The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Short, fast opener tricks (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Hello, I always start with some fast, short opener tricks that seem to have the wow factor, rope to silk, silk to wand. is there any other short, fast tricks you can recommend, thanks
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
The magic bubble (wonder bubble). The one where you blow bubbles and grab one in the air and it becomes solid.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Appearing cane, silk to candle, even a bill change is cool
piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2024, A Show By Joe wrote:
Appearing cane, silk to candle, even a bill change is cool

hello, can you possible recommend a simple bill change, without tt, I was looking at this one (DynaSwitch trick Mehdi Camirand ), but its no longer available, thanks
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Double color changing Silk (made of acetate) is quick, visual and easy to do. I only use one of the changes, that is to say, I do not change it back. for younger groups the acetate is fine and lasts forever. It is worth making some "silk Tips" to tie at the junction of the "Tied silks". Real silk looks better but will also need tied tips added and you have to be more careful of the lighting.

The handling that my partner provided makes a normally awkward trick into a graceful one. It is used in my warm-up as an example of why "you need to pay attention or you could miss the Magic."

"Magical Mary" Mowder
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Rope through body wows.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
„can you possible recommend a simple bill change, without tt“

I can highly recommend the simple version in which paper and banknote are simply stuck together. When performed well, the trick is very well received.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Daniel is right, I have a two $bill to 2 $1s that works that way and it is great. While it is no longer a fast opener, it is particularly good if you do a trick (like refold an origami Elephant) with one of the bills to cover ditching the other gaffed one.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
You can use a thumb tip for a change. I use for younger kids, changing two 1 dollar bills into a 2 dollar bill. There is a way to tape the 2 dollar bill behind one so it is easier to carry.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
We seem to be talking about very different tricks here. I mean the trick where you show a piece of paper from both sides, then fold it, then unfold it again, and then there's a banknote that you show from both sides. The trick takes about 10 seconds.

The glued-together version has the disadvantage that you can't show the paper and the banknote completely from both sides as you can with the version using the thumb tip. You have to cover a small area. In my opinion, however, this is not noticed at all. This may be different in close-up performances for older spectators. In some performances I have received spontaneous applause from the children's audience for this trick, which shows that it is very well received. It is a great trick.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Another great opener for children shows is the thumb tip and silk routine by David Ginn described in his book Children Lough Louder. In about 20 seconds a silk appears, vanishes and reappears in your hands. Great magic too.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Used to start my Children program with the Coin Pail, saying its from my Wishing Well, and to collect wishes the Children pretend to toss to me. For an Adult Program, use it, as was asked by the County Tax Collector to collect Entertainment Taxes. Some times through their Nose (?)
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Appearing canes were mentioned above. Vanishing canes, or cane to silks, are along the same lines. Fantasio even made a vanishing wand, and for a while, David Ginn sold them with 2 matching streamers (I own a black and white wand to black and white streamers, and also own a red and white wand to red and white streamers -- the red one was rare). Although Fantasio canes are now rare, you can still fine them used. Plus, there are other brands available.

Another quick / visual trick is called "The Rising Cane" by JL Magic (3 canes / long wands appearing from a coin purse). They come with 3 black canes or 3 coloured canes (my set has red, blue, and yellow). They work on the principle of the appearing pole, just smaller. Christopher T. Magician teaches his routine in one of his lectures. Sold by many magic dealers.

Another quick / visual trick are streamers from a tt. We discussed this on another thread not too long ago.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.