The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Random Card Generator (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I got an email today about a new product from Plainsight Magic. This seems to be a nice twist (at least for me) on a standard card trick (I know that people's eyes seem to glaze over when many magicians pull out a deck of cards). Here's the information from the Plainsight website:

A completely hands-off card force—without a deck of cards.

The "random card generator" has every value and suit represented, each in its own perforated box. The back of the card is entirely red. It is given to a participant, and the performer does not touch it again.

The participant tears the card along the perforations and drops the 20 small pieces into a glass. To randomly generate a playing card, the pieces are shaken and then spilled onto the table. Ones that are facing down (red-side up) are eliminated. All face-up pieces are put back into the glass and the procedure is repeated until one value and one suit remain.

However, there is nothing random about this outcome. You will always end with the Seven of Diamonds—with 100% reliability. It is truly baffling.

--The performer never touches the card
--Sized to fit in most wallets or phone cases
--Easy to do--the card does all the work
--No extra pieces to add or ditch
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
386 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I have done this trick with double faced scrabble pieces (Neo Magic sells it) and double faced coins...I love the idea of this...I don't see many reviews but it is on my purchase list
Christopher_Rawlins
View Profile
Special user
North West, England.
538 Posts

Profile of Christopher_Rawlins
I picked this up at Blackpool.

As with all Jeff Prace/Plainsight Magic items - this is well made, very smart and practical.

Friend Noel Qualter suggested to me I introduce it as a giveaway from a magic convention - I’ve done it quite a lot the last few weeks that I need some more.

The origin for the method is already a great trick, I have work on the method in various forms, always loved it. Jeff has truly taken it to a new place.

Highly recommended.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
Christopher, That's great to hear. I actually ordered it and should have it in my hands this Friday. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm looking for things that are a little bit different. As far as Blackpool, that's actually on my bucket list. It will take some planning but I will make it sometime soon.

Dave
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3366 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I have done this with a Quarter, I really like the idea with the ripped up playing card pieces !
Christopher_Rawlins
View Profile
Special user
North West, England.
538 Posts

Profile of Christopher_Rawlins
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, psychod wrote:
Christopher, That's great to hear. I actually ordered it and should have it in my hands this Friday. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm looking for things that are a little bit different. As far as Blackpool, that's actually on my bucket list. It will take some planning but I will make it sometime soon.

Dave

I’m confident you’ll be very happy with it once it arrives with you.

When you do make it to Blackpool - come and say hi! It’s a fun time indeed.
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
I just got this in the mail yesterday. Tried it on my partner and she was fooled, as I had her tear the pieces up and start the process. It's a really clever method and Jeff has done a great job putting this together!
wgt66487
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of wgt66487
This thing is freaking fantastic! It is great when you just need to carry around a few cards in your wallet (hint hint Jeff sells a wallet that works great with it!) Super impressed by the quality and how well these work. Definitely a must by force!
William Tyrrell
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
128 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I received mine in the mail today. Even after reviewing the tutorial and knowing how this works, I had to slow down and monitor each and every tear I made on the card to see how it actually worked. It is mind-boggling devious. To say it is incredibly well made is such an understatement. It is the size of a poker card, not bulgy in any way (as I would have expected it to be). Hand it to the spectator and it is self working. Beautiful. I truly do love all the products and effects I have purchased from Jeff. This is certainly no exception.
jdshoemaker1
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jdshoemaker1
I just got this in the mail. The quality of the card is amazing and it’s so super easy to do! I cannot wait to incorporate this into my act. The tutorial is excellent! I’ll be interested to see how refills are handled as I’m sure I’ll use this a lot! Thanks to the creator; really an excellent product for anyone looking for a new way to force a card.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Will there be refills, I would be interested?
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
128 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2024, Robert Sixx wrote:
Will there be refills, I would be interested?

I believe what is being purchased is viewed as the refills. Pretty much all effects that are sold by Plainsight Magic have the tutorials for such posted for free on their website. As they state, they want to be completely upfront on what is being purchased. One can know how the effect works before they ever place an order. Pretty good deal if you ask me!
hawk17
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of hawk17
I just received mine a few days ago and all I can say is WOW!! It’s brilliant and easy to carry. It’s not only a great trick to incorporate into your act, but a great one to carry in your wallet for those times when someone finds out that you’re a magician and wants to see you perform something.
Throughout the whole performance everything will be done by the spectator. He will even be convinced that it’s.100% fair and random.
I can’t say enough about RCG, it’s a quality product that packs a punch. You won’t be disappointed in your purchase.
castype
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of castype
Plainsight is open about their tutorials so you know what you are getting. This is from their site: "We openly share our tutorials with interested magicians, so there are no doubts as to what you're buying."

After seeing this, I was sold and will be placing an order. The tutorial link is at the bottom of the site. Hope this helps others
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
I just ordered the RCG. Wow this looks so good. It’s a classic trick but now it’s completely examinable before the trick starts. And the dirty work is done by spectator. This is amazing and I’m really looking forward to add this to my walk around and EDC magic.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
Okay, I got the Random Card Generator the other day and just gave it the first real test: The wife test. If my wife likes something, I know it must be good because she's not shy about telling me when she didn't like something or how she found something to be fishy! This is a pretty cool effect. It really does seem as if the spectator has an absolutely fair choice. It will work every time and is super easy to do so you can focus on presentation. As far as presentation, you will want to have things to fill in the 'empty space' as your spectator is tearing the card and then mixing it in a glass and then trying to whittle it down to one value piece and one suit piece. As I mentioned when I originally started this thread, one of the things I like is that it's not a standard card trick. Obviously, you cannot repeat it for the same audience (which I would say is the only real downside for me) but if you could, then it would be real magic! I recommend this trick for any magician who is looking for something a bit different and is super easy to do.

Dave
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
All these posts without a link.

https://plainsightmagic.com/products/random-card-generator

This and Jeff's one ahead wallet are both brilliant ideas IMO, and also can work well together to create a routine unique to you.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
128 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2024, psychod wrote:
Okay, I got the Random Card Generator the other day and just gave it the first real test: The wife test. If my wife likes something, I know it must be good because she's not shy about telling me when she didn't like something or how she found something to be fishy! This is a pretty cool effect. It really does seem as if the spectator has an absolutely fair choice. It will work every time and is super easy to do so you can focus on presentation. As far as presentation, you will want to have things to fill in the 'empty space' as your spectator is tearing the card and then mixing it in a glass and then trying to whittle it down to one value piece and one suit piece. As I mentioned when I originally started this thread, one of the things I like is that it's not a standard card trick. Obviously, you cannot repeat it for the same audience (which I would say is the only real downside for me) but if you could, then it would be real magic! I recommend this trick for any magician who is looking for something a bit different and is super easy to do.

Dave

That would be my only suggestion for this effect, to sell them with different cards being the end result. I'm not sure if that is something that could be done with how these are manufactured. Though, I likely wouldn't use the same force twice in one performance. Particularly when it is this drawn out of a force.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Anyone who knows me knows I’m incredibly biased when it comes to Jeff’s work. So rather than mirroring the comments on how amazing it is, I figured I’d post these two videos from his site

Performance:

Explanation:
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
CandidSelfie
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of CandidSelfie
Received mine in the mail yesterday. Sleek, hands-off force. Easy to carry. I wish I had at least 5 more! Thanks for making this available, Jeff.