The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Comedy Leg Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Guys

Anyone advise me where I can get the BEST & NICEST looking Comedy Leg Table?

I bought from Fairchild, but is very big & bulky, other website other not so nice version Smile

I have heard of Howard Hale version, think no longer in made.....any advise where I can get a light , beautiful & nice version? Smile

It seem this props , Not many dealer made...mayby Mr Chance Wolf from Wolf magic can manufacture some.... Smile

Any comments appreciated Smile
doveboy
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Chalet one is very nice. They show up on ebay once and awhile.

How's the dove Pyramid working out?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
The fairchild "crazy comedy table" is excellent. the table is quite large for several routines and the paint job on the legs is very very good. you simply cant go wrong with this one.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Interesting. There must be many lying about unused. A prop that promises far more than it delivers. Yimka produced them and at one time Supreme Magic had a room full of them. There must have been a hundred. Where are they now? And doing what?

I've only ever seen one act get anything like a reaction from a Legs Table and that was a three hander clown act in circus. Two of them positioned and repositioned the table several times during the act. When the third - and silliest of them - tried his hand the legs fell off and the others fell about laughing.

Then the comic legs appeared and it was all down to the timing plus that fact it was the silliest of them who won through. Rather than a gag prop they had created a comedy situation and build up which is difficult to achieve effectively single handed.

Interestingly it was the Rigoletto Brothers who are said to have invented it - you see, scope for creating and developing a situation.

I used one in the clubs and cabaret in the 60s and 70s and carted it half way round Europe. Frankly no matter what you do with it, used solo it never gets the reaction from the paying public to justify travelling the thing. Even the lightest is sizable and yet another item to travel and get in and out.

And on the odd occasion you do get some audience reaction you can bet your life there are magicians in! They're the only ones to find it really funny, probably because they can relate to the situation.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
As usual, Tony is quite right - I've seen this prop get muted reactions time and time again. Timing is cruciial, as is acting ability.

I love Denny Haney's use of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KinKTSsaA
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I have one of the new Fairchild models and have been quite happy with it. As noted above, it's size limits the venues where I use it simply to the space required and bulk in transporting. It sets up very easily in no time as you simply connect the aluminum legs and you are ready to go. I use it as a prop table throughout my show and by the end it becomes part of the show just before my closing routine and then use the legs table in my closing routine. I find that it gets a good reaction as the kids regularly talk about it after the show.

Dan.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
"Frankly no matter what you do with it, used solo it never gets the reaction from the paying public to justify travelling the thing"

It's a shame that you never had the chance to see Al Hillman "The Bewildered Barfly" do his routine with this prop. It had lay audiences in stitches every time. Unfortunitly Al is no longer with us, but If I can find it, I have a tape of one of his performances that I will try to get up on youtube and then post here.

Kimmo, thanks for the Denny's link.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Denny still does that routine every year at the Magic Castle with Puck and I think it's even more funny now. IMHO you need an assistant to really milk the comedy from the table. It's a must see if you get the chance. Might want to contact Denny as to best place to get that table.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 06:03, kimmo wrote:
As usual, Tony is quite right - I've seen this prop get muted reactions time and time again. Timing is cruciial, as is acting ability.

I love Denny Haney's use of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KinKTSsaA

Yes, that's a nice use of the Legs Table. But note the use of the assistant. It's harder to work it solo.

And by the way, anyone who got caught up a year or so ago in the posts about the Multiplying Bottle Routine. That was the Ken Brooke Routine we were discussing - well the moves were - the words of course had been adjusted to suit.

All round, very good.

Pity about his shoes.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Derek Rutt has one - "Legless," which is no doubt also worth checking out. I don't have it but am considering. He offers outstanding service and high quality props for a reasonable price.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I have just got mine. cheap one ,from mooncostumes.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Legless by Derek Rutt is a piece of junk. It looks nice, but the legs wobble when you move it around, it doesn't look solid at all and so the spectator is afraid to sit on it, when you put a bang cap in the stool and it breaks, it doesn't make that much of a bang at all, sometimes the leg with the bang cap doesn't fall out because the cap makes it too wedged in, people don't react. All in all it was a very big waste of money for me. I thought it would have been hilarious, but they just don't laugh. More than anything they feel bad for breaking my prop. I'm still looking for a good line after it breaks to deliver guaranteed laughter.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I've been thinking about getting one, I see the ones from Moon Costumes run about $200.00. Seems like a pretty good price. Any one have one they want to sell ?
Bob.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm after the comedy Legs table, not Derek Rutts legless.
Thanks much, Bob.
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
How is the quality of the one from Moon Costumes, http://www.mooncostumes.com/item/13062 ??

Is it sturdy? Is the top large enough to perform multiplying bottles?

Thanks,
Jonathan Dupree
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I made mine and a rabbit appears instead of legs.
Dennis Michael
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 05:40, Tony James wrote:
A prop that promises far more than it delivers.

Don't they all? BTW, very, very smart post.

Doc

PS: Denny does do it well (as he does most everything).
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I was able to purchase a used Fairchild table from a fellow here on the Café several months back. The table work's great. Having metal legs instead of wooden ones really makes a difference. the metal legs make a lot of noise when they fall.
Bob.
Jim Grathoff
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Jim Grathoff
Ive built a comedy leg table.. the problem is that its not sturdy. I was thinking of maybe a rachet type hinge but haven't been able to find anything that might work. if any one has a idea or knows how to help me out with this problem. it would be great if the legs lock Thank you
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I believe Denny now offers one as well: http://dennymagic.com/store/comedy-legs-......ons.html

Dan.