The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
You can't go wrong with the Ammar videos.
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
Agreed. I think anyone would be well served with any of Ammar's videos.
serjery
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of serjery
Hey all!

This is a bit of a long-winded post, but I'll try to keep it concise.

I've been on and off practicing magic since I was a kid. Only recently did my interest reinvigorate and I decided to start with Mark Wilson's book. After about a month or so of reading through the various sections, I found my interests to lean heavily towards card magic and mentalism.

I decided to get some books that specialize in those fields. I picked up Royal Road to Card Magic a couple of days ago and so far it has been great. It's helped me practice my sleight of hands to make it easier to do.

Mentalism on the other hand, I am not entirely sure if I've made the right decision or not. I went to my local magic store to ask for some introductory books on Mentalism, and like many places, I was recommended Practical Mental Effects by Annemann, and 13 steps to mentalism by Corinda. My only concern while quickly skimming through these books, as well as reading some general reviews from newbies is that a) because both books are dated, some of the practicality of the routines in the books are hard to prepare for (with regards to finding the materials needed easily), and b) because of the somewhat dated language and writing style of these books, they are definitely challenging for a beginner looking to step foot into mentalism.

I am not sure whether these concerns are valid or not, so I thought I would ask in this thread specifically. If anybody also has some contemporary recommendations to allow me to get my 'feet wet', please do let me know! Regardless, I have already picked up Annemann's book as it priced very reasonably, and I do plan on reading it through. I am just not sure how easy it will be in terms of attaining the correct materials in order to do the majority of the routines provided in the book.

Thank you
Mobius
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Hi Serjery
Have a look at "The Thirty-Nine Steps: A Mentalists Library of Essential Works by Bob Cassidy.
It will provide a good basis to start your collection. Nothing like getting advice from one of the best. I don't think he lists any of his own work so it would be worth checking them out as well.
Good luck with your search.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
I may be a little out of synch with some on this one but I had been into magic for a little over a year when I forked out £60 for "Mind Myth & Magic" by TA Waters. It was an absolute revelation and I have still not read it all. Very little of it is inaccessible to a neophyte and the bits that are have given me excellent road signs on to the next stage of my learning. This book has been my "hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy" and I cannot recommend it too highly.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
I forgot what forum I was in so I would like to clarify my previous post - "Mind, Myth & Magic" is a mentalism book.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
My opinion:

For general magic three books stand out to me as great introductions:

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic; Harry Lorayne's Magic Book; and Zenon's Street Magic.

For card magic in particular then either: The Royal Road to Card Magic, or the more modern Card College are great - but the general texts above will certainly get you started.

I think that DVDs are great, so I'll include some here too.
For card magic, my favourites are definitely Gerry Griffin's Complete Card Magic and Big Blind Media's Card Magic Essentials set - both great value for money!
For coins I'd start with Michael Ammar's Complete Intro to Coin Magic
For mental magic I'd start with Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles series
anatuncay
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of anatuncay
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2001, Steve Brooks wrote:
Mark Wilson’s Complete Course In Magic:

For those of you just starting out, this decent sized hardback has been called the magic bible by some.

Though it doesn’t cover everything (what book does), it has enough to keep you busy for some time! Smile

The Tarbell Course In Magic:

Though a little out-dated patter wise, this eight volume set of books is a must for any magic library.

This course was originally released through the mail in monographs, a chapter at a time!

Aren’t you glad you can get the whole set at once? Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.

Where can I get these...
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2017, anatuncay wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2001, Steve Brooks wrote:

Mark Wilson’s Complete Course In Magic:

The Tarbell Course In Magic:

Where can I get these...

Check the famous online auction site for deals. Also check your local library system. You may be surprised by how many quality magic books they have available to check out.
zerofire2905
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of zerofire2905
I suggest you guys to follow the Tarbell course in magic. It is a series that is really worth to try. Try to start with volume 4, 5 and 6.
anatuncay
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of anatuncay
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2001, kristel wrote:
The Karl Fulves series of books on magic are affordable and a good reference on many aspect of magic.

Andre Le Magicien

From Quebec, Canada

THANK YOU. Smile

Smile
zachwyman
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of zachwyman
Definitely Tarbell and anything Michael Ammar / Daryl
bogie
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bogie
Mark Wilson's book was the very first book I ever bought and I thought it was great.
The second book was a Michael Ammar book that had lots of close up magic in it but I can't remember the name of it and can't find the title anywhere online now.
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Dominic Reyes has made a book on practicing, which I think will be quite useful, available free here: https://na282.infusionsoft.com/app/linkC......526a8686
PowerThirst
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of PowerThirst
Thanks for the advice! I just ordered Mark Wilsons beginner's guide as well as Roberto Giobbi's Card College volume 1 to get me started!
MudMedic
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
41 Posts

Profile of MudMedic
The Tarbell series is pure, unmitigated evil!!

I purchased all eight volumes back in the eighties, and promptly loaned them to a tyro...then had to go buy all eight volumes.

I gave them to my brother-in-law...then had to go buy all eight volumes...

I lost them in the same flood that took my house in 2013...now I have to go buy all eight volumes...

Oh, how I now loathe those highly addictive volumes...

My faves: The Royal Road to Card Magic, Mark Wilson's Complete guide, the Dai Vernon Trilogy, and, of course Harlan (you bastid!!) Tarbell's series.
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Quote:
My faves: The Royal Road to Card Magic, Mark Wilson's Complete guide, the Dai Vernon Trilogy, and, of course Harlan (you bastid!!) Tarbell's series.

Which ones are the "Dai Vernon Trilogy"?
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
Quote:
Which ones are the "Dai Vernon Trilogy"?

Probably
Inner Secrets of Card Magic
More Inner Secrets of Card Magic
Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Ok, my beginner's library consists of:
-> David Pogue - Magic for Dummies
-> Harry Lorayne - Magic Book
-> Jochen Zmeck - Handbuch der Magie (in German)
-> Mark Wilson - Complete Course
-> Joshua Jay - Complete Course
-> Bill Tarr - Now you see it...
-> Hugard / Braue - Royal Road to Card Magic
-> Stewart James - Encyclopedia of Rope Magic
-> J. B. Bobo - New Modern Coin Magic

Next year I'll dive a bit deeper into creating shows, effects and so on with the Dariel Fitzkee Trilogy and something more like Ortiz, Nelms or Tamariz.
Napi
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
1 Post

Profile of Napi
As a beginner, I've slowly but surely compiled some of the following titles:
- Card College (Roberto Giobbi)
- The Expert at the Card Table (Erdnase)
- Complete Course (Joshua Jay)
- The Tarbell Course

And a few other more esoteric/specific volumes. I like cards, but I'm more intrigued by everyday items that could be introduced somewhat naturally when out with friends (instead of subjecting them to a performance with specialized props):
- 13 Steps to Mentalism (Corinda)
- After Dinner Tricks (Walter Gibson)

Hoping to find Martin Gardner's "Encylopedia of Impromptu Magic," but it seems to be rare and quite expensive where I've found it on the usual online classifieds. On this note, it's not a book but I've heard great things about the "Anytime, Anywhere" video by Jay Sankey.