The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How do you read factual books? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
UKNeil
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
So I've recently read Secrets of Mind Power by Harry Lorayne and am now going through it again for the second time. This time I'm highlighting points that are important.

Do you highlight your books? Do you make notes in a seperate notebook or in the margins themselves? How do you get the most from your books?
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I use to just make a small crimp at the bottom corner of the page but if the book is kinda expensive, I don't do that nowadays. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
These days I prefer kindle, where one can do all sorts of things.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I have a pre-Tannen copy of the Tarbell course. I found myself taking notes in it. Among other things, correcting every reference to picking up a rabbit by the ears!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I have too much respect for books to deface them in any way.

I make notes on a separate notepad which refer to specific page numbers or paragraphs.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
134 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
I tend to feel as Arthur does but do use a pencil, with a light touch, so it can be erased if I'm passing it on to a new owner.

The light touch refers to not pressing hard to indent the paper. I use a #2 pencil for a darker line.
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I use little sticky tabs and a multi-colored highlighting system. Though I don't highlight my super rare books.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Stick on a colored post-it with a few words and maybe an arrow or two. Acts like a tab.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
I note that many factual books are fictional and many fictional books are factual.

If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2024, tommy wrote:
I note that many factual books are fictional and many fictional books are factual.

Well, here we go...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Let’s not go down that road, Tommy.

Although I agree with you that some autobiographies do mix fact with fiction. You’ll rarely get the real story, due to the authors painting themselves in a favorable light. And they often forget “the little people” who helped them to achieve success.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
“What an astonishing thing a book is. It’s a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you’re inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic.” -Carl Sagan

Note: Books are full of illusions which we believe are true because we love books and love is blind.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"She was opposed to books on strict moral grounds, since she had heard that many of them were written by dead people and therefore it stood to reason reading them would be as bad as necromancy."

- Terry Pratchett - (Granny Weatherwax) Equal Rites
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
I use the smaller post-it notes and a softer lead pencil to note things.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sorry, if I think something needs correction, it gets corrected. Especially if it refers to picking rabbits up by the ears. Smile Smile