The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Return on Advertising (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You checked? What are those numbers exactly Tom and where did you get them from? What percentage of money do they spend on those signs exactly since you checked?

By the way to be clear a Mayoral election IS LOCAL. ONLY "Local People" vote. Try to keep up.

You really just can't stop can you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You right Danny, enough of our rambling about signs so I will leave you with this;

The smaller the race is. The more effective the signs are. A local race relies on yard signs much more than a presidential campaign, or a senate/gubernatorial race.

One expert says, “If candidates are wanting to get name recognition, "political signs that people see in their day-to-day lives" might be the best way to do it.”

A good read about political signs that proves my point:

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/01/112448457......al-signs

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It proves nothing those are specifically "political signs".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's It...I've decided! I'm running for Mayor of Magic Town!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2024, TomBoleware wrote:
If it works to elect a local Mayor, A Governor, or even a President.

OOps
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2024, Mindpro wrote:
Every type. Literally. Every single type of advertising has not worked for most performers. However, it is not the type of advertising's fault it is the buyer's, in this case the performer.

As Danny said, this is a great topic, yet a topic most will not spend any time or depth with to truly understand which is why most lose money in their marketing and advertising efforts.

Just like I regularly say - if you have properly made the right decisions and addressed the proper elements correctly in the Foundational process of setting up your business, soooo many of the typical problems and setbacks most performers experience will be eliminated as so many other elements, such as marketing, promotion, and advertising, will almost work themselves out and provide answers almost automatically.

While, the same applies with marketing and advertising. Most one see advertising only on the surface level - I pay this amount that the advertising costs, and then I wait and hope for a return. In almost all cases you will lose. This is not how advertising works or should be approached.

There are many elements to advertising and the different types of advertising that must be determined and in place before even expecting it to work. Strategies, campaigns, calls to action, response formula, customer acquisition cost, and so much more.

Using the longtime big 3 - radio, television, and print (newspapers, magazines, fliers, inserts, etc.), I have seen so many people just buy ads and then become very disappointed when no results occur. The first thing they (falsely) believe is the medium doesn't work, and that they've "tried that and lost money." Both on the surface appear true but in reality the medium did just what it was supposed to do - placed your ad in its medium, period. Your message was placed in front of their audience. They did and completed their responsibility. What didn't happen is you didn't use or utilize their medium properly or understand the use of their medium properly and therefore got the results you deserved.

In my radio station we would see this all the time. People couldn't understand why. Why do some of your advertisers get these fantastic results, yet when I do the same advertising program I get absolutely 100% nothing? It is because the first advertiser knew and understood how to use the radio advertising format for their business. They understood the different types of radio advertising and that each type had different expectations.

Like so many things magicians and many other types of performers THINK they know something about marketing, advertising and promotion, but all they really know is what it appears to be on the surface. When they do the math it doesn't work for them, so they pull back and do the worst thing - they do nothing. Instead of putting in the time and mind power to think and determine how can I make this medium really work for my business?

One of the reasons I have had so many kids or kids/family performers I've coached, consulted and trained is because I have done extensive work - research and development for marketing, promotion, and advertising programs, strategies and campaigns just for these types of performers and markets. Do you know the next 11 weeks is one of the strongest times of the year for the best marketing and promotional campaigns for kids performers? To have their business in front of thousands of ideal prospects for very little costs? Most do not.

Just one of my proven promotion, marketing, and advertising programs (yes, it covers all three aspects) almost assures you becoming your area's top kids performer, with celebrity recognition and status throughout your community, generating many, many bookings now as well as into the future, and pretty much allowing you to dominate the kids performance markets you are choosing to work with, and allowing this one single source ot be your primary (if not only needed) source of advertising. This has been proven for decades in markets worldwide. Yet most kids/family performers will have never heard of it and if they do will immediately reject it for believing it is too good to be true, or because of the price involved. This unfortunately is how the typical magician or performer thinks and works.

I could go on and on about different research and development programs I have created as a result of all of this. For years I would hear from performers who would say "I tried radio, t.v., newspapers, and magazine advertising and it is so costly and I didn't get any results. It was expensive, then it was over and done. They immediately deemed these mediums too costly, ineffective, and not worth their time, effort, money or consideration. Then I released my Press & Media book (no longer available, as it is now a course) and I heard from hundreds of performers throughout the world who said they generated tens of thousands of dollars in feature stories in newspapers and magazines,and guest segments on radio and t.v. that exposed them to thousands of viewers and readers - ABSOLUTELY FREE! It cost them nothing when they were armed with all of the elements on how to best use these mediums to their performing businesses' unique advantages. It's been crazy!

Why did it work? What was they difference from what they had previously spent (and lost) on advertising in these mediums? It is the missing aspects beyond the surface that they were missing. I had done all of the work for them all they had to do was follow the structure, system, and program. It works because it is understood and executed beyond just the surface level. They had an education on how the media works, the language they speak, their wants, needs and expectations, the "whys", and so much more that once understood, allowed many of them to do all of this in as little as a week, most within a few weeks to 30 days.

The problem is twofold - 1. Knowledge - they lack the knowledge and real understanding, and 2. the unwillingness to educate themselves properly and then invest in themselves and their businesses.

Most aren't really actually businesses, but playing self-employed "business."

As far as customer acquisition, one must first look at the LVC - Lifetime Value of a Customer. If all of your efforts are for a onetime customer and booking, your customer acquisition cost will be outrageous. So therefore your efforts should be on extending the lifetime value of that customer. Once figured out this may lead you to the best source(s) of which to utilize for marketing, advertising, and promotion.

So, none of the advertising will work on just a surface level - SEO, Adwords, print, radio, t.v., mailings, websites, carrier pigeons, etc. What works for you is what advertising strategy, approach, campaign, CTA, and more are exclusively designed for your business, market, and specific medium.

Again, great topic and kudos for wanting to learn more about this.

Thank you for the great response. I find it interesting that most of the booking would come around this time of year. It makes sense after thinking about it. I know my family tends to look at things to do when it starts to warm up and plan our activities.

I really hadn't looked at my repeat customers numbers. I did work back through my bookings list to find my numbers. I think my repeats are good, but not truly solid. I do however get bookings (+50%) from other customers recommending me.

To get to Danny's real question about customer acquisition. I will have to look closer at all my expenses to truly understand that and I will admit I do not have that process in place to get that at the moment. I will say that I would also need to factor in my time into that, which I do spend a lot of it in July doing the local carnival type event. But that has given me a good amount of business and I always enjoy it.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:

Also, if I were just starting, I would never position myself as a kidshow magician that only performs for children. Nothing wrong with that, but why pigeon-hole your business to a small audience. I would be known as the local Family Magician that performs for more than just children. There is no rule that a ‘Magician’ can’t perform for all age levels. I did it and I know some magicians today, some on here, that can put on a good show for a Daycare, a School, a Church group, or a Company meeting. Many do birthday shows with more adults in the audience than children and everybody walks away please. I call those kind a Family Magician.

Tom

Hey Tom the reason you might want to put yourself as one thing over a jack of all trades is so that when you are advertising or trying to get your client base, you would understand your target demographic better. I don't know personally, but I would think understanding and going after a select group would make your advertising / promoting go better both financially and from a overall success rate.

If you want to do different things that are completely different like doing kid shows vs weddings, I would think you would want to set up two different websites with different advertising / promos. However, kids shows / family shows I would say can be practically the same.

Thanks
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It's not really just about looking at your repeat booking numbers, but something a bit more deeper. What do you have in place in your business that leads to clients working with (booking) you several to many times vs. just once? What do you have (or is missing) in your business model to specifically address this?

Most don't have anything, haven't looked at it like this, don't know what to do other than remarketing to them over and over again and hoping for repeat bookings. What I am talking about is much more than that. Something that assures they are booking you 2, 3, 4 or more times a year, every year. For kids performers this is easier than some other types of performers, but can work for many. So again, do not just look at it on the surface level of what is it costing me to acquire each customer/booking, but explore the deeper, greater picture, including lifetime valuable

As an example I have shared here before, when I get an inquiry for a booking for myself or my agencies, I know my standard typical starting booking price is $1,500. I know that every client that books with me/us will book AT LEAST 3 bookings, so to me every inquiry is worth at least $4,500 ($1,500 x 3), usually more. So when I am talking to the prospect, in my mind I am talking about a $4,500 priced call/inquiry. I have also regularly mentioned that the majority of my clients today have been with me for years - 76% have been with me 25 years or more. Many for 30 years or more. What is great for me is my customer acquisition is very low, in many cases nothing, but for the ones I pay for, even if it coasts me $100 as you can see it is well worth it.

Once you know these figures and you have such a formula you can then work on reducing or eliminating this cost. To me this is where the fun comes in business - operations, formulas, structures, systems, and working so efficiently I leave little money on the table and continuously run quite profitably.

It all comers back to what are you giving them as reasons (in your offerings) to want to work with you over and over again. So that when they think of, want, or need entertainment it is YOU (and only you) they think of?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2024, Andy Young wrote:
Quote:

Also, if I were just starting, I would never position myself as a kidshow magician that only performs for children. Nothing wrong with that, but why pigeon-hole your business to a small audience. I would be known as the local Family Magician that performs for more than just children. There is no rule that a ‘Magician’ can’t perform for all age levels. I did it and I know some magicians today, some on here, that can put on a good show for a Daycare, a School, a Church group, or a Company meeting. Many do birthday shows with more adults in the audience than children and everybody walks away please. I call those kind a Family Magician.

Tom

Hey Tom the reason you might want to put yourself as one thing over a jack of all trades is so that when you are advertising or trying to get your client base, you would understand your target demographic better. I don't know personally, but I would think understanding and going after a select group would make your advertising / promoting go better both financially and from a overall success rate.

If you want to do different things that are completely different like doing kid shows vs weddings, I would think you would want to set up two different websites with different advertising / promos. However, kids shows / family shows I would say can be practically the same.

Thanks

Great point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
One way of reducing those customer acquisition costs Mindoro mentions is longevity. Even if the cost is initially high with 70% plus in the 25-30 year range it isn’t relevant. The cost then becomes keeping them and that amounts to simply doing the job well.

We worked with the resort company for 18 years prior to COVID. In reality the acquisition cost was quite low because they saw me doing my thing other places and reputation alone was enough to sell the idea. Wasn’t long and we were producing 1,500 shows a year.

Not anywhere close to all are like that. When I was touring comedy clubs I worked with maybe 30 clubs total and rebooked them. Initial acquisition cost wasn’t high and all I did to maintain them was do the job well.

This kind of thing is much different from finding and doing one night shows. Figuring costs and profitability is much more difficult for that. It was one reason I chose this business model intentionally.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2024, Andy Young wrote:

To get to Danny's real question about customer acquisition. I will have to look closer at all my expenses to truly understand that and I will admit I do not have that process in place to get that at the moment. I will say that I would also need to factor in my time into that, which I do spend a lot of it in July doing the local carnival type event. But that has given me a good amount of business and I always enjoy it.

The question is a difficult one to answer. As you are correctly pointing out it has a LOT of factors that come into play. It might not be the easiest question to answer but it is actually a fairly important one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Andy,

The public doesn’t always view magicians the way magicians view each other. We like to separate them into a zillion different type. And it is true than many do specialize in different markets and it's also true that helps some get more work. But the truth is, the CEO’s and others looking for corporate workers or Vegas style magicians already know where to search. They’re not usually looking in the same places the public looks.

Kidshow magicians are bad at pigeonholing themselves into a smaller market by only wanting to work for certain age kids. I hear them all the time saying I don’t like the small ones, I don’t like the older kids, I don’t like the teens, on and on, and then they wonder why they can’t keep working. They’re also good at not wanting to oversell themselves thinking a parent wouldn’t want a Copperfield at their child's birthday party. Really? Most would choose him in a heartbeat if available and affordable. Who doesn't want the better of the two for the same price. On the flipside they’re afraid of someone seeing that they do kidshows and that will stop them from becoming a TV superstar. They get caught in the middle and just sit there.

And then there is the Family Magician, usually the busiest one of all and some can’t understand why. The Family Magician is a specialized type of magician who caters to a wide range of audiences, from children as young as six years old to adults who are young at heart even at the age of 106. These magicians have a unique talent for entertaining people of all ages, and they often advertise their versatility in their marketing campaigns. What sets a Family Magician apart from other types of magicians is their ability to offer a variety of shows that are tailored to different age groups and demographics. For instance, they would never perform the same show for a group of daycare children as they would for a senior center audience. Instead, they take the time to understand their audience and cater their performances to suit their needs and preferences. Their websites will usually list the different markets they work. They don't hide anything.

However, despite their popularity among audiences of all ages, Family Magicians are often overlooked by other magicians who view them as just another kidshow magicians or even being inferior or less skilled than most. This is a shame because these magicians are masters of their craft and have a unique talent for entertaining people of all ages. In contrast to the superstars of magic like Copperfield, who are known for their elaborate and expensive shows, Family Magicians often perform in more intimate settings such as birthday parties, community events, and smaller corporate functions. Most are viewed as entertainers more so than a fool-you type magician, they rely on their wit, charm, and skill to captivate their audiences and leave them with a sense of wonder and amazement. But most importantly they stay busy.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Most are viewed as kids entertainers. Andy Is right. Regardless of what you want to pretend, too often the general public sees you doing kids tricks for kids and they brand you as exactly that. A kids magician.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus