The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: First Magic Performance at Friends Wedding: Seeking Advice (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Snafu,

You need to ask yourself, do you really want to perform at this wedding or are you just being polite to the wedding couple? If you do end up performing, I would suggest performing just three effects and repeat those from group to group. I would avoid learning new effects/sleight, instead focus on making those three effects as entertaining as possible. Preferably, quick, to the point, and effects that play at chest level. Having guests hold things can be challenging as they will most likely have a drink in hand. (High top tables are a magician’s best friend) . I perform approximately 20 weddings a year and they are my favorite settings…people are there to celebrate and to have fun, you are an added (and probably) unexpected bonus. I would personally recommend performing during a small portion of the cocktail hour….then enjoy the wedding as a guest.

Just my two cents,

Mike
tristan magic
View Profile
New user
Greece
14 Posts

Profile of tristan magic
Hello dear friend! Everyone starts, at some point, by doing its 1st show or gig. You have already take nice pieces of advise, but here some more...

1) Choose easy tricks that won't make you feel more nervous.
2) Prepare your routines but -at the same- be ready to improvise and interact with the audience.
3) Dress well.
4) Don't adress to the spectators that you're an amateur. Feel nice with yourself, smile and introduce yourself as the couple's magician.
5) Don't overdo it! Perform just some minutes for each guest and then move on to the next one. Also, don't perform all night. When you finish your set, you're the couple's friend and not the magician. Remember they are the main stars!
6) Obviously, if the couple ask you to perform more, do it but just a little bit!
7) Don't perform when the dinner is served. Prefer, during the welcome drink, or after dinner, or early during the party.

and finally...

8) Enjoy it and learn from it!

Good luck! You'll be great!
Tristan
"The Maestro Magician"
Magic & Music Art Productions
https://tristanmagic.com/