The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Tricolour by Simon Lipkin & The 1914 (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
755 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Https://the1914.com/products/tricolour

Simon Lipkin, star of Derren Brown's Unbelievable, has concocted a diabolically sneaky set of gimmicks that allow you to achieve jaw-dropping colour prediction effects using NO expensive electronics and NO sleight of hand!

The gimmicks are devious, the effects are mighty, and now they can finally be yours.

For many years Simon performed colour match routines using secret electronics, but after they malfunctioned during the heat of an important performance, he strived to find a superior way. He got to work making lemonade from lemons, or in Simon's case, making magic from markers. He emerged from his workshop with a close-up utility system that can achieve near-identical effects as their expensive, high-tech counterparts.

The box includes everything you need to begin performing the effects right away, including three Sharpie® markers, the devious gimmicks, long-lasting black Tyvek envelopes, and small pieces of card (billets) for your predictions.

Best of all, if the pens run out of ink, no problem. There are no expensive refills and you can replace them with ease from your local stationery supply store.
In the detailed, online video instructions you will learn:

Simon Lipkin's Signature Colour Match Routine
A participant chooses any pen at random and uses it to colour in a pre-drawn image. This is repeated a total of three times until a completely random colour combination has been created. Each stage feels so free and so fair, yet, impossibly you are able to predict the outcome of their choices with 100% accuracy.
Originally credited to Tony Anverdi and later popularised by Craig Filicetti, the colour match plot is a modern classic, and now it's your turn to perform this reputation maker with ease.

Three Will
You introduce three pens, each capped with a black lid. While your back is turned, your participant places each pen in a different pocket. You explain that despite their black appearance, each pen is actually a different colour. From your right pocket you produce a red lid, from your left pocket, a green lid, and from your back pocket, blue. Remarkably, when the participant takes the pens out of their pockets and uncaps them, they discover they've matched the same colours to the same pockets.

Colour Dupe
Your participant chooses any pen and draws any picture in secret while your back is turned. Despite both decisions being completely free choices, you are able to not only reveal the colour of the pen they used to draw, but reveal (or duplicate) their entire drawing!

Chenvelope Test
Three pens, three cards, three envelopes and three participants. All of the props are mixed and lots of choices made. Yet despite the fairness, you are able to prove that you knew the outcome of all events way ahead of time in this baffling close-up mentalism routine inspired by the traditional Chair Test plot.

We were originally going to leave it there (because that's already insane value), but six months later Simon called us with even more ideas! So we invited him back to the studio to teach amazing bonus content including a draw anything colour match effect and a sensational chair test contribution from master mentalist Marc Paul.

Strap in for an entertaining and enlightening journey of (quite literally) colourful mentalism from one of the most exciting new names in magic.
Perform professional-grade, top-tier mentalism without the hefty price tag.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
First watch of the demo...nice subtleties with the drawings. Second demo confirmed what I think this is. $64 for 3 "devious" gimmicks, pens and hopefully some outstanding information.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
After pre-ordering HOT, I think I'll wait for the reviews on this one Smile
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
127 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I placed the pre-order. I did not with HOT. Hopefully this one does not burn as bad as that one. (Boy they aptly named it! lol) I will keep everyone posted.

I have an idea of how this works. This is one of those I want to see if I am correct or not.
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Question: How early in the process is the prediction produced?
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1060 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2024, dirtyfoucault wrote:
After pre-ordering HOT, I think I'll wait for the reviews on this one Smile

Yes, keeping HOT on a shelf as a reminder not to preorder. That's remaining the baseline comparison for rushed out effects for a while. Preorder rarely seems to work out well for me. But they have at least managed to get endorsements on this one. So, at least you know it's been shared around before hand and faults may have been picked up on. Triharder seems to be getting positive feedback, so hopefully this is a return to form after a blip.

I'm interested to see if people feel it's worth the £50 though. Seems a high price for what it looks like, but seems it's got a decent amount of material and the potential as a utility item set. It doesn't really suit my performance persona though, so a bit much for me to take a chance that I can adapt. If I'm doing something colour based I'm more likely to do something with auras or gemstones. But does look like a nice set of routines if it suits your style. Be interested to see the reviews.
bpearce
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of bpearce
Preordered Tricolor, hopefully it turns out good and it’s not just multiple outs, with sharpie ink dots placed on the bottom of the sharpies (in that little divot) that corresponds to each respective color (red dot on the red sharpie etc)
There will always be someone better at some things than you are. There will always be someone worse at some things than you are. All you can really do in the end, is aim to be better than you were yesterday.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Hopefully it will be easy to "read" which sharpie is which without being obvious to the participants.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Heck, just placing the caps on askew from each other and you wouldn't need the dots. But I'm sure it's more than that. In any event, the magic isn't in the pens, it's the routines. That's (typically) mostly what matters. And it looks promising! (Although I'm not getting it. I'm waiting for the Shadow V2. Smile Unless someone wants to buy me both. I wouldn't be terribly mad at you.)
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4323 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I remember purchasing a long time ago a design duplication made and sold by Tannens using colored markers. I believe it was called Design in Mind. Thus may use a similar principle.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1207 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2024, Jonathan1000 wrote:
Question: How early in the process is the prediction produced?

Indeed this is the all important question.
My feeling not until the order of the pens has been decided.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
854 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
"YOU WILL DRAW A GREEN SMILEY FACE!" Well you didn't did you.
I drew the face.
You decided which of only 3 colors to color it.

I think this would of been a nice article in M.U.M, Linking Ring
or Magic Magazine 12 years ago.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2825 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
corindaman
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Wel Jheff correctly ‘called it out’ with his review of HOT before he had even got it ( he watched the trailer). This time he has again watched the trailer and he is saying this might be the Mentalism product of the year, on that basis ( I trust his judgement entirely) I have preordered!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2825 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Good point, Jheff is not one to BS
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
corindaman
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of corindaman
And I forgot to mention he is going to be selling it on Marketplace of the Mind, that again reassures me!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
I'd like to see a real world performance. There's not enough in the trailer to make a judgement.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Noobmaster69
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Noobmaster69
I hope there's more to it but in the demo video towards the end you can see the pens' colours even when the cap is on (which doesn't need a "precision made gimmick" because it works with every Sharpie cap).
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Maybe I'm missing something but this does appear remarkably underwhelming.
It seems to be one of those tricks that will leave the spectator thinking there's only one possible explanation as to how it's done, the pens are marked. Doesn't matter how cleverly gimmicked they are, if you can see what they're picking up that is the only logical explanation.
Hopefully there's more to it than that.
Mind Circus
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
128 Posts

Profile of Mind Circus
With three items its feels like most free-will type effects, which there are a plethora. I think color match routines need more than 3 colors.