
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2023, Fedora wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2023, JerryMN wrote:
But I do wonder if this sort of thing is a relic of another time.

Why do you think that might be Jerry?

I think you touch on it with the demise of broadcast tv, it's probably linked to that. I think his old TV specials at the height of his fame were genuine TV events that so much of the population looked forward to and families would sit and watch together, so there might be generational interest in magic and it would perpetuate it. It just seems like this will get lost now, it wont grab the attention the way it might have done in the 80s. Not to mention the immediate reveal videos and parodies that will follow, it wont seem special to anyone the way it would have back then. I fear DC is setting himself up for a big fail with this.

Maybe I'm nostalgic for my youth!
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
I agree, Jerry. Big television events are sadly a thing of the past. There’s just too many mediums through which we consume entertainment. I don’t think a pay wall in front of the show would work, it has to either be sponsored in some way or just self-funded as a means to drive Vegas show ticket sales. Or just a passion project that he’s doing regardless of the outcome. The more I think about it the less I think we’re getting an entire show. I think it’s just this one event, maybe 30 mins of content, and likely on 2/24/24 due to the full moon that night.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I think it's awesome because lay people know the name Copperfield. Great premise to come out and pronounce you will make a moon pie disappear. It's in my price range.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I’m betting many will walk outside that day to double check him,
and many will then say, ‘he got me’

He wins regardless...

Tom
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2023, TomBoleware wrote:
I’m betting many will walk outside that day to double check him,
and many will then say, ‘he got me’

Hehheh.....I'm sure you are correct. But, without the refection of the sun, how's anybody going to see anything ANYWAY?!? Yup; he comes out a winner either way.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2023, charliemartin wrote:
Great premise to come out and pronounce you will make a moon pie disappear. It's in my price range.

HA! And I bet a bunch of kidshow folks will steal your idea. Watch your back, Charlie!
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
I for one will watch and not look outside. I will want to keep the mystery of what he does. I think it would be interesting if he moves the moon through its phases with a wonderful story. Also hope that he is planning a special of his latest stage performance to precede the live event.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I love DC and can't wait to see what he and his team have come up with.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/