The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Pre-show music (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Howdy, I would like to get folks opinion on the music that you play before the show starts.

Do you try to set a mood? Or just play what you like before the show starts?

The best music I've heard was during Mac King's show, he used songs that established his
character before he enters the stage, including "Clap your hands" as his entry.

By contrast, all I got from Lance Burton's music was that he really likes the Eagles.

How do you approach it?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very Professionally. All with a purpose. All of my acts have preshow music that both sets the tone/mood, preconditions my audience, and leads up to my introduction which is the most important part. In several of my preshow music lead up to the show I also have announcements strategically placed during the segues between songs sone cold some over the lip as talkovers depending on their message and purpose.

My intro has been created and mixed to set the tome for the show, create excitement, and introduce me with high energy and powerful traveling music to start the show. I have a variation of the same thing for each act and show I do. It creates amazing and measurable results. I even often get great feedback from those booking me as to how great the preshow and start of the show was. It is an element that can create value to yoru production.

Unfortunately, most performers do not think of their show as a production or performance, just their "show."

It is amazing to me that most performers do not recognize this as actually being a part of their performance. It is the first impression that precedes you.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Interesting, thanks for the input.

You brought up pre-show announcements, what is your opinion of humorous announcements
in addition to simple instructional announcement?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Pre-Show Ambiance:

You can set the mood prior to your show with some well-chosen pre-show warm-up tracks. This helps to settle the audience down and creates the right ambiance for your performance. The style of your pre-show music will vary depending on the nature of your act.

For a magic or mentalism show, mysterious-sounding music will create an anticipatory atmosphere. For a pre-school program, some fun, quirky songs will get the kids in the right mood. Warm-up music for a birthday party needs to be upbeat and fun.

For example, for my educational school shows I use the three Pre-Show Build-Up tracks from my "Make it Magic Performance CD." These songs create an air of mystery and a feeling of expectation as the kids are entering the hall. I won't reveal any of my compositional secrets, but I will tell you that these songs are deliberately crafted to act as a "control" device.

For my preschool programs, I use happy, up-tempo tunes like "Sorcerer's Samba" and "Soda Pop Genie” from Make it Magic Volume I, "Little Bunny" and "It's Magic" from Volume II, or "Twisted Toyshop" from the Performance CD.

For magic birthday parties, I usually set the pre-show mood with songs like “Eye On The Ball” and “Rockin’ Rabbit” from Make it Magic Volume I, and “Rocket Balloon Ride” and “Jester Jive” from Volume II.

Birthday party clowns would do well to choose appropriate warm-up songs like “Clown Cavalcade”, “Hourglass Serenade” and “Kitty Kat Song” from Make it Magic Volume I, and “Clowning Around”, “Vaudeville Vent” and Klutzy Klown” from Volume II.

For specific theme shows like Halloween or Holiday programs, I create the perfect pre- show ambiance with tracks from our Make it Spooky or our Make it Magic Christmas CD.

Choosing suitable introductory music to warm up your audience goes a long way toward getting them in the right mood, and actually makes them more receptive to your show.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2024, Fedora wrote:
You brought up pre-show announcements, what is your opinion of humorous announcements
in addition to simple instructional announcement?

As I said, the pre-show music and announcements can precondition you audience to the tone you desire and want to set, so if you are doing a fun, light, comedy show I think humorous announcements can set the tone and condition the audience for fun.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks Mindpro.

Arthur, it's good to hear from you again, I'm sure your your CD is top notch.

I downloaded a sample from one of your albums a while back, called 'Rossini's Barber" I believe, it
was really amusing.

Thanks for the input.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Tim Hannig offers this for preshow announcements:

https://performbettershows.com/order/#

Scroll down to the CD "The show before the show"