The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: John Guastaferro's Nth Degree (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2024, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Perhaps not. But does it really need to be hardcover, clothbound, foil stamped, etc etc? Could there be a soft cover version at a lower price point?

We can all appreciate books produced to the highest standards on our shelves. But with increased costs of production and a cost of living crisis globally, sometimes it feels like somewhat vainglorious aesthetic decisions trump making magic books available without big financial barriers to entry.

You have a point there. This is precisely why, in the case of my own book, I'm considering a more economical second edition later down the line that's made more affordably (ie: paperback) but less "collectible."

That said, I think companies like Vanishing Inc are also, in part, responding to a niche market that's obsessed with collecting pretty things. I love my modest magic book collection because I also like the tactile experience of a book: the feel of the cover, the aesthetics of the whole thing, the texture and weight of the pages, etc. Even if there was a less "fancy" version available, I'd still be inclined to purchase the premium one for those reasons. I did just that for Derren Brown's new book: I went for the hardcover over the paperback even with the significant price difference and the fact that both editions are otherwise identical.

I do wonder why magic book publishers don't take the approach that normal book publishers do by regularly having a hardback edition and a more cost-effective paperback one.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
It’s a beautiful produced book with plenty of content by someone who has shown the quality of previous releases to be fantastic. The price
seems fine for what you get. For those that think it’s too expensive, wait a while and there’s sure to be soft bound version down the road especially if there demand. Vanishing Inc has a pretty good offer for the the first 48 hours that looks pretty nice for those that think the price point is an issue. Glad to see that One Degree is available again.

Nm
peirceman
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of peirceman
I'm surprised at the resistance to the price. I have been buying magic books for a long time, and they have always been expensive.

I bought Williamson's Wonders when it first came out. It was $35.00. It is not a thick book. In today's dollars that would be $72 Each volume of Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse was $75. In today's money that is $136.

If everyone is correct about how great the content is, $60 sounds about right.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
$48 shipped for both Vanishing Inc, Bargin. Order placed,

NM
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2024, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2024, Doctor D wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2024, JohnG wrote:
Here is a review from Erudite Magic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=shared&v=-pBpOhN5n08

Not surprising he has it already, he's CFO at Vanishing Inc...

Being their Chief Financial Officer, it's not surprising that approves of the price, either.

He really needs to disclose the extent of his conflict of interest more fully as he reviews these books from his own company AND from its competition. When a viewer realizes this comes from the mouth of the publisher's CFO (as opposed to a random warehouse worker), talking about a $60 price point as becoming the new standard for books is arguably not just neutral analysis, but is market manipulation.

My book is $115, so I think this is a steal!

Of course, I'm familiar with John's work and after seeing his MagiFest lecture this has been on my list for sure!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4756 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Are people really complaining about $60 for a book that contains over 20 tricks when most single trick downloads these days are $20?? Crazy.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1226 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2024, emyers99 wrote:
Are people really complaining about $60 for a book that contains over 20 tricks when most single trick downloads these days are $20?? Crazy.

No kidding. And are the ones complaining the owners of his previous book? That alone should prove its worth. Plus, the accompanying soundtrack is pretty smooth. Listened to it driving across Ohio today. Its like buying a book and a cd soundtrack.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4756 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I thought you only listened to Kenny G?

Super fast shipping by VI. Ordered Monday. Arrived today.
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
675 Posts

Profile of David Burke
Just got an email from VI, you can pick this up as an eBook.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Can't wait to check it out! John's stuff is always first class.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
376 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Here’s a brief montage of some visual moments from The Nth Degree.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TQ6YuZuGApk?feature=shared

The book has a combination of visual, self-working, impromptu, and parlor routines…26 card effects in all.

I also poured a lot into the six essays. You’ll learn to develop a pre-show mantra, become more creative, maximize the one-degree philosophy, and gain clarity on your overarching purpose. You’ll also find tips to conquer nerves, connect with people, remove personal barriers, and achieve more in magic and in life.

Thanks to all of you who picked up The Nth Degree. I hope it becomes a resource to elevate your magic and give you a positive boost.
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
Thank you for sharing.

Ordered and dispatched last week.