The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Phoenix by Higar & Hanson Chien (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
More info:

magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4323 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
At almost $2 a pop , not something you can do strolling. I would save this for special occasions. I would only consider getting this if they provide refills at a lower price.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2497 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
And did not see refills anywhere...and I wonder why Theory 11's price (seems to be the only place to get U.S. currency), is $10 more than the other currencies?
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3366 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Right & the Price Is suppose to be 39.95 ? Not 49.95 ! I wonder if you end DIRTY with this trick if Not NO big deal seems like a very tiny piece to ditch .
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2448 Posts

Profile of benbv
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, dooblehorn wrote:
And did not see refills anywhere...and I wonder why Theory 11's price (seems to be the only place to get U.S. currency), is $10 more than the other currencies?

That has been asked in one of the FB groups and Hanson replied that the refills ARE the product…
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2448 Posts

Profile of benbv
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, magicinsight wrote:
At almost $2 a pop , not something you can do strolling. I would save this for special occasions. I would only consider getting this if they provide refills at a lower price.

See my comment just above - doesn’t seem to be what’s planned for now…
sharpace
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of sharpace
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, goldeneye007 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, dooblehorn wrote:

That has been asked in one of the FB groups and Hanson replied that the refills ARE the product…

Yes, refills are the product. If you finished all the supplies you need to order the whole package again.
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2448 Posts

Profile of benbv
I really wonder how examinable it is… the amount of time I’ve heard something is examinable and really it isn’t…
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, tophatter wrote:
Right & the Price Is suppose to be 39.95 ? Not 49.95 ! I wonder if you end DIRTY with this trick if Not NO big deal seems like a very tiny piece to ditch .

so you are 'dirty' but in theory no one will discover anything....supposedly

i don't have the gimmick in hand yet so time will tell but I can tell you is there is nothing to ditch
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
The phrase “can be immediately examined” is so ambiguous. Is the ad copy referring to a casual inspection or something literally examined under a magnifying glass for several minutes.

After watching the tutorial I am very curious if what is supplied is truly as examinable as it is claimed to be. I hope it is. But then I think the formation of the hole itself may play a part in it too. It is possible that in certain situations it is not as examinable as in others. But I am only speculating on that because I have not yet received the physical product. Well, we should all be finding out soon I guess. In the meantime, this is truly a product where one has to withhold judgment until the product is in hand.

I’d still like to know why Theory 11 is charging $10 more though.
Haribopeep
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Haribopeep
You are as dirty as Scotch & Whiskey at the end.
So fully examinable unless under a microscope.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, Haribopeep wrote:
You are as dirty as Scotch & Whiskey at the end.
So fully examinable unless under a microscope.

I think we are all hoping that is truly the case. After watching the tutorial it almost seems too good to be true. As already stated, anyone who hasn’t already received this will have to withhold judgement.

As far as fooling magicians, I almost think magicians are perhaps the worst at examining things. First of all, most don’t want to embarrass the performer by examining it close enough to discover the secret, especially when being filmed. Secondly, most magicians assume if you are allowing them to examine it then it must be either absolutely genuine or so finely gimmicked that it would be impossible to find anything. As such, most (like Copperfield did) give it a very quick once over while not expecting to find anything.

With laymen, I do think something like this may prompt a closer inspection than someone might look at gaffed coin for instance. But again, only time will tell.

In my opinion Misled is still the king of all of these types of bill penetrations although Phoenix may be able to be used in conjunction with Misled to possibly create a super duper bill and sharp object routine.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Although I don't have the product yet this appears that it would be examinable under perfomring conditions, you hand it to someone, they examine it and hand it back. The bill is gimmicked and remains so at the end of the trick it is not something you can give someone to take home. Therefore it suffers from the "everday object that is not quite normal" problem. In a casual environement you would want to borrow a bill, do the effect then hand it back, that is two switches under heat.
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2448 Posts

Profile of benbv
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, Xcath1 wrote:
Although I don't have the product yet this appears that it would be examinable under perfomring conditions, you hand it to someone, they examine it and hand it back. The bill is gimmicked and remains so at the end of the trick it is not something you can give someone to take home. Therefore it suffers from the "everday object that is not quite normal" problem. In a casual environement you would want to borrow a bill, do the effect then hand it back, that is two switches under heat.

Hmmm I can imagine handlings where you could do that without much difficulty… especially the second switch: just take the bill back and say “well I guess I deserve to keep it” and go to your inside jacket pocket / back trousers pocket, do the switch and come back nearly instantly saying “no just kidding” and hand it back.
Haribopeep
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Haribopeep
I too have actually been handed the restored gimmick and it’s examinable more so than a Get Sharkey deck for example.
Unless a layman knows it’s gimmicked in a specific area they will not find it.
Like anything else if you leave it with them forever they have a chance.
In reality you won’t be doing that, I wasn’t being kind when I saw it I presumed the bill had been switched but I certainly checked it properly and would tell you if I found anything.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, Haribopeep wrote:
I too have actually been handed the restored gimmick and it’s examinable more so than a Get Sharkey deck for example.
Unless a layman knows it’s gimmicked in a specific area they will not find it.
Like anything else if you leave it with them forever they have a chance.
In reality you won’t be doing that, I wasn’t being kind when I saw it I presumed the bill had been switched but I certainly checked it properly and would tell you if I found anything.

I certainly cannot disagree with you until I can check it out myself but I am hoping that I will be able to completely agree.

But as far as checking for a gimmick in a specific area, well there is obviously a very specific area they will want to inspect and that is where the hole was of course, so there’s no getting around that anyway.

How close can they inspect it? Stay tuned to this channel!
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1136 Posts

Profile of tenchu
I wonder if this could be used in Yoshio Hirose's "The Invisible Hole" so the participant would look at a spot where there's no heat at all.

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1136 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Double post
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, goldeneye007 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, Xcath1 wrote:

Hmmm I can imagine handlings where you could do that without much difficulty… especially the second switch: just take the bill back and say “well I guess I deserve to keep it” and go to your inside jacket pocket / back trousers pocket, do the switch and come back nearly instantly saying “no just kidding” and hand it back.

That could work but still of course it refer the switch before the dirty work like in Fraud. So few people carry singles today anyway.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
No need to switch it before, besides it’s hard to borrow notes these days anyway.
Just allow for a cursory examination and then take it back and switch like Goldeneye said. Now offer to let them keep the bill if you feel so inclined.