The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28 [Next]
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
I work p/t at a Library for past 16 years - even at 80(70years Pro) still have to make up for cost of living L-O-L The kid section of the Library has a few good books on EZ card effects - plus other Magic- try it - our library ALSO gets loans from other Libraries in the county - try it - less expensive than buying. RR
Oscar.Abraham
View Profile
New user
Mexico
32 Posts

Profile of Oscar.Abraham
I think that most modern magicians, myself included, have forgotten the basics of magic; therefore, I'm more inclined for the books that started it all for many of my heroes in magic -- yes I'm talking about "The Royal Road to Card Magic", by Jean Hugard, Frederick Braue. I haven't finished reading it, but the material in it, and the way it's described (the effect, methodology, concepts) really makes this book a great way to start a raw beginner.

Here's a clip by Jason England where he mentions his top 10 books for a beginner in magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxlPryUjj94
Regards,

Oscar
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
Thanks for this resource. I'm just getting back into magic and bought The Amateur Magicians Handbook (Hay), Modern Coin Magic (Bobo), and Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Can't wait to dive in. That should keep me busy for awhile. LOL
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Don't know if I'm allowed to do this - but I'm gonna' try - just to feed my ego a bit - this is a post my Merc Man in a different thread:

"Said it before but it's probably worth saying again.

In 1978 (aged 14) my Christmas present was The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne. Maybe hard for teenagers these days to believe but back then, there were families who did not have a lot of money; and apart from a few sweets (candy) a book would potentially be your main present.

I adored reading my Dad's few magic books - mainly from the 1930's and requiring apparatus of some kind. When I started reading Harry's The Magic Book, I felt as if I'd been transported to a parallel universe; whereby superb close-up magic, with every-day items, was indeed possible.

We are now nearly at Christmas again - almost 40 years later. As I type this post sat at my kitchen table, there are 2 books in front of me - may the Lord strike me dead on the spot if I'm lying. Harry's 'The Magic Book' and Quantum Leaps (I was cross referencing something last night). I'm looking at The Magic Book as I type. It's battered and bruised - having been regularly read. More than any other magic book that I own, there's bits of torn cigarette packets with notes written on, sticking out of it. The odd torn playing card with other references scribbled. And of course, the more recent post-it note.

The fact is this book has been my inspiration in magic for nearly 40 years. I have used literally everything within. Despite, like many of us in our adult lives, having wasted a lot of money over the years on the latest magic 'flim flam' it IS the material within this book that I return to time and time again. Because one thing I have learnt about how magic is perceived by an audience is that you earn the greatest respect by performing with borrowed, or 'normal' items. For example, there is hardly anything within the card section that cannot be performed with a beat-up, borrowed pack of cards. Nothing within the coin section that needs expensive gaffs (in order to produce a similar effect in the eyes of spectators). Where else can you get so much workable material with a piece of paper & a pencil? A handkerchief, table items, etc.

What's more, it taught me the most important elements of magical entertainment - presentation, routining and misdirection.

It also taught me a very, very important lesson. That it is the basic, clearly defined easy to follow plot that gets the best reaction.

Over the years, I've spent time and money learning different versions of 'The Colour Changing Deck'; or buying gaffs to get Aces to transpose, etc. I've spent money on further gaffs to get coins to go through a table; or pass from hand to hand. I've bought (and sold on) these gimmicks and flim-flam; along with countless others that achive matrix-style routines, etc. The reason being that all most gimmicks do is over-prove what you don't need to be over-proving anyway.

The classics of magic will live forever; because they have an easy to follow plot. When you use ungaffed or borrowed items and throw them into the mix, it's just so much more rewarding. Added to which 'less is more'. If you can go out with minimal props, you will generally work harder on your presentation - because you are building upon the basics - by actually using the basics. Does that make sense? I hope it does. In other words, you tend to put more energy into your performance. A prop isn't doing the work for you. I've worked with other magicians that rush at break-neck speed from prop to prop; akin to a magic dealer demo (only to then vanish to re-set their gimmicks). However, arrive at a table; borrow a few contrasting coins and a table napkin, and you are ready to entertain. And what I can genuinely say to guys (still reading my rambling here) is that people aren't stupid. If they can see you are working AND entertaining them with what are clearly not 'magic props' you will get one hell of a lot of respect.....and in many cases, you will stand out.

Harry (I believe) wrote this book for people who had an interest in starting out performing magic. It has the clearest of instruction; and covers so many useful principles of magic.

I would not only unreservedly recommend this book to people starting out; but also to any magician that wants to make a living as a professional, magical entertainer.

Indeed, it's title of 'THE Magic Book' could not be more deserving.

It is, in my honest opinion, the GREATEST book of magic ever produced.

Words cannot express my most sincere gratitude and thanks, to the Master himself.......Mr Harry Lorayne"
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
DeeGood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DeeGood
A veeery useful thread, thanks!
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
I have been reading this thread off and on over the last couple of weeks and finally got through it. I have taken some of the advice given and am well on my way to starting my own magical library. Currently concentrating on Royal Road to Card Magic and Card College Vol 1.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I went to Half Price Books the other day and found a hardbound edition of "Scarne's Tricks" - containing both "Scarne on Card Tricks" and "Scarne's Magic Tricks".

I've spent time over the last few days reading each trick, marking the ones I want to keep in mind. There is so much good material, and such a variety of methods, I'm sure just about anyone would find plenty of material. Instructions are very clearly written.

Sleights are minimal. I've read through the first 33 tricks and don't think I've encountered even a DL! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
I have been slowly studying the books suggested by Bob Cassidy in the 39 Steps to Mentalism,

I am currently also reading the Secrets of the 'Amazing Kreskin: The World's Foremost Mentalist Reveals How You Can Expand Your Powers', which I am really enjoying.

I also went into my local Magic shop in London 'Davenports Magic' and they suggested 'Easy to Master Mental Miracles' by Richard Osterlind, which has been fantastic to watch. Mr Osterlind is an amazing performer and tutor too.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I've been reading Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey. It's a collection of short essays about magic, presentation, your audience, acting, what you say, how you say it, what people see, you name it. It doesn't contain tricks! The essays are very thought provoking. I know as beginners we want to learn tricks- the more the better. But, I have to highly recommend this book to anyone interested in thinking about their magic and presentation. What better place to start than when you are beginning? Best yet, it's free!

256 pages and it's available here: http://www.insidedeception.com/3-free-magic-pdfs/

The other 2 free downloads are good as well, but the fact that Jay gives away Beyond Secrets for free is amazingly generous. I'm not quite 1/3 of the way through it and I already know I'll be reading it again. It's that good.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Coin Magic:
NEW Modern Coin Magic by J.B.Bobo

Card Magic:
Card College 1-4 by Robert Giobbi
The Royal Road To Card Magic by Hugard & Braue

General Magic:
Complete Course in Magic by Mark Wilson
Tarbell Course in Magic 1-8

Mentalism:
13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda
Sharktale
View Profile
New user
Ukraine
31 Posts

Profile of Sharktale
I have been lucky. One day I went to second hand book shop in UK (Oxfam) and found first magic books:
- The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne,
- Magic and Showmanship By Henning Nelms,
- Mark Wilson’s Complete Course In Magic

These books have changed my life!!!
Masterallen
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Masterallen
The Royal Road to Card Magic
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I agree with The Royal Road as it was the first book I got and I'm still not finished with it 2 years later. Yes, really. I believe in MASTERING each chapter before moving forward, not just being able.
I also think it is imperative that new magicians(and many who already perform it would seem) read up on performance and misdirection and theory and the following are invaluable to me:
Showmanship For Magicians - Henning Nelms
The Fitzkee Trilogy - Daniel Fitzkee
The Magic Way - Juan Tamariz
Our Magic - Nevil Maskelyne & David Devant
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Magic and showmanship - Henning Nelms
(I put the wrong title)
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Lucas Maillard
View Profile
New user
Paris
25 Posts

Profile of Lucas Maillard
I'll go for these one :

- Royal road to card magic
- Stars of Magic
- Scarne on card tricks

I also agree with HeronsHorse : Magic and showmanship is an amazing book, not only for the magicians.
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment is a great book about performing magic!
(And keeping coworker's attention while giving a presentation at your job.)

Strong Magic (Darwin Ortiz) is also good, but I recommend reading this first.
Very easy to read and understand. Fantastic insights into the nature of entertainment.
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
If you are interested in learning mentalism I found Richard Osterlind's "Osterlind's 13 Steps" videos to be brilliant introductions. His "13 Steps to Mentalism" videos are great as well.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
For beginners wanting to learn card magic, it is hard to do better than "Roberto Giobbi's Introduction to Card Magic".

This 150 page book was created in 2012 as a course for people starting card magic, and has just gone through a revision in 2019. Normally selling for €9.95, for a limited time Mr Giobbi is making the updated version available for free as a digital download in PDF format from his website here:

https://www.robertogiobbi.com/site/produ......rd-magic

The book has lots of illustrations, and links to youtube videos that show the moves that are taught. It also includes half a dozen card tricks. Much of the material is based on Giobbi's best-selling book Card College 1.

To learn more about it, check out a detailed review of this book elsewhere on The Magic Café here. You can express your thanks to Giobbi via PayPal using the "Donate" link on page 154 of the book, but there's no cost to download it. It's excellent, and I only wish I had it when I began my journey into card magic!
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, Chessmann wrote:
I went to Half Price Books the other day and found a hardbound edition of "Scarne's Tricks" - containing both "Scarne on Card Tricks" and "Scarne's Magic Tricks".

I've spent time over the last few days reading each trick, marking the ones I want to keep in mind. There is so much good material, and such a variety of methods, I'm sure just about anyone would find plenty of material. Instructions are very clearly written.

Sleights are minimal. I've read through the first 33 tricks and don't think I've encountered even a DL! Smile

This is very illuminating, I always assumed Scarne would be full of sleights and DLs, I will now certainly seek them out.
cheers
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
What an excellent thread! It will keep me going for all time in book recommendations. Smile
I will add The Royal Road to Card Magic and Amateur Magician's Handbook for a all-rounder intro to the subject.
I adore the old (pre-war I and II) Conjuring training books that can be found digitised https://archive.org/search.php?query=con......ricks%22

and in 2nd hand bookshops (quite reasonably priced in many cases) Smile
NOTHING I love more than a good root around in a 2nd hand old books shelf. Except practicing what I read from them!
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.