The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Our new arrivals :: Mathematician whose magic began at Haines House of Cards (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Richard Weber
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Richard Weber
I have made a few posts on the forum so far and now wish to introduce myself. I posted yesterday about something I newly discovered - a sort of game for practicing mnemonica. If you like mnemonica then I think you will enjoy reading that post.

I gained my education in magic in the 1960-70s from books by Tarbell, Erdnase, Vernon and Lorayne. During my teenage years in Cincinnati, Ohio (home of US Playing Card Company and Haine House of Cards), I frequently entertained at birthday parties, with classic tricks like cutting and restored ropes, the egg bag, linking rings, and reel magic to earn some extra pocket money. So although an amateur, I can claim to having been paid to perform. It was a time when every purchase from Haines House of Cards required me to give a personal performance to Mr. Haines himself. I was on a tight budget. Those Tarbell books costs months' of my pocket money.

As a student at Cambridge University in the UK, I served as the secretary of the Pentacle Club, where I had the privilege of witnessing performances by local legends like Claude Perry. Other members were John Davenport (from a famous UK magic family) and the Master of Churchill College, Sir William Hawthorne. I recall out Club travelling to London to perform a few things at the Magic Circle in the 1970s. My act was a version of the Substitution Trunk Illusion - probably the only time I will perform at that exalted place.

When performing, my repertoire often includes classics like Curry's "Out of this World" and a rendition of "Magician Makes Good," both of which I mastered about the age of 10 and have since performed countless times. I find great satisfaction in routines that incorporate elements of psychology, and I'm continually astounded by my success rate with the Classic Force.

Now retired from university, I have time to return to my passion of years ago. I am delighted by the wealth of resources available today that were unimaginable during my formative years: an abundance of new books, vibrant online communities, magic retailers, and the convenience of watching performances online. Young magicians today are truly fortunate. My focus now is on refining my card skills, with the intention of delighting my friends with classic routines.

I live not far from the London Magic Circle and greatly enjoyed their Stars Of The Magic Circle show there on April 6 2024. Friends ask me if I understand how the tricks were done. But I tell them that is not the point. I am there to enjoy the performances, not to solve a puzzle. They want me to tell them how it was done, but even if have some insight into the methods employed, I prefer to keep the magic alive by preserving its sense of wonder.

My professional life has been in the study of Mathematics, and especially Probability. I have attended mathematical talks with other mathematicians with interests in magic, such as Ron Graham and Persi Diaconis. For that reason Tamariz's "Total Coincidence" and Aaronson's "Shuffle Bored" resonate deeply with me. I am now performing those for friends (my one deck version of "Total Coincidence" that takes half the time). I am also getting a good reaction from Vernon's "Out of Sight Out of Mind". My aim is to develop a small repertoire of knock-out effects to entertain friends when we go on a cruise at the end of the summer.

I am looking for places where I can meet other magicians in London, without trying to join the Magic Circle. But as yet I have not found any club. Maybe someone can advise.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
384 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Welcome to the Café. Your repertoire is great. Well presented those effects entertain and fool deeply.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Welcome...quite the impressive background.

You might try the British IBM ring. It says it's quite large, but I didn't see location on their website:

https://britishring.org.uk/

But they've a convention coming up this fall. Good luck
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."