The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Combining more than 1 effect to make a routine. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
UKNeil
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
In my repertoire I perform Jamie Grant's Industrial Revelation and whilst they are examining the block of steel I load the coin in a Nest of Wallets.
I also perform a routine where I do Justin Miller's Ringslide. I then take the ring do a false transfer and load it into an envelope in a JOL Plus wallet.

I'm interested to hear how other people combine 2 effects to form 1 routine.
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
I remember my first such combination....I would riffle force the 7 of club, and while they were looking at it, I put down the 3 of Clubs, sliding a half dollar from under the deck to under the 3C. So a riff on the 3 1/2 clubs trick...

But the half I used was set up for my hopping half and would use it to go into that routine...

Always great to come up with putting things together
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I like to do that when a trick is particularly prone to spectators wanting to see a prop.
It goes over very well and covers a problem I had before My partner Tom first suggested it.
I have used that suggestion in several tricks since.

I do a $2 bill change into two $1 dollar bills and one is gaffed. I put that one away while starting patter for an origami fold of the other $bill into an elephant. (The dollar was pre-folded so it folds "magically" fast.)

I also have a trick where a blue backed card placed between two red backed card magically fades through to be on the bottom and such.(Larry Jennings' Close-Up Illusion) I go directly from that to handing out one of the non-gaffed cards to the spectator to use to find a friends chosen card.

I also like to do it when the patter or props of one trick naturally flow into another like two tricks involving the idea of getting through adversity or two rubber band tricks together.

When I'm in a Close-Up Magic Contest I always like to write the routine in a theme like Optimism vs Pessimism or String theory. It makes the show more cohesive. It also helps bring in some less openly POW tricks (on the face of them) to good effect. It keeps me from wanting to do all my dynamite tricks one after another which was a problem for me at one time.

"Magical Mary" Mowder