The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: First Magic Performance at Friends Wedding: Seeking Advice (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SNAFU
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SNAFU
Hello everyone!
I've been performing magic as a hobby for two years, mainly for friends and colleagues. Now, a couple who are friends of mine are getting married in September, and since they love magic, they've asked me to perform at their wedding. Initially, I politely declined because I was nervous and also worried that they might be asking just to be nice. However, after they asked me again earnestly, I felt I couldn't really say no, thinking it was important to the bride. I agreed to think of something, and they haven't given me any specific instructions on how to perform.

The wedding will be a casual affair with about 75 guests, and the couple is in their mid-thirties. Sitting here, having never done a real performance, I'm unsure about what to do. I've ordered the Anniversary Waltz, which seems perfect for the occasion after some research here. I'm not up for a big "show," that's a bit too intense for me. I could imagine doing some close-up magic for smaller groups. I think I have enough tricks for 2-3 sets of 3 tricks each. I need to polish my presentation, but there's still time. My biggest issue is approaching groups to perform; I always feel like I'm intruding or imposing. Does anyone have any tips for me?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Your first instinct was correct. September is 15 minutes away. The only way your presentation will get better is by working for RSI audiences a LOT between now and then.

Do you know a performer you can hire as a wedding gift? The issue you have is that while the bride may be willing to overlook some of the issues that pop up, when the audience becomes other guests, who are there to drink and celebrate, that latitude will disappear.

You are taking a step into a uncontrolled environment without the option of just stopping.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
snm
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of snm
What are RSI audiences? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Real audience. Auto correct is terrible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Congrats on getting asked to do some magic at a special occasion.They obviously know you and since they asked you twice, have confidence in you. That's a compliment. Let's be real, you don't have "performance"
experience but what you do have is 2 people who want you to be there, and to interact with their guests.

It's a great opportunity, provided you let your friends know, as you mentioned, your limitations. If you feel comfortable doing effects you know well for small groups that doesn't sound unreasonable. After all
you said you have performed for family and friends for 2 years. How were you received by them?

If you do decide to go for it, just be you and have fun. You are there for the bride and groom and a good approach to the guests, some I'm sure you will know, is just to say ( whatever their names are) asked me
to perform a little magic for you.

I've performed at many weddings and the performance time was after guests arrived at the reception,
got settled, greeted one another and found a seat waiting for the bride and groom to arrive. It's going to be a short performance time because once the bridal party arrives all attention will be on them as well as the speeches and toasts etc.

I've also performed when people were waiting for their table to be called to get their food. Great time to interact. I say NO to any formal performance. You WILL be nervous, that's a fact but focus on just
being friendly. It's NOT ABOUT YOU, it's about the bride and groom and showing the guests something fun.

Perform what you know and do best. Like Danny said, September will be here in 15 minutes. Don't think and effect/trick you bought will be performance ready without due diligence.

Wish you the best. If your heart is in the right place, I'll bet you'll have a great time and a boost of confidence as a bonus.. Be likeable and HAVE FUN!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Here's the thing, do you want to enjoy the wedding? If you truly do, then pass on the magic.

Every year at Christmas I perform a magic set for my family. It is nice and they enjoy it but it is work. You must be practiced and prepared. You have to get in character and BE ON! That makes it hard to fully experience and enjoy the event at times.

Your wedding experience will be different. If that is okay with you, cool. But understand what you are getting into and what the tradeoffs will be.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2024, Kaliix wrote:
Here's the thing, do you want to enjoy the wedding? If you truly do, then pass on the magic.

Every year at Christmas I perform a magic set for my family. It is nice and they enjoy it but it is work. You must be practiced and prepared. You have to get in character and BE ON! That makes it hard to fully experience and enjoy the event at times.

Your wedding experience will be different. If that is okay with you, cool. But understand what you are getting into and what the tradeoffs will be.

This is great advice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Do it. They have seen what you do and they like it. Stick to a few tricks you are very confident of. Anniversary Walts is perfect so make it the one new trick and practice practice.

When I began, I was lucky. I didn't have the experts on the Magic Cafe giving me advice. People let me know they liked what I did and I worked it all out on my own. Have fun. Don't take yourself to seriously.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
SNAFU, this is a good opportunity for you to get experience at a wedding, I wouldn't pass on it.

If you don't already perform a stand-up up show, this isn't a great place to learn it. But
strolling is very easy in this environment, I really wouldn't worry to much.

As for approaching groups, folks are usually really receptive to socializing at a reception.
Approach, make eye contact, "my name is SNAFU, I was asked by the bride to perform
as the magician here today, would anyone be interested in seeing a quick trick?" will
get you through most of the time.
SNAFU
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SNAFU
Hey,

thank you for all your tips and your feedback.

Quote:
On Apr 14, 2024, davidpaul$ wrote:
After all you said you have performed for family and friends for 2 years. How were you received by them?

In the last year, pretty well, I think. I often get approached at parties by people who haven't seen my tricks yet, telling me they've heard about them and asking me to perform. I think that's good feedback. Tricks like the ACR or OOTW are now so smooth that I can perform them without any issues.

Quote:
I've performed at many weddings and the performance time was after guests arrived at the reception,
got settled, greeted one another and found a seat waiting for the bride and groom to arrive. It's going to be a short performance time because once the bridal party arrives all attention will be on them as well as the speeches and toasts etc.

I've also performed when people were waiting for their table to be called to get their food. Great time to interact. I say NO to any formal performance. You WILL be nervous, that's a fact but focus on just
being friendly. It's NOT ABOUT YOU, it's about the bride and groom and showing the guests something fun.

I feel that weddings in the USA follow a stricter schedule than here. This will be more of a relaxed party after the ceremony, with food coming from a food truck. So, in my mind, I can casually walk around and show some tricks to small groups (and stop when I feel it's enough). But whether there is a "best time" for this, I will discuss further with the couple.

Quote:
Wish you the best. If your heart is in the right place, I'll bet you'll have a great time and a boost of confidence as a bonus.. Be likeable and HAVE FUN!

Thank you!
SNAFU
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SNAFU
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2024, Kaliix wrote:

Thank you, that's good advice. I mainly want the couple to enjoy their wedding. If I can enhance their day by performing a little magic, the stress is worth it. After all, it's their big day, not mine.
SNAFU
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SNAFU
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2024, Fedora wrote:
SNAFU, this is a good opportunity for you to get experience at a wedding, I wouldn't pass on it.

If you don't already perform a stand-up up show, this isn't a great place to learn it. But
strolling is very easy in this environment, I really wouldn't worry to much.

Thank you. Yes, I would feel absolutely uncomfortable doing a stand-up show, which is why I don't plan to do that.

Quote:
As for approaching groups, folks are usually really receptive to socializing at a reception.
Approach, make eye contact, "my name is SNAFU, I was asked by the bride to perform
as the magician here today, would anyone be interested in seeing a quick trick?" will
get you through most of the time.

Sounds simple and good. Thank you, I will try it that way ;-)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2024, SNAFU wrote:
So, in my mind, I can casually walk around and show some tricks to small groups (and stop when I feel it's enough).

Here is something that you may want to consider. Stop when THEY feel it is enough. Usually two different things entirely.

Good luck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
For confidence at your first table do a self worker that you know inside out and/or a trick that is technically very easy that you also know inside out. This will power you onwards to go to others with confidence. After that, do whatever tricks you've planned to do.
As to what to say when you approach a table as someone else said, tell them "the happy couple have asked you (me) to show everyone a couple of tricks is that OK?" Also add that you do magic as a hobby so they know you're not a pro but are someone who has put some flight time in.
Good luck!
mrsmiles
(UK)
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
A great time to perform is after the ceremony and the start of the reception. Often the wedding party is off having pictures taken, and folks are just standing around getting drinks and eating apps. Often the various friends and families of groom and bride don't know each other. So strolling magic helps break the ice and gives guests something fun. The approaches outlined here are great...just a simple hello and ask.

Then you can quit and enjoy the night. Let the dinner, speeches, and music/dancing commence. Maybe try to get Anniversary Waltz in for the happy couple, but otherwise you can relax...

Of course it all varies on how wedding is planned...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He said food is coming from a food truck so no real way to do that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Do it man! You only have one life and one reality. People at weddings are drunk anyway and who cares if they don't like you. The more experience the better. Take control and believe in yourself!
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
93 Posts

Profile of raether
I agree. Get out there and have fun doing magic tricks for the wedding. We magicians can fall into a trap of needing our performances to be perfect before we go out and perform. So, we never perform and just collect tricks as a hobby. The reality is that the perfection comes after performing many times.
Helmut Raether
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2024, raether wrote:
I agree. Get out there and have fun doing magic tricks for the wedding. We magicians can fall into a trap of needing our performances to be perfect before we go out and perform. So, we never perform and just collect tricks as a hobby. The reality is that the perfection comes after performing many times.

Very true BUT I don't think you should go sell a paid performance to someone if you are not 100% confident in yourself along with 100% spot on with your effects with your presentation and the methods(moves) required to perform the trick flawlessly. Since this is for friends who asked SNAFU to perform then yes I would do it for the experience.

At this point, in regards to SNAFU, I would be carrying some of the tricks I plan on doing at the upcoming wedding everyday starting now and perform them every chance I got out in public to whomever politely agrees to watch. Majority people love magic and will give you the opportunity to "show them something" if you ask. The only way to truly gather valuable experience you will learn from is to perform for people you do not know. Why? Because you do not them therefore you will be more nervous to perform for them. The more you do the more comfortable you will become.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2024, Dannydoyle wrote:
He said food is coming from a food truck so no real way to do that.

Doh! That's what I get for not reading closely...apologies. I'll go back to sitting in the corner...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."