The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: What's the best Die Box? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
flimflams
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of flimflams
Quote:
On 2004-11-03 15:53, dking66 wrote:
Just started collecting Die Boxes! I have several... Owen Sliding Clock Box; Milson Worth Die Box; Owen Oriental Die Box; Abbott's Cig Box; Brema Coin Box; Davenport Die Box; Babcock Die Box; etc. Was wondering what many of you think is the best made Die Box? The most collectible Die Box? The prettiest Die Box?

I have several die boxes however the one that I use is the Mel Babcock die box. It gets the best reactions.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 17:34, flimflams wrote:

I have several die boxes however the one that I use is the Mel Babcock die box. It gets the best reactions.

Interesting. You obviously have yours trained well. I have seen many that just sit on the shelf and don't do anything. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 17:34, flimflams wrote:

Anyone care to comment on optimal size i.e. Mel Babcock's are 4", 3", and 2 1/4" Dies? 4" seems to be a bit big but I suppose it really depends on the venue it will be used in.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The venue will somewhat determine the size used, but you must also be comfortable performing with the prop. As example, I own a Jumbo Shenanigan Die Box that has a 5" die. It is simply too unwieldy for me to handle gracefully in the context I'd prefer to use it.

Regarding your question of Mel Babcock's boxes, see if you can construct a few boxes of the same sizes in cardboard, and see which feels right to you. Consider also that the real thing will weigh a lot more than the cardboard mock up. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
I have both the 3" and 2 1/4" size of a couple of versions of Mel's Die Boxes. I honestly think I prefer the smaller of the two. This size is very easy to handle can be comfortably used in most situations, including semi close-up.

Julie
john magic wright
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of john magic wright
Owens Magic supreme
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm not sure this is the "best" die box, as that term can refer to a lot of features and functionality. But out of the dozen or so boxes I own, this one is handw-down the most beautiful:
https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/st......el-baker
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
The Gerlitz Die Box (the older model with the dragon graphics is very nice, but his later model with new oriental graphics is fabulous). I also have a Mel Babcock Die box in Jumbo size. I think he made only 12 and it has a 5" white die (looks and works great).
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I would say Mel Babcock makes the best Die Boxes. Not only does he make them in the size you want, he also gives you choices of die and box color or type of wood with or without inlay strips if you prefer unpainted wood boxes.

He is very accommodating to suit your needs. In addition, his prices are quite reasonable for what you are getting which is a hand crafted prop made to suit your taste. You cannot beat that!

And by the way, he is a great and very knowledgable guy!!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, Magical Moments wrote:
I would say Mel Babcock makes the best Die Boxes. Not only does he make them in the size you want, he also gives you choices of die and box color or type of wood with or without inlay strips if you prefer unpainted wood boxes.

He is very accommodating to suit your needs. In addition, his prices are quite reasonable for what you are getting which is a hand crafted prop made to suit your taste. You cannot beat that!

I would agree. I own probably a half a dozen of Mel's boxes, and they are stellar. The craftsmanship is topnotch, and these are props made for workers. They will last.

Many have said that Mel could charge much more than what he does, and I agree. But that fairness makes him even more likable.
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
61 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, Magical Moments wrote:

I would agree. I own probably a half a dozen of Mel's boxes, and they are stellar. The craftsmanship is topnotch, and these are props made for workers. They will last.

Many have said that Mel could charge much more than what he does, and I agree. But that fairness makes him even more likable.

Hi Greg,

I don't really collect Die Boxes (though when you look at these you'd never know it!). But I think you hit the nail on the head Michael Baker probably makes the most beautiful die boxes currently. And if you were going to perform the die box on a regular basis you'd find it hard to beat Mel's at any price, but at his prices there is nothing close. What I really like about Mel's boxes is they just feel right in the hands.

Ben Stone of Delben made a wonderful die box that was huge and quite plain by todays ones, but worked perfectly!

Milson-Worth built one of (if not the) prettiest Die Boxes here. And of course Owen's made some real pretty and smooth operating ones.

Of course there are 100's of others. And they all have their fan base. But I've always liked Mel's the best overall.

andy
Martin's Magic Collection
The Largest Online Collection of Rare, Vintage, and New Magic!
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I like the abbots box where you can show the die is in the box at any time, but I would like that in a rubixs cube model. Do they make one?
mir11
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mir11
Rubixs cube die box is a great idea
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2020, equivoque wrote:
I like the abbots box where you can show the die is in the box at any time, but I would like that in a rubixs cube model. Do they make one?

If Abbott's doesn't:

Mel Babcock can make just about anything you can envision, especially in the line of Die Boxes. It wouldn't hurt to contact him and discuss exactly you're looking for...

Julie
dfolson
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of dfolson
Mel does make a Rubixs cube solving die box. It is one of my favorite props.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
As mentioned by others, Mel is spending fewer and fewer hours in his workshop as he nears his 90th Birthday.

Now may be a good time to check to see if whichever of his goodies you have been lusting after is still available...

Julie
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, dfolson wrote:
Mel does make a Rubixs cube solving die box. It is one of my favorite props.

F.Y.I.> This unit is does not produce a standard vanishing & reappearing die box effect, but rather is a magical way to solve a mixed Rubik's Cube.

IMO a Mikame'-type See Through Rubik's Cube die box would pretty much tip onlookers to the method due to the well known nature of a Rubik's Cube construction.

Perhaps a standard die cox configuration with a Rubik's Cube might be more deceptive...? (It seems I have seen variations of this approach on the big auction.)

Julie
dfolson
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of dfolson
F.Y.I.> This unit is does not produce a standard vanishing & reappearing die box effect, but rather is a magical way to solve a mixed Rubik's Cube.

Julie [/quote]

More accurate is this is a non-standard application for a different effect and conclusion. If one were to re-apply different color stickers, it could be used for the standard routine.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I am super pleased with Wellington Enterprises’ new Diabolic Block Box. I chose the wood veneer front because it compliments the tube. Bill’s trailer:

https://youtu.be/B4uH3c-cGRU

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wow, that looks fantastic Mark. Congratulations.

I love it when classic props are modernized and improved. Leave it up to Wellington Enterprises to literally turn this box upside down and rethink what this prop can do.