The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Need help finding a good kid show trick… (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
My 8 year old granddaughter asked me to do a little show for her 2nd grade class and I accepted the challenge. It’s only been about 30 years since my last kid show. I’m looking for a routine where I can have her as my helper and surprise her classmates while unexpectedly surprising her. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Are you thinking of something you will buy, or something using props you already own?

If the latter, which props do you have that you won’t already be using for other routines in your show?

Also, how much time do you have for rehearsing prior to this performance?

And what’s your skill level?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Looking to buy something, I have almost 2 months and my skill level is high. Whatcha got?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hop on over to one of our trusted dealers and purchase a set of Hippity Hop Rabbits or a Fraidy Cat Rabbit. Smile
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7575 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2024, jekyllandhyde wrote:
My 8 year old granddaughter asked me to do a little show for her 2nd grade class and I accepted the challenge. It’s only been about 30 years since my last kid show. I’m looking for a routine where I can have her as my helper and surprise her classmates while unexpectedly surprising her. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

PM'd you but Ultimate Homing Card by Tommy James is fantastic! Pricey but fantastic!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
I’m looking for a routine where I can have her as my helper and surprise her classmates while unexpectedly surprising her.

Topsy Turvy Bottles or a Cut and Restored
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Silk-to-egg...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Besides the classics (such as Julie or Wavryn are suggesting), there are lots of kids show tricks on websites like:

Tommy James Magic

Kandu Magic (Jef Eaton)

Wonder Imagery (Tim Sonefelt)

Smoky Mountain Magic (Dan Wolfe)

David Ginn Magic

Samuel Patrick Smith Magic

David Kaye (aka Silly Billy)

Ken Scott Magic

Christopher Barnes (aka Christopher T. Magician) has lots of great magic, too, but it's in his books & DVDs. Sold through dealers like Vanishing Inc.

Plus many more (Laflin Magic, Jim Kleefeld, Practical Magic UK, Axtell Expressions, etc.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Appreciate all of your help! I'm specifically looking for something like a torn and restored napkin where she is on stage with me and her napkin is restored also but she has no clue how it was done. I remember seeing something like that but can't remember where.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2024, jekyllandhyde wrote:
Appreciate all of your help! I'm specifically looking for something like a torn and restored napkin where she is on stage with me and her napkin is restored also but she has no clue how it was done. I remember seeing something like that but can't remember where.

Here's one that won;t break the bank:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5866
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
As an alternate idea to a standard paper tear / torn and restored napkin...

I perform a Hat Tear in many of my shows, and use a set of multiplying wands to add some additional humour to the routine.

It's a nice routine you can perform with a single helper, and they end up with a souvenir.

BTW, my favorite brand of Hat Tears is by Andy Amyx (I've used his Happy Birthday Hat Tears, Santa Hat Tears, etc.), available from many magic dealers and from Andy directly.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Dan Harlan's Starcle is really magical. And with your daughter as assistant, the unexpected finish will make her shine.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2024, arthur stead wrote:
Dan Harlan's Starcle is really magical. And with your daughter as assistant, the unexpected finish will make her shine.

This is the best idea yet.
Here is a link
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7941
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Jekyllandhyde, if you do decide on this, PM me and I'll share a valuable performance pointer.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Starcle is a great idea. You can do Gypsy balloon with her next to you. Even multiplying rabbits in her hands would work. Any trick that she can do with you and she gets it right. Hat tears do as I do but her hat works out.
longdeademperor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of longdeademperor
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
498 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
The Snake Can Routine from David Ginn is very good too - I am sure your girls would love the performance. The switch is so simple - but I remember an expert who had seen everything asking me after the performance: How did you get the snake in the can?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
I had a similar inquiry from a senior member of our magic club when he saw me perform Fraidy Cat Rabbit. I guess we never stop learning... (and "it's FUN to be fooled!").
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Starcle is a beautiful piece of theater. I'm not sure it will amaze kids. I would go with a hat tear over starcle. When you do the hat tear you can make it so that her paper pieces turn into a hat and yours don't. Just take her wad of paper and hold it up next to yours for comparison and then hand yours back to her. No real need for sleight of hand, just do it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
A sucker torn and restored napkin with a volunteer is pretty doable, in fact, I just made a routine
I performed for the first time today. Even in its rough version it got a decent
response.

It is pretty much the Mark Wilson routine adjusted to include a volunteer.

If anyone wants a write up for it, or to see a short clip from the show today,
give me a PM.