The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Need help for an additional climax to "The Four Burglars" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi People,

In the well-known four-burglars trick, the Jacks end up at the top of the deck, where they can, for instance, be picked up by a "Getaway Helicopter" that carries them out of danger.

I got to thinking -- probably because I've read too much P. G. Wodehouse -- that an additional surprise, after the Jacks end up on the roof would be to say that they all slid down a convenient drainpipe to the ground and escaped. In other words the Jacks, after magically rising to the top of the deck, would next be seen at the bottom.

I know I've seen this sort of thing somewhere -- maybe in an elevator trick -- but I can't think where. If anyone has any ideas or references I'd be grateful. Palming, Passes, and culls are currently beyond my reach, though the number of tricks that I want to learn that use the Cull is steadily mounting. So if I'm willing to wait on my idea long enough to learn a cull -- which I gather takes a lot of practice -- that might be a solution.

Thanks for any help people can offer.

Bob
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
A switch would be a fast and neat way to achieve your aim.

For instance a Turnover Change which works with multiple cards would fit the bill: The 4 jacks are lying on the table face up and in the act of turning them face down they end up at the bottom of the deck and four indifferent face-down cards lie on the table.

Here’s a link to Conjuring Archive to Turnover Changes & Variations. Enter ‘multiple’ in the Filter Result field to bring up only the variations that work with multiple cards.

Here’s a handling of a Marlo Turnover Change. The performer changes one card, but you can change 3 or 4 if you want.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks Claudio! I replied yesterday but must have forgotten to click "submit." I especially appreciate the time you took to gather those links. I watched the video and found that I own some of the books that include multiple turnover changes.

Call me picky if you like, but here's what makes me hesitate. To my mind, it isn't logical to put the jacks on the table and then magically move them to the bottom of the deck. Ideally it would be better if the audience saw the Jacks on the top, and then, after little procedure, saw that they had dropped to the bottom. That may be difficult, though, given the restrictions I've placed on the problem (e. g., no passes).
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Hi Bob,

You may have already read this, but I published an article on the classic handling of "The Four Burglars" last month:

Easy Does It: The Four Burglars

I've almost finished writing a follow-up article that discusses a few variants with kicker endings. The cards don't end up on the bottom but become trapped between the two black Kings in the middle of the deck. Full disclosure: The method uses a Turnover Pass, but this move isn't as difficult as people think. You can also get away with a reasonably sloppy technique due to the logical "external reality" of this particular pass.

Marty

P.S. I'll post a link to the second article when I finish it, probably sometime next week.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
How are you revealing the four jacks on the top? Turning them over one at a time to the table? Just spreading over four cards and flipping them over? Deck on the table or in the hands?
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Marty and Frank.

I look forward to reading your article and its followup, Marty. I've been getting kind of interested in the turnover pass, though I'm not sure my talent is great enough to learn it. Only one way to find out, but I'd prefer an easier handling.

Frank, I was thinking of just turning over the top four cards all at once, leaving them on the top, and spreading them on top of the deck to display them. I'm happy to modify that, but, as I mentioned above, the effect would be more magical, I'd think, if the jacks weren't removed from the deck. I suppose I could use the trick as a closer, have duplicate jacks on the bottom, and somehow bury the jacks that I've just displayed on top in the middle of the deck... Or maybe use a transfer cut, but too much procedure would ruin the effect.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Bob, I should have mentioned that my variation of the classic "The Four Burglars" doesn't need to use the Turnover Pass. You can get by just fine by openly cutting the pack, and the trick is still impressive. Although, the pass does make it more magical.

FYI, my trick involves the four Kings as four policemen tasked with guarding a priceless diamond necklace (the Ten of Diamonds). During the second phase, two Kings hide in the hotel while two stay outside in the van (the card box). This is a play on the Spies in a Van trope. The Jacks break into the hotel via four locations but get caught by the undercover detectives. However, when the cards are spread across the table, the Ten of Diamonds is missing! The card box is opened, and the Ten is sandwiched between the two Kings. It was an inside job!

I've moved this to the top of my "to write" list so that it will appear in The Ruseletter later this month.

Marty

P.S. I'd never use duplicate Jacks in this particular trick; it is the most obvious solution to the multiple card rise effect. You want people to suspect that you have extra Jacks, then later prove them wrong. The fact that it uses no duplicates is one of the best things about this trick.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Marty. You've probably seen this already; if not, it may interest you because it uses the "inside job" idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyznIv0Np8c

Bob
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Bob,

That trick was actually the inspiration for my variation, along with "The Three Knaves" in A Notable Discovery of Coosnage (1591).

Tom's trick is great. I like it a lot.

Marty
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
How about that! He's not only a creative magician but a good explainer. One could say the same of you now I think about it.

Thanks for moving your trick to the top of "to write." I like the "missing 10D idea" and am excited to try this.

Bob