The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Guy Bavli's videos - yuk! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Guy Bavli is an Israeli mentalist who has put out a few videos. Unless you're a glutton for punishment and don't mind spending your hard-earned money to subject yourself to listening to someone who speaks English TERRIBLY and, at times, virtually incomprehensibly, I feel you should avoid buying Bavli's videos.
Moreover, as I think anyone who's actually seen Bavli's single mentalism video (but also his trio of metal-bending videos as well) will attest, the video just may be the most amateurish, poorly produced video anyone has ever had the chutzpah to offer for sale. With Bavli dressed for the occasion in a tee shirt -- yes, a TEE SHIRT -- the picture quality of my original video tape looks worse than what one would expect of a 5th-generation copy. yes, it's THAT bad,
What's perhaps worse of all, in my opinion, is that in addition to the performer's excruciatingly bad English and the horrendous production quality of the video, the effects themselves that he performs, as well as his performances of them, are quite mediocre.
If he was so determined to put out an English-language video I feel it would have been FAR better for Bavli to have contracted with a solid, native-English-speaking mentalist to perform the effects. The video could have been titled something to the effect, "The Mentalism of Guy Bavli" with a subtitle such as, "As Performed by [insert performer's name]".
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 10:39, MentaThought wrote:
If he was so determined to put out an English-language video I feel it would have been FAR better for Bavli to have contracted with a solid, native-English-speaking mentalist to perform the effects. The video could have been titled something to the effect, "The Mentalism of Guy Bavli" with a subtitle such as, "As Performed by [insert performer's name]".

...and also to have the video produce by a compagny like L&L pub. I agree with you in all points.

Johnny
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Wow, and I was going to buy this. Thank you so much for that. You saved me a lot of money.
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I have nothing against the guy personally, but I have to say that I saw him perform live two years ago and he was absolutely awful. It was actually painful to watch his act as he bumbled around and eventually would reveal a thought or a card. I think he needs to work on his act some before he takes it on the road again (or, apparently, before he produces another video.)
Dove84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Dove84
I was also considering buying these. Glad I saw this.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
552 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I went to a lecture of his last year, and not only was it entertaining, but he had a lot of practical, useful effects.
I have some of his old DVDs. The production quality isn't super, but it isn't as bad as the OP wrote. He's a solid teacher.