The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: How young, on average, can kids start learning magic? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
What’s the right, or earliest, age to introduce a child to learning how to do magic tricks?

For instance, if you took up magic in childhood, how old were you when you got your first magic set, or first single trick (or learned a first magic trick from a book, or from an older person)?

I guess I’m really wondering how young is too young. And I realize it’s bound to vary from kid to kid. But in general, what’s a good ballpark age for that first introductory simple magic trick or set? (A book might be less practical, if they’re still just learning to read.)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Supposedly, a child goes through a major mental shift related to perception at age 7-8. So, after that for sure.

The guide used to be 10-11 for gifting a set - but that presumed dabbling with puzzles and hands-on games previously.
The Weekly Reader for second graders used to teach a magic trick every other month.
With kids now raised on video games with little hands-on practicum, it is hard to guess.

I would try puzzles first - like from an old Cub Scout book of magic to test the waters.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Depends on the interest and potential passion to really want to learn.
Yes, every one is different. I volunteered once to teach young children
for a church program. They wanted to tell me about the pets they owned and
one youngster couldn't stop talking about her horse.

My father would show me, as a kid, magic tricks but it wasn't until much later
in life that I got bit by the magic bug and the passion continues.

Obviously funsway has a ton of experience.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Anecdotally, it seems most magicians who started young seem to say they started around age 8.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
7-8ish?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Hudson52Sleights
View Profile
New user
Australia, Brisbane
23 Posts

Profile of Hudson52Sleights
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2024, karnak wrote:
What’s the right, or earliest, age to introduce a child to learning how to do magic tricks?

For instance, if you took up magic in childhood, how old were you when you got your first magic set, or first single trick (or learned a first magic trick from a book, or from an older person)?

I guess I’m really wondering how young is too young. And I realize it’s bound to vary from kid to kid. But in general, what’s a good ballpark age for that first introductory simple magic trick or set? (A book might be less practical, if they’re still just learning to read.)

I believe that there is no right age for a child to learn magic tricks. They can start however early or late they like but what is important is that they like doing magic and are not forced to do it. If they don't like doing magic, what is the point of learning magic besides learning hand eye coordination and communication? A common age to start learning magic is around 7-10 yrs but they can start when ever they want. I think that once the child has learn't basic communication skills and able to maneuver there hands properly, they can start to learn magic. I'm just saying what I think so I could be wrong but I think this is an appropriate answer.