The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Do you see what I see? :: Behind the Board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KHER
View Profile
New user
Kher Cheng Guan
48 Posts

Profile of KHER
I've seen it performed on TV, but don't know what it's called. The performer stands behind a rectangular board and does mime-liked escalator or elevator ride. The board's height is at the performer's waist from the ground. Does anyone know what is is called and does it need any special physical skills?
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Well, I think it's called Mime! Smile
And yes, mime need physical skill.

I have seen almost like what you seen, but using a long fabric. The mime act like ride escalator & elevator up and down and also down into a hole while walking.

Regards,
Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I used to do that as a kid using the sofa.
So I recommend the sofa and a large mirror as good practising tools. A good pair of knees come in handy ,too.
Try taking the stairs before the escalator, it's easier to do because you don't have to worry about the smoothness.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Mark Jaster, as “‘O’ a fool” performs several stunts, including this one, using a blanket. He includes the elevator (up and down), the escalator (up and down), stairs (up and down), amongst other effects. He also uses the blanket to do a series of Chapeaugraphy type of bits (baby, elephant, etc.).

The stunt/bit you describe is mime pure and simple (or not so simple, truth be known). Mime, like magic, has a long and honorable history. Mime, like magic, has fallen to the bottom of the performing arts hierarchy in recent times.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
If those practicing Mime would 'lose' the white face and the derby cliche it could become something folks might tolerate a bit more...that 'image' has become far too recognised as something to scoff at (thanks to movies and standup comics).

One of the most incredible physical shows I ever saw was performed by the Oregon Mime Troup (many years ago) without that sissy clown look. (sorry...sissy is the only word I can conjur.)

Mime is a difficult art to master but it can be taken to amazing dramatic heights if the Marcel Marceau clone look is dumped.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
fredmoore
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of fredmoore
I would avoid using a "board". I used to do this bit as well, I used a black curtain hung onto a PVC frame-work.

This way it would back down much easier.

Gotta go, mime is money!
www.moorefred.com

"Find A Job You Love And You
Add 5 Days To Your Week!"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks guys... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 10:18, Harry Murphy wrote:
Mime, like magic, has a long and honorable history. Mime, like magic, has fallen to the bottom of the performing arts hierarchy in recent times.

Like mime, magic probably suffered from everybody ripping each other off. Mimes just ripped the good stuff from Marcel Marceau but it didn't make any sense once taken out of the storyline's context. How/why is this guy suddenly trapped in a box? People correctly dismissed it as absurd. At least Shields and Yarnell added some creativity before the art form seemed to poop out.

I saw a list of jobs recently that have been resistant and those that have suffered the most in the recent American economic downturn. Performers were low man on the totem pole and really hit hard losing most their income.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile