The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..26~27~28 [Next]
Joker63
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Joker63
Quote:

I do have one specific question about Royal Road if someone could answer it. Does it go over all of the really basic basics.....such as shuffles and how they're done, how to hold a deck, the glide, basic forces, etc. I am just beginning and would really like to build a good foundation.

I have just picked up a copy of RRTCM; I have the first four volumes of Card College. I would have to say Card College provides 'the' most detailed explanations for each sleight. I guess that's why it took Giobbi four volumes to cover the content he wanted to include. The complete set is expensive, but works for a beginner - I was a beginner when I bought the first volume, and still consider myself a begninner. Just Volume one and two have enough content to create a number of worthwhile routines, and cover all the required sleights for most packet tricks.

I have read this message string for some time before posting. If you want to learn cards - Card College has the to the first choice. I constantly refer to the series now that I have a few DVDs and want better explanations of the moves/sleights mentioned with any given routine.

By the way I don't have CCIM yet. It will either be that or Strong Magic as my next purchase.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I would also recommend "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms. It deals with the most important and oft neglected part of the art - presentation.
The Jack
View Profile
V.I.P.
228 Posts

Profile of The Jack
For Spanish beginners I Suggest "Cartomagia Fundamental" by Vicente Canuto. It s a great book for card magic.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 12:22, aligator wrote:
I would also recommend "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms. It deals with the most important and oft neglected part of the art - presentation.

Add to that "strong Magic" and "Designing Miracles" by Darwin Ortiz. Both should be considered required reading for all magicians.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Here's a list and ways to get the books:

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Books-Worth-......-4691033

:magicrabbit:
Joker63
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Joker63
Are there different editions of CCIM - Mark Wilson?
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 08:46, Freddyshark wrote:
I don't know if you can get it somewhere (maybe Ebay) but I recommend The Magic Book by Harry Lorraine. It has the basics of card magic, coin magic, some mentalism and lots of good stuff

Fortunately, L&L Publishing now publishes the book so a new copy could be obtained. BTW, the card section is excellent----especially for beginners.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
"Classic Secrets of Magic" by Bruce Elliot
"Magic Tricks & Card Tricks" by Wilfrid Jonson
"The Tarbell Course in Magic" by Harlan Tarbell (& others)

Those are the books that got me started.
Philip Hilton
View Profile
New user
Scarborough UK
35 Posts

Profile of Philip Hilton
There have been so many great books listed here and so I'm not going to go over them again. I would like to say on the subject of acting, which every magician really is, or should be, that two books worth having are Magic & Showmanship by Nelms and On The Technique Of Acting by Michael Chekov. These books will give you not only the tools to create your characters, but will also teach you how to move in a natural way. To be honest so few magicians deal with this important element of the art, that if you read and study these, you will be ahead of many other magicians, who simply view our art as showing tricks and puzzles, or of getting one over on the public. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Cheers Phil
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I find well made videos the best tool since you can see actual events of the actions I`m satisfied with the magic makers "modern coin magic 4DVD set. I gained a lot from that set ,and still trying new tricks from them.
The format Mark Wilson uses in his book "A complete course in magic" is easy to follow with the detailed photos of the moves from the spectators,and magicians views right in the verses on the pages.
That is the best setup I`v ever seen in a how to book. they used the format from instruction sheets that comes with a assemble it yourself furniture or little red wagons.
The great publishers like that keep up the excellent work.
Having reading material easy to comprehend is essential to getting you information across to the reader.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
My cents are 1. Tarbell Course in Magic
2. Mark Wilson Course in Magic
3. BoBos Coin Magic
4. Royal Road To Card Magic
5. Counts, Cuts and Sublities (not sure of title)
6. Fitzkees SP Triolagy Magic by Misderiction, Showmanship for Magicians and The trick Brain
All to get the Basic Principals so very much needed in todays market as most now tend to take the easy ways.
The Magical World of Jardini
magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
A lot of beginners are young and thus their money is limited. I found out about a site thru the Café call http://www.abebooks.com

It list a lot of books and many are used. I got an excellent copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic for $1.76 plus about $5 shipping. Check them out.
Jake Heller
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jake Heller
I agree that Mark Wilson's Complete Course is the best for a beginner. Gave me a great start.
tombola
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of tombola
If there's any swedes out there I recommend the book "Trolleri som hobby".
Available at many swedish libraries.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
The Ron Bauer Privates Studies may not seem like an initial set of beginners books, but if we're gonna teach newbies about presentation, we should start 'em out right!

I'm a big fan of the RBPS series because of the presentation material that consistently plays well for an audience.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
If you're short of money it really helps to check out libraries near your home and school. Check the REFERENCE section as well as 793.8 (Dewey System number for magic books, 780 for children's section). The REFERENCE section contains books not available for check-out but stay in the library so you can read them on premises. Often, larger or expensive magic books will be in this area.

"All things being Equal, I'm having a Splenda day."
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Here are my recommendations:

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS

Books:
  • David Pogue, Magic for Dummies
  • Tom Ogden, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic
    See the discussion here.

Videos:
  • Michael Ammar, Exciting World of Magic
  • Jay Sankey, Amazing Magic & Mentalism Anyone Can Do, (Vol. 1 & 2)
    See the discussion here and here.

FOR BEGINNERS READY FOR THE NEXT STEP

On technique and tricks:
  • Mark Wilson, Complete Course In Magic
    Easily the best all-round resource. See the discussion here.

On performance and presentation:
  • Darwin Ortiz, Strong Magic
    See the discussion here.

On cards only:
  • Jean Hugard, Royal Road to Card Magic (tricks with sleights)
  • John Scarne, Scarne on Card Tricks (tricks that are self-working)
    Alternative choices for self-working card tricks:
  • Frank Garcia & George Schindler, Magic With Cards
  • Karl Fulves, Self Working Card Tricks series
    For self-working card tricks, see the resources listed here.

On coins only:

Mark Wilson's book is a fantastic complete course, but is best suited for someone wanting to take the next step in magic, and already knows something about the basic principles of performing magic. It could be supplemented with Darwin Ortiz' book about presentation at a later stage. Genuine newcomers to magic would be better advised to begin with the Magic for Dummies or Idiot's Guide to Magic books, in order to get a more comprehensive introduction to all the facets of magic at a beginner level, and then later progress to Wilson's book or to more specialized books on their area of interest.

A final word of advice: Read the wise words posted by Andy the Cardician and the subsequent discussion here. Andy uses an excellent analogy to point out how many beginners can fall into the trap of buying all kinds of tricks and gimmicks, books and videos. Buying all kinds of expensive musical devices and knowing how musical instruments work doesn't make you a musician; In the same way, buying magic props and knowing how tricks work doesn't make you a magician. The real secret to magic isn't about spending money, it's about spending time. Along with the books recommended above, spend the time practicing to perfect the performance of just a few effects, and do them well.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Under the section on "Alternative choices for self-working card tricks" in my post above, I should have included the following title:

Giobbi's book contains seven routines of three self-working effects each (i.e. 21 total), but its strength is that he doesn't just teach how they are done, but teaches the showmanship and presentation necessary to make them true miracles, even for beginners.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
See the discussion here for more information on Card College Light (sorry for including the wrong link in the previous post).
caligari
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of caligari
Being still slightly new to serious magic, the books I that have been of immense help
to me are The Royal Road to Card Magic, Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, Expert at the Card Table and I'm planning to get Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic.

So far they have been a well of magical knowledge to me and as I've progressed, I've found that going back to the effects they teach seem new everytime as I slowly get my own performing style.Smile