The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: John Guastaferro's Nth Degree (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
170 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Big fan of John's work..any word about a release date for Nth Degree?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4756 Posts

Profile of emyers99
VI takes forever to release things.
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
What is this project? New book?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1701 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Yes a new book.It was in this years New years letter but it could very well be in next years New years letter!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Believe JG said it was due for an April release, so shouldn't be too far off. Hope One Degree gets a reprint at the same time.
otreboR
View Profile
Elite user
The Netherlands
401 Posts

Profile of otreboR
dawnzubair
View Profile
New user
Singapore
85 Posts

Profile of dawnzubair
I saw both Nth Degree and One degree stacks in one of VIs posts on Instagram. Waiting for the release date too.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2024, emyers99 wrote:
VI takes forever to release things.

Impatient people who complain about an upcoming magic book being announced 3 months ago -- without any pre-order money being taken! -- need to get some perspective.

Read up on Miracle Factory's publication history of Martin Gardner's Impromptu, for example. MF took pre-publication money (around $40k?) and didn't produce the book until 10 (ten!) years later.

Or, for an ongoing slow-motion replay now exceeding 4 years, see The Expert (also by Miracle Factory).

Or the Braue Notebooks by Jeff Busby.

Or books from Mark Elsdon, Rudy Coby, Dale Hildebrandt, who all took pre-order money.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2024, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Impatient people who complain about an upcoming magic book being announced 3 months ago -- without any pre-order money being taken! -- need to get some perspective.

Read up on Miracle Factory's publication history of Martin Gardner's Impromptu, for example. MF took pre-publication money (around $40k?) and didn't produce the book until 10 (ten!) years later.

Or, for an ongoing slow-motion replay now exceeding 4 years, see The Expert (also by Miracle Factory).

Or the Braue Notebooks by Jeff Busby.

Or books from Mark Elsdon, Rudy Coby, Dale Hildebrandt, who all took pre-order money.

Don’t see anyone complaining, just people excited and anxious to see John’s latest work.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
376 Posts

Profile of JohnG
I’m excited and patiently waiting official release of the book with all of you. There has also been a beautiful hardcover reprint of One Degree. I heard that both books should be available in April in alignment with Vanishing Inc’s 15th anniversary, but I have no specific date. Shouldn’t be long now.

Thanks all of you for your patience and interest. I couldn’t help but post some visual tidbits over the past several months on my social channels to spotlight the progress. If you are not following me yet, visit Instagram.com/johnGmagic.

Best,
John G
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
525 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
I picked up a copy at Blackpool. Doubt the actual release will be too much longer now. Worth the wait if you don't yet have it.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
376 Posts

Profile of JohnG
It looks like the new book will drop on Monday, April 22
The majority of effects use nothing more than a standard deck.

Here are some other items, in case you want to get a headstart. .
- Invisible deck
- a couple poker chips
- a few odd-backed cards
- a few blank faced cards
- a blank-backed joker and Jack
- Omni deck
- Two Chapstick caps
- Sharpie
- There is also a trick that uses a red and black poker chip with a royal flush design
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Well I WAS doing a good job of not buying any new magic books this year! One Degree was great, can’t wait for the sequel. Thanks for sharing your work, John.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
376 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Here is a review from Erudite Magic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=shared&v=-pBpOhN5n08
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2024, JohnG wrote:

Not surprising he has it already, he's CFO at Vanishing Inc...
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4544 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It is now up for sale!

https://www.magicjohng.com/products/
(signed copies, don't know why one wouldn't go for that tbh)

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......taferro/
(Vanishing Inc exclusive with custom playlist of some of his favorite compositions, as well as some unreleased tracks)
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2024, Doctor D wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2024, JohnG wrote:

Not surprising he has it already, he's CFO at Vanishing Inc...

Being their Chief Financial Officer, it's not surprising that approves of the price, either.

He really needs to disclose the extent of his conflict of interest more fully as he reviews these books from his own company AND from its competition. When a viewer realizes this comes from the mouth of the publisher's CFO (as opposed to a random warehouse worker), talking about a $60 price point as becoming the new standard for books is arguably not just neutral analysis, but is market manipulation.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
I've ordered both books as I've been a fan of John's work for years.

But I'm a little bit miffed at the price point. I'm pretty sure One Degree was available for less than £30 not long ago. Both books are £43 on VI, with a discount if you order both in the first 48 hours.

£43 may or may not be the standard price point for magic books now. But these are very slender 150-page-ish volumes. If they were fiction they'd be classed as novellas. Why then are we paying full price? Allan Kronzek's Artful Deceptions was re-released recently at a much more reasonable £25. I purchased Jason Ladanye's Confident Deceptions recently - a very substantial tome of card magic - and that was again £43. I'm just disappointed at the pricing on this. It feels disproportionate.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I'm hardly an advocate for products getting more expensive, but I have more appreciation for the price of books like this as I'm in the midst of producing my own. In trying to publish a book using high quality materials - hardcover, clothbound, custom foil stamping - here's what I've learned: it's extremely expensive. In fact, just to make it financially worth my while to do a modest, limited first edition print run of my new 224-page book with 20 tricks and 9 essays in it, it didn't really make sense for me to set the retail price of the book at anything lower that $100 Canadian (or roughly $70-75 USD).

If I tried to produce a book of similar physical quality to a Vanishing Inc book and charge $50 USD at retail price for it, I would be making pocket change per book sold; especially if most of the books were sold to magic dealers at a wholesale price.

Vanishing Inc has been outspoken about not wanting to put ridiculously high prices on their books, but I'm sure they, like anyone, are dealing with the increased costs of production and materials. Add to that the increased cost of living, and the fact that the people who brought the book to life need to earn their money, and a retail price of $60 isn't especially surprising to me.

If you break the price down by the 26 effects in the book - effects that, typical of John, are likely great across the board - that's less than $2.50 per trick. When you include the essays, it's even better value.

Would I love to pay less for the book? Sure! I'd love to pay less for pretty much everything. But I also understand the price and don't believe this is an effort from Vanishing Inc to price gouge.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
728 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Perhaps not. But does it really need to be hardcover, clothbound, foil stamped, etc etc? Could there be a soft cover version at a lower price point?

We can all appreciate books produced to the highest standards on our shelves. But with increased costs of production and a cost of living crisis globally, sometimes it feels like somewhat vainglorious aesthetic decisions trump making magic books available without big financial barriers to entry.