The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You might want to start with my THE MAGIC BOOK.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Asop
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Asop
Hi Mr. Lorayne, it's a pleasure for me writing to you Smile

So, if I got it right, your "The Magic Book" is a complete general course and not a scecific course in a particular argument of magic, isn't it?

Thank you
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
It was originally written for the public - for beginners. Cards, coins, etc.

Xsyllman
View Profile
New user
Virginia, USA
13 Posts

Profile of Xsyllman
Mr. Lorayne, in all my years of cluelessness about magic in general (and card in particular), yours is the only name I recognized when I first began to explore this art following retirement recently. The funny thing is, your name was familiar to me only as a memory expert, since I had seen you on a TV show back in the 1970s or 1980s, IIRC.

Anyhow, based on the recommendations of others on this forum (Vlad, in particular), I've acquired a couple of your books at my favorite local used book stores. Granted, they weren't from your website, but the content is what counts and I was able to save on a few of my "retirement pennies." The book you mentioned to Asop, The Magic Book, is one of the gems that the bookstore had and it looks wonderful (as does Deck-Sterity and Quantum Leaps).

Now, I just have to sit down and dedicate the time to practice and learn. Even though I don't have the same amount of time that Asop or others have, I'm still looking forward to seeing what you and others have offered. From what I've read thus far, it all looks fun. Best regards.
Xsyllman
View Profile
New user
Virginia, USA
13 Posts

Profile of Xsyllman
Asop, I'm not sure I "found my way" in magic. You've got 30-plus years on me, so there's plenty of time for you to explore many aspects of magic and gain proficiency in them. For me, because I have comparatively less time available on the road ahead, my decision to focus on card magic was a pragmatic one. Rather than spreading myself too thin, it seemed better to limit my education to one area. Besides, I'm not looking to make this a second career or to do any paid work; it's simply to keep myself occupies mentally and to be able to entertain others. For you, though, I say "Go for it!" with all the gusto you can muster. Redeem each day with learning. All the best to you in your pursuit.
Asop
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Asop
I see that the book "Now You See It, Now You Don't" says the level of difficulty of every trick.
Could this be a good thing for a beginner?
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
It's been said loads of times, but the royal road to card magic is my pick!
Cosmic
View Profile
New user
Australia
1 Post

Profile of Cosmic
Hi all,

I have read quite a few of the pages of this thread and done a search of the forum, but I couldn't find answers to these specific questions. Please help if you can - thank you.

First, I am looking for books that give a good introduction to patter, performance and putting effects in a routine. So, not the nuts and bolts of specific effects,but how to perform, how to make patter believeable, how to decide which effects go where in a routine - including General showmanship and performance, developing character etc.

Second, I am wanting books on card effects (or, that include a big section on card effects) which are specifically organised by sleights. I have mark wilson's magic cyclopedia, and this is organised in chapters by card sleight - so all the self working tricks are together, all the overhand shuffle tricks are together and so on. Which other books (or videos or learning materials) would be organised like this, which you could recommend to a beginner?

Last question - what is the difference between the Magic cyclopedia and mark wilson's complete course? Is it worth getting the complete course if I already have the magic cyclopedia?

Thank you in advance,
Cosmic,
fsharp
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of fsharp
I have to thank Harry Lorayne for writing the "Magic Book". This book really got me hooked up to magic when I was a teenager (22 years ago). Little did I know that eventually I would become a full time pro. Thanks again Mr Lorayne for writing this book which was a great general introduction to magic, and generated my passion and eventually my career.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My pleasure, sir. HL.

John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
"The Magic Book" by Harry Lorayne gets my highest recommendation. My 1983 McGraw-Hill paperback copy is one of my magic treasures. Thank you Harry.

The Karl Fulves "Self Working Card Magic" books are nice as well. I like how Karl provides themes for the tricks to help a beginner get some grounding in presentation.

And I still love and recommend "The Amateur Magicians Handbook" by Henry Hay. My 70's paperback copy is in tatters and was my first source for magic and sleight of hand, although I spent a little too much time on the more knuckle busting sleights in AMH for such a young'en.

IMHO - "The Magic Book" has the best focus and scope for a beginner and of course, HL as a teacher. You can't go wrong with that combination.

-John
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, Cosmic wrote:
What is the difference between the Magic cyclopedia and mark wilson's complete course? Is it worth getting the complete course if I already have the magic cyclopedia?

Cosmic, Two books by Mark Wilson are repeatedly recommended here:

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic

The Complete Course is a huge 9x11 book, 472 pages.
The Cyclopedia is a tiny 4x5 book, but with a whopping 638 pages.

They are 95% identical, word for word.

The differences: The Cyclopedia lacks about 35 pages of minor material on cards and coins, and 9 pages on billiard balls.

That material has been replaced with 30 pages of "Make-At-Home" magic.

Other than that, they are the same book.

So if you have one, you essentially have both.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
We have two suggestions regarding books for beginners that I think will really help, and they both happen to be free and by Joshua Jay.

The first is Josh's Under/Over, which is his treatise for young magicians and their parents. But truthfully, we've received so many positive comments about ADULTS who found this PDF to be extremely helpful that we suggest it for everyone.

Second is a collection called Magic in Mind, and this one is comprised of essays on ALL aspects of magic theory. It is, truly, a primer AND advanced course in how to excel in magic. Josh got permission from some of the finest magicians, and includes some of their finest work.

You can find both at www.vanishingincmagic.com.

Hope this is helpful.
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Quote:
On May 25, 2015, danhughes wrote:

Cosmic, Two books by Mark Wilson are repeatedly recommended here:

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic

The Complete Course is a huge 9x11 book, 472 pages.
The Cyclopedia is a tiny 4x5 book, but with a whopping 638 pages.

They are 95% identical, word for word...

One more point about these two books - the Cyclopedia is terribly hard to use. Its tiny print is difficult to read, and you can't open the book and let it lay flat while you practice a sleight without breaking its spine. It's cute, but impractical. The larger book is much better for use in the real world.
MysticMagic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MysticMagic
I was wondering what everyone thinks about card college and Tarbell card sleights. Would one be better to start out with considering I am fairly new to magic.
Will Leiva
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Kansas
30 Posts

Profile of Will Leiva
Hey guys I was wondering if any of Slydini's books would be good for a begginer like myself? Im just so in love with his elegance in his performances. I just went on a binge watching any video I could find. Super in love with his knotted silk routine both sitting down and standing up with the two glasses (I'm sure I don't have to go into detail you all know what I'm talking about). Also quick question do you need it to be silk can you use bandanas?
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
I have to give my nod (as many have already) to Mark Wilson’s Complete Course In Magic. I remember getting that book when I was a kid. It came with a faux leather cover and my name was gold leafed on the front. What I wouldn't give to get that book back. (Anybody have a picture to share of one of these?).

I was able to buy a regular softback copy of it for .49 cents from a book recycler. And it's in great condition too. I have just started reading it again and was shocked to find that all of the better magic I performed in my high school days all came from that book.

Trust me, you can't go wrong with it.
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Magicshowprod,

Try the link below, about the middle of the thread..

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

I hope the link works... I am typing this from a mobile device.

Take care,

Bruce
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Wow BCS. That brought back some major memories! That was definitely the version I had as a kid. Thanks so much for sharing those pics! Smile
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Magicshowprod... I am glad you enjoyed going down memory lane.

Did you also purchase from Louis Tannen way back then? I started collecting their old magic catalogs; so far I have catalog 6 through 18. I just love those old illustrations.

Take care,
Bruce