The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Level Up by Craig Petty (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
This does look good, but compared to other Penguin Magic Effects Price does appear to be on the High Side (unless I am missing something )
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Looks good but agree with Jack bit pricey
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7574 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, johndevacmaker wrote:

Agree, I would just get Flipbalm if you're looking for a transposition effect using something different other than coins. Much cheaper.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Rog99
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Rog99
What a great idea. Updating a classic with a modern look and feel. Big congrats.

One question. Nintendo are very protective of their IP. Has this product been cleared with them? I would hate to take these to a pro gig and come across a Nintendo exec, only for them to take issue.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, Rog99 wrote:
What a great idea. Updating a classic with a modern look and feel. Big congrats.

One question. Nintendo are very protective of their IP. Has this product been cleared with them? I would hate to take these to a pro gig and come across a Nintendo exec, only for them to take issue.

I think they are called Eintindo from the look of what's posted on Penguin
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, RNK wrote:
Quote:

Agree, I would just get Flipbalm if you're looking for a transposition effect using something different other than coins. Much cheaper.

A few months ago I purchased Discovery by Spooky Nyman this came with 6 Poker Chips and leather case for $39 also from Penguin which is why I thought the pricing $20 extra looked on the High side for Penguin which normally are priced very fairly
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1136 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Do they taste really bad when you lick them or put them in your mouth? The real ones do (no joke).

Mike
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, tenchu wrote:
Do they taste really bad when you lick them or put them in your mouth? The real ones do (no joke).

Mike

Maybe that's a part of the cost to have them be most authentic as possible. Smile

AWESOME release and brilliant idea, Craig! CONGRATULATIONS! Smile

Sadly Penguin blew it and priced this way too high in my opinion.
I will continue on with my coin gimmicks, Sucker Punch, Platt's Sugar Rush and Gregory Wilson's FreaKey.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2842 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I have some of Craig's releases and have generally liked them a lot. But agree this seems priced on the high side...
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, videoman wrote:
Ok, I guess I'm going to be the first (and possibly only) to admit that I’ve never seen or heard of these before in my life. But I’m old. The last video game I played was Tetris on the original Nintendo. No one could palm one of those cartridges! But I’m sure they’ll be a big hit with you youngsters. Smile

lol! Tetris was great! The cool thing is even if you don’t know what they are your audiences will. They are very recognisable!

Thanks for commenting

I’m unsure about this - performing magic with a prop you don’t get seems like a recipe to a coming across as out of touch? I accept that it’s probably not a lot of effort to be learn what these are, but shouldn’t that come first?
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
If you have ever played a game, have even a passing interest in games or have kids with a switch then you’ll 100% know these aren’t real.
I know, I know, audience management, as long as they are entertained and all that rubbish but these are inherently interesting and one look at any of them by any gamer and you may as well get your Tenyo stuff out.
Nice idea but too easy to spot as obvious and slightly embarrassing props.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, Axman wrote:
If you have ever played a game, have even a passing interest in games or have kids with a switch then you’ll 100% know these aren’t real.
I know, I know, audience management, as long as they are entertained and all that rubbish but these are inherently interesting and one look at any of them by any gamer and you may as well get your Tenyo stuff out.
Nice idea but too easy to spot as obvious and slightly embarrassing props.

Can I respectfully disagree? These haven’t been rushed to market. I have been working on these for 2 1/2 years and we went through a lot of prototypes. I wanted to make sure they would look as good as possible so I took them to gaming conventions and performed various routines with them. They look just like the real thing and honestly nobody questions the games but it’s a simple thing to switch the game stickers out for something more legit if you wish.

Until you have seen them and held them you won’t realise how legit these cartridges actually are

Thanks
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, cytoplast wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, videoman wrote:
Ok, I guess I'm going to be the first (and possibly only) to admit that I’ve never seen or heard of these before in my life. But I’m old. The last video game I played was Tetris on the original Nintendo. No one could palm one of those cartridges! But I’m sure they’ll be a big hit with you youngsters. Smile

lol! Tetris was great! The cool thing is even if you don’t know what they are your audiences will. They are very recognisable!

Thanks for commenting

I understand what you are saying. A lot of magic uses props that nobody in the audience can relate to. Sponge balls, traditional chop cups etc. magic is full of strange objects. An example would be last Christmas I was booked for a Radio Times themed corporate event. I’ve never read the radio times but ai got a few copies and made sure my magic involved a copy. If you were working an event where there are kids or gamers (for example) why wouldn’t you want to incorporate something they can relate to?

Hope that makes sense

I’m unsure about this - performing magic with a prop you don’t get seems like a recipe to a coming across as out of touch? I accept that it’s probably not a lot of effort to be learn what these are, but shouldn’t that come first?
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, tenchu wrote:

Mike

Maybe that's a part of the cost to have them be most authentic as possible. Smile

AWESOME release and brilliant idea, Craig! CONGRATULATIONS! Smile

Sadly Penguin blew it and priced this way too high in my opinion.
I will continue on with my coin gimmicks, Sucker Punch, Platt's Sugar Rush and Gregory Wilson's FreaKey.

Totally understand. I have nothing to do with the prices charged although you do get a lot with this set. There were so many prototypes made for this effect and its injection molded as well as including the custom case for the props. So o get why it’s more expensive

Hope that makes sense

Thanks
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
Quote:

Fliibalm is great (I was so proud to be involved in that project). However it’s a paddle routine and mainly involves transpositions. This is more like a copper / silver coin set. It means there are more options for routines and in fact there are ten routines on the project and the majority don’t even use transpositions at all.

Glad you like Flip Balm though

Thanks
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

A few months ago I purchased Discovery by Spooky Nyman this came with 6 Poker Chips and leather case for $39 also from Penguin which is why I thought the pricing $20 extra looked on the High side for Penguin which normally are priced very fairly

I love Discovery. I think something that people need to remember is the scale of the project. For example Discovery is a one trick pony (amazing trick but only one routine). Level Up has multiple routines and effects taught on a two hour tutorial. There is a lot more than you can do. I think that’s something to take into consideration as well

Hope that makes sense
Tschark86
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Tschark86
I don't think this release is for me, but I really have to say I love how open Craig is on here about his releases.
If every creator would answer as many questions about their releases that would prevent many purchases that end up in the bottom drawer.
And at the same time I would think this approach also pays off for the creators in the long run. Sure, some won't purchase the item in the first place, but those who do can do so with confidence and avoid disoppointment. Happy customers will most likely be returning customers.
I for one have not bought a ton of Craig's releases (about 5, I think), but when I did, I knew beforehand that I was buying stuff I was going to use and I loved all of them.

Well done (again), Craig! Keep up the good work!
MagoMerlino
View Profile
New user
Rome
9 Posts

Profile of MagoMerlino
This looks brilliant like all stuff Craig releases ????
That said, I have a question: how do you justify bringing with you a set of Nintendo cartridges, since I am pretty sure you don't also bring with you Nintendo switch console as well ????

Thanks!
Francesco
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, MagoMerlino wrote:
This looks brilliant like all stuff Craig releases ????
That said, I have a question: how do you justify bringing with you a set of Nintendo cartridges, since I am pretty sure you don't also bring with you Nintendo switch console as well ????

Thanks!
Francesco

You have brought them to do a magic trick.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, Tschark86 wrote:
I don't think this release is for me, but I really have to say I love how open Craig is on here about his releases.
If every creator would answer as many questions about their releases that would prevent many purchases that end up in the bottom drawer.
And at the same time I would think this approach also pays off for the creators in the long run. Sure, some won't purchase the item in the first place, but those who do can do so with confidence and avoid disoppointment. Happy customers will most likely be returning customers.
I for one have not bought a ton of Craig's releases (about 5, I think), but when I did, I knew beforehand that I was buying stuff I was going to use and I loved all of them.

Well done (again), Craig! Keep up the good work!

I have to agree here. Thank you, Craig, for modelling a level of transparency that is much needed in the industry at present. I know it’s a lot of work to to engage here.