The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: The ‘Holy Grail’ of Card Locations: A Chance to Win $100 - a competition on Lybrary.com (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Came across this today: https://www.lybrary.com/the-holy-grail-o......436.html

Looks like there’s a competition going on over at Lybrary. The Ad Copy says the winner gets $100, and it’s only $10 to enter

Apparently you’re supposed to figure out the method for a card trick to win, the rules are in the Ad Copy
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Love things like this, I've got a couple of ideas, I tend to come at things from a "this is how I would do it..." approach, not always correct but that the beauty of the artform for me
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Yep, that’s the best thing about the art. Sometimes seeing a performance allows you to create your own methods, regardless of what method was used in the performance itself
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
So does one eventually get the solution then? A bit unclear. Im guessing you do. I'm always game for a... game? Smile
mantel
View Profile
Special user
925 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2024, dyoung wrote:
So does one eventually get the solution then? A bit unclear.

It's implied that you eventually get the solution at the end of the month, unless someone's guess is correct.

Quote:
All guesses are to be posted in the secret forum on Lybrary.com. (If you do not know how to access the secret forum see FAQ #16.) Even though you can only make one guess, you can read the guesses of others until the end of the competition to see if anyone else correctly guessed the method. (Chris Wasshuber will be provided the solution, so he will be your 'guarantee' that there is in fact a solution.)
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Not if you take the wording strictly. Smile But like I said, I imagine that the full solution is available to anyone who participates. I do wish there was more info on what it would look like, as we all have 1000 impossible card finds. I have abandoned more clever solutions for more aesthetically pleasing ones in the past.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2024, Gary Fisher wrote:
Yes the guarantee could be made by100’s of us and would look valid.
The simple fact is 1000 plus solutions would meet the current ad copy.
Like has been said there has not been enough info on what it would actually look like.
Its just a game to make money from what I can see.

When you purchase the product you get a performance video along with a list of conditions. With that, the solutions narrow down to half a dozen or less.
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Sorry, just to be clear - are you buying the method for $10 or paying $10 to enter the competition (and won't receive the method unless your guess is correct)?
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2024, JerryMN wrote:
Sorry, just to be clear - are you buying the method for $10 or paying $10 to enter the competition (and won't receive the method unless your guess is correct)?

The latter is what’s happening here. $10 to enter the competition. Upon entering you receive a PDF with a link to a performance and some conditions. You then access a secret forum where all the guesses are posted, one per buyer. You post your guess there too. If yours is correct, you get $100. The first to guess correctly gets $100.

You can post your guess whenever you want. You can wait for others to guess first, see if they’re wrong, then post your own. Alternatively you can post your guess right away.

In the secret forum you can read all the previous guesses and see if they’re right or wrong. This will help you with your own guess.

The competition ends the moment a right guess is made. When a right guess is made, the PDF cannot be purchased. So if the PDF is purchasable, as it still is, that means the competition is still ongoing.

That’s my understanding based on what the creator told me.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1184 Posts

Profile of Chris
Folks, this is not a scam or a way to make a quick buck. After all, it could even be a losing proposition for the author. When the Unnamed Magician approached me with the idea I loved it because I always like new, unique, or innovative ideas. Consider it a puzzle. Can you solve it? Nobody is forced to enter the challenge. You have my word that this will be processed according to the rules laid out. Since everybody who enters sees the guesses in the secret forum and it will terminate when a correct guess has been entered, everybody who enters this challenge will know the method if somebody gets it correct. If nobody gets it right then you will not know the method even if you entered. At least that is the setup right now. I am there to oversee the process to make sure it is fair. Several have already accepted the challenge but so far nobody has gotten it correct.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Chris.k
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chris.k
I thought that we will get the method after one month if nobody found it.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1184 Posts

Profile of Chris
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2024, Chris.k wrote:
I thought that we will get the method after one month if nobody found it.

That was not promised in the original setup. However, the author has informed me that he will release the method to all participants regardless of whether somebody wins or not. Thus if you participate you will at the latest in one month know how this is done.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
I checked today and the product page over at lybrary.com is still active so I assume this is still running, has no one won yet?

Is anyone in the competition that can provide us updates?
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1184 Posts

Profile of Chris
The competition will end this Sunday evening, May 12th, at midnight EST. Nobody has won it yet. The win is still in your reach ...