The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: What's the best Die Box? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
dking66
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of dking66
Just started collecting Die Boxes! I have several... Owen Sliding Clock Box; Milson Worth Die Box; Owen Oriental Die Box; Abbott's Cig Box; Brema Coin Box; Davenport Die Box; Babcock Die Box; etc. Was wondering what many of you think is the best made Die Box? The most collectible Die Box? The prettiest Die Box?
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
The prettiest Die Box? That would be Milson-Worth's new version of the Deluxe Oriental Die Box.

The most collectible Die Box? That is open to varying opinions? I have Owen's 100th Anniversary Die Box made in gorgeous Vermillion. At Owen's, I was told only a dozen were made.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Abbott's/Arturo's/Supreme's Twin Die Box with the sliding doors and the big yellow die and palm trees on the back of the boxes is very pretty (this is the one that separates into two parts and sits on a custom tray, Owens made one,too, in natural wood finish.)
dking66
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of dking66
Just picked up the new Babcock Rainbow Die Box! Wow... what a beauty!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The original Delben double door die boxes are very hard to beat. The die is HUGE. The shell is made of hardwood plywood, and the other gimmicks are very dependable. The woodwork is beyond compare.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I like the Gunther-Mendoza Die Box where two dies are used. It is more deceptive than any die box around.
JL608
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of JL608
I have to agree that the G-M Die Box is outstanding! I know they're very tough to find now.

Mel Babcock's Rainbow Die Box is also beautiful.

Joe
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
For anyone with the Joe Stevens' Die Box DVD--what is your "favorite" routine/box shown there?
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I have to throw in my vote for Mel Babcock's Rainbow Die Box. I just purchased this beautiful piece and can't stop looking at it or playing with it! I am sure there may be a "Best" out there but this is certainly the BEST in my collection Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
I have to agree with you Chance with Mels diebox being one of the best...but of course you know I am partial to another but the magic world will have to wait just a bit longer before they see it. But you must not say anything Chance...not yet! Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Chance
Did Mel send you the routine using a Jap Hank Box in conjunction with the Rainbow Die Box?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
One of the Café users... Harbin Jr. probably has the coolest die box I have ever seen. It is a huge die... the coolest part is that there isn't a shell at all. It is really a treat to watch... I would say more; however, I promised him I wouldn't... You'll have to PM him to check it out.
By the way... I think Brian Cook is making reference to a pretty well known builder on the Café with a wacky die box idea (I am hoping this is were he was going with that). If so... I can't wait to see the outcome!
Bryan
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Julie,
You bet! Mel sent me the routine which was written by Larry Wilfong. It is a great routine, well thought out and I happen to have an old Thayer Jap Box which works perfect for the routine. Now I just have to find some time to practice Smile
Bryan,
Actually, Brian Cook is refering to another Die Box but I can assure you the Wacky Wolf will be giving the Classic Die Box a serious face-lift....just not for awhile however it IS in the sketch/blueprint phase!
Take care
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I am excited to see both... I've always enjoyed the Die Box...
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
Mel made me a die box with the letter "B" dice. I use this in conjunction with the a,b,c, Blocks in my kids shows. It is just that they are soooo beautiful I hate to take them out on the road with me

Wow what a mechanic Mel Babcock is
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am still partial to my old Horace Marshall inlaid mahogony die box with a double door. It has not projections on the base but is square box which helps it from getting dinged up. The die is about 4" Simple but it works.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
islandguy
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of islandguy
I still think that one of the most deceptive Die Boxes is the Mikame 'fall apart' style, made so elegantly by Mel Babcock. Adults even gasp when all sides are opened and the block is clearly gone. Keith
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Does anybody have Arthur Culpin Vanishing Die Box ?
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
Can someone tell me how you can present this trick with a lot of comedy?

Greetings
Dutch illusionist
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
I am wanting to get another die box and was looking to see what most people use and why. Thanks. A question that I have is about the Mikame box I have. It doesn't seem to have the slide and is very quiet. Is this normal, did I get a defective one, or is it possible it's one of a few?

Thanks for any info

Patrick