The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Tricolour by Simon Lipkin & The 1914 (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2024, Mind Circus wrote:
With three items its feels like most free-will type effects, which there are a plethora. I think color match routines need more than 3 colors.

Absolutely. What is that? 9 outs? My maths is terrible so forgive me if I'm wrong. If that is the case its very much pocket index territory and a slightly interesting opener.
Still, some people seem to be raving about it so hopefully there's more to it than the current trailer shows.
Anyway, that's enough speculation from me on something I've yet to see. I wish the creator all the very best with it, I thought he was superb in unbelievable.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2842 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I could be wrong, too, because my math skills are also terrible, but I think there are only six outs.

This what Google AI says:

"There are six possible arrangements of three objects, or permutations, written as 3P3. The six arrangements are:
(1,2,3)
(2,3,1)
(3,1,2)
(2,1,3)
(1,3,2)
(3,2,1)"
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2825 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
AI to the rescue! Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
eb02
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi

3 colors - 6 outs - 1*2*3=6
4 colors - 24 outs - 1*2*3*4=24

my 2 cents...
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1484 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2024, eb02 wrote:
Hi

3 colors - 6 outs - 1*2*3=6
4 colors - 24 outs - 1*2*3*4=24

my 2 cents...

I believe there are routines in the tutorial with 4 pens/colours too!
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2024, Stunninger wrote:
I could be wrong, too, because my math skills are also terrible, but I think there are only six outs.

This what Google AI says:

"There are six possible arrangements of three objects, or permutations, written as 3P3. The six arrangements are:
(1,2,3)
(2,3,1)
(3,1,2)
(2,1,3)
(1,3,2)
(3,2,1)"

I can vouch for this math because I have long done a routine involving 3 objects and a pocket index containing 6 folded billets. I’ve never had a situation where one of the 6 possible outs wouldn’t cover it so it must indeed be a maximum of 6. But one factor that makes it even more deceptive is it generally seems to most people that there are more possibilities than that, so I guess the same would apply here as well.
Delandrodders
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Delandrodders
The maths on outs is basic.
As eb02 says 1x2 =2 ie Which Hand.
1x2x3x4x5=120 outs and so on.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1803 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I had the pleasure of seeing a prototype of this a few months back and instantly wanted a set (which I've now ordered!) I've got a few colour match effects but often, they cater for the stage market and aren't as practical for walk around or strolling situations. What I love about this is, just pick up the pens, throw them into a pocket with a business card and you're set! I would say this is more of a 'system' rather than a routine and the colour match routine is only one of many clever idea's and routines. Placing caps on askew etc wouldn't necessarily allow for the handlings that Tricolour does and certainly not as 'safe' as other methods. Personally, a versatile colour match system for this price with this practicality was a no brainer for me when it comes to restaurant and walk around magic. I can't wait to get out a perform some of the routines!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Why are people talking about potential methods on here? It's the effect(s) upon the audience that matters, NOT the method!

Firstly, whilst I like the ideas possible with these, I don't think it would be advisable to really do more than one effect with them per sitting - as you'll then potentially put the heat upon the prop(s). I therefore wouldn't perceive this to be 'an entire act in your pocket', for that reason, either.

That said, I really like the look of this product but sadly, using 3 coloured Sharpie markers just doesn't fit my style - I'm an old fart and therefore a pencil/Swami guy (actually a Cross Pen & Pencil - for a reason outlined by Richard Osterlind). Bringing further pens into the mix would just look odd. I believe that this type of thinking always needs to be considered - in other words, does a prop fit you?

Those thoughts aside, this actually looks a decent product, which will hopefully inspire people to use their creativity around routining.

If I was younger, then this would definitely be on my 'to seriously think about' list.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
I suppose we end up talking about methods because realistically you can get all the reaction you really need out of a few billets and a pen. So to warrant forking out, a product needs to offer something extra across a range of features: presentation, routine and yes, method.
Delandrodders
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Delandrodders
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2024, Merc Man wrote:
Why are people talking about potential methods on here? It's the effect(s) upon the audience that matters, NOT the method!

Firstly, whilst I like the ideas possible with these, I don't think it would be advisable to really do more than one effect with them per sitting - as you'll then potentially put the heat upon the prop(s). I therefore wouldn't perceive this to be 'an entire act in your pocket', for that reason, either.

That said, I really like the look of this product but sadly, using 3 coloured Sharpie markers just doesn't fit my style - I'm an old fart and therefore a pencil/Swami guy (actually a Cross Pen & Pencil - for a reason outlined by Richard Osterlind). Bringing further pens into the mix would just look odd. I believe that this type of thinking always needs to be considered - in other words, does a prop fit you?

Those thoughts aside, this actually looks a decent product, which will hopefully inspire people to use their creativity around routining.

If I was younger, then this would definitely be on my 'to seriously think about' list.

Simply put it’s the section on the cafe to speculate on methods.
It’s often misused the opposite way around.
Speculation is totally what the latest and greatest is or should be about according to the rules.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
362 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
I’m just preordered. I’ve bought Simons downloads from 1914 and really liked them. Well taught, strong material and I’m hoping I get the same with this. I’m mainly interested in the other routines, I’m not a colour match guy. Will review when I’ve got it.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
More details been released and a bit more performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o-UbaBGLXc
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Pre order....I didn't see a release date mentioned. I do see on another site...Expected ship date: 04/26
Also, I'm going to buy this for the instructions alone. So, the release date is more important as I want to see instruction more than pens.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2024, simon hughes wrote:
I’m just preordered. I’ve bought Simons downloads from 1914 and really liked them. Well taught, strong material and I’m hoping I get the same with this. I’m mainly interested in the other routines, I’m not a colour match guy. Will review when I’ve got it.

Wondering if you can use word heist (From his trifecta download) with tricolour to make it more of a modular routine?
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
362 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
127 Posts

Profile of spudster85
The instructionals, provided to the pre-orders, went live tonight. I have to say, I was correct in how it works. But, completely off in where the secret lies. I was close, as I thought I saw something in the promos, but what I saw was not it. It is far more obvious than I thought. Yet, it is completely hidden at the same time. I have to say, I could inspect these and I doubt I would have spotted the method.

I've been watching the provided routines and I am excited to get these in hand. I do see that there is a lot of room for me to use these. And, very simple.

So far, I really like the Three Will routine. Three colored sharpies with black lids are mixed up. They are placed in the spec's pockets. A red cap is pulled out of the right pocket of the magician. In the spec's right pocket is the red sharpie. Blue cap pulled from magician's left pocket, blue sharpie in the spec's left pocket. Finally, green cap pulled from the magician's back pocket, and green sharpie in the spec's back pocket. As asked in this thread, each cap prediction is revealed before the pens are pulled from the spec's pockets. Pretty strong.

There are many more routines that I have not viewed. But, so far they are all top quality in production and explanation.

I'll update when I get this in hand and can share how it works in actual use.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Have been following this thread and initially was not sure it offered anything more than other similar color prediction effects. I currently use a 3 paperclip prediction that's been around for years so I was pretty sure that the color match prediction worked the same as there are only a few possible outcomes. But what's really selling it to me is the ability to not only match colors but when I saw the ability to predict what they draw as well, that has sold it to me. Not only is it impossible for me to figure out (meaning my spectators won't have a clue!) but also takes this effect up to a higher level with color AND drawing prediction. The performance on the trailer is incredible.
Gonna be getting this as soon as payday comes. Great.
quantum_swami
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of quantum_swami
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2024, markymarkmagicuk wrote:
Have been following this thread and initially was not sure it offered anything more than other similar color prediction effects. I currently use a 3 paperclip prediction that's been around for years so I was pretty sure that the color match prediction worked the same as there are only a few possible outcomes. But what's really selling it to me is the ability to not only match colors but when I saw the ability to predict what they draw as well, that has sold it to me. Not only is it impossible for me to figure out (meaning my spectators won't have a clue!) but also takes this effect up to a higher level with color AND drawing prediction. The performance on the trailer is incredible.
Gonna be getting this as soon as payday comes. Great.

I have been following this too and it looks great. But I wouldn't be so hasty about the drawing predictions in that performance to those magicians. It looked a little TOO impossible to me.

I see only three realistic explanations without stooges:

1 Pr_show
Images somehow known in advance to the magician and made to appear as if the guy was thinking/drawing for the first time.

2 Psychological f__ce
Yellow sun and green tree seem quite logical things to draw with those colours. This is brilliant if it hits but it's a big risk IMO. Don't think I would ever do it.

3 Pocket wr____g the prediction
I doubt it's this method because it looked hands off and the handwriting is too nice. Then again we only saw this on a close up shot inserted into the video with editing afterwards which may not have been what the spectators saw?

Needless to say I am sceptical about this one particular effect. HOWEVER overall the product looks very very promising because there is clearly so much you can do with it.

Sounds like whatever the secret it is, it's very very simple. But that's a huge plus point in my book.

Gonna wait for a few more reviews first just to be on the safe side. But I am very very VERY tempted by this one.

Quentin
SimonLipkin
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SimonLipkin
Hello all!

Just thought I’d pop a message on to say
A) thanks for your thoughts and nice comments about the trick
B) obviously I don’t just want to give methods away but I’m happy try and explain as much as I can

I wanted to create a utility for myself that didn’t involve electronics and wasn’t going to fail. I love the colour match effect and wanted something that could achieve that without worrying. That’s where Tricolour came from.

We led with the colour match plot on the trailers because it’s something to easily explain what can be done with the prop. But actually the other routines I teach are some of favourites. There are around 6 routines I teach. Drawing dupes, free will plots. There are two different chair test style routines on there which are my personal favourites. The gimmicks really are limited by your imagination and style. One thing I’m super passionate about is people making things their own. So hopefully what you have are all the tool and bits you need to give you everything to create your own custom routines.

To answer a couple of questions

You’re absolutely right about the number of outcomes with the colour match routine, but the handling and routing I think really makes this feel way more impossible. The prediction is on the table before anything seemingly happens and they can change their mind about what pens they’re picking as they go. That’s all built in.

The pens can be replaced whenever you need and with whatever colours you want

The envelopes you get a just there for a couple of routines so that you have them. There’s lots that can be done without them

If you want to add in an extra pen then I teach you how (personally I don’t think it’s necessary but go for it if you want)

It doesn’t have to be drawings, you could write words or anything you want etc

In the colour match routine where they draw anything, it is of course ballsy! But that’s something I love and encourage. However you have the solid safe option which works and hits just as hard. But give the ballsy one a go, you’ll enjoy it I promise.

Fingers crossed that covers most bits. I love simple and direct methods and presentations this ticks all the boxes for me. If you decide to give it a go then I hope you have as much fun as I do with it

Si