The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Loose Scotch and Soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Actually, it is a Gin and Tonic. An old set made with an American Quarter. Very nice set. However, the fit is so loose that the insert will spin in the shell. And it will actually fall out on its own without the use of the bang ring.

Is there any good tips on how to tighten it up? It was probably made in the 70's. The "shell" part has a pretty thick rim, so, a slight bend is out of the question.

I may just be out of luck but figured I would check with you guys to see if anyone else has figured out how to fix an issue like this.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Are you 100% sure it's meant to be a locking set? I know I've seen non-locking sets (including others like a $1.35) where it was intentionally sized that way.

I would not suggest trying to bend anything - especially if the rims are thicker. Instead, I would consider adding a little bit of thickness or stickiness to one of the edges (or even the flat inside) so that it has a little extra something to hold it in place. Less is more here - you can always continue to add if it wasn't enough, but getting it stuck could be really bad.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks for the advice. I may try a little bit of blue tac and see if that does the trick
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I just finished making this set . Locks tight but it’s new .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UB8TwTrEtjxq5kdz7
Just try that’s all you can do , never give up .
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Very nice!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I was once told by a knowledgeable coin person that you can tighten a set by carefully and gently tapping around the circumference of the closed together set with a small solid item such as an all metal kitchen knife.

Hope that helps and be certain to be somewhat gentle when tapping as to not destroy your set.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I should add that it may be a great idea to wrap some soft material around the knife or whatever object you are using as to not cause any marks on the edge of the outer coin.

Bottom line…be careful!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
So a loose one makes it like a reverse Sun & moon Coin ! Lots of good stuff for it ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I was thinking that for my Morgan locking S&W set
Just try that’s all you can do , never give up .