The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Mysterious Black Slot (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
We all know "Black Hole" effects. There are many Black Hole effects, especially with cards.
Is there a "Black Slot" effect?
I don't know of one yet.

Roddy McGhie's outstanding effect "Little Door" gave me the inspiration.

Here is my "Mysterious Black Slot":
https://youtu.be/BEhVijn_Knc

Darko
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Very nicely done, my friend. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Thanks Marion.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
143 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
That's cool! I like the idea with the marker.
What a coincidence. Does it have something to do with Brian Platt's routine?
I only recently stumbled across "Catapult" when I was searching for "The Dance".
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
I know Brian's routine.
It has nothing to do with his routine.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
143 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
I only knew some cheap youtube clips. And now a real good one. Thanks for sharing.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
If you would like the explanation video write me a PM.
The first five people who contact me will recieve a review video explanation.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2024, MarcelR wrote:
That's cool! I like the idea with the marker.
What a coincidence. Does it have something to do with Brian Platt's routine?
I only recently stumbled across "Catapult" when I was searching for "The Dance".

The inspiration was Roddy MCGhies "Little Door" efect
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
143 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Yes, I have read that. But that's a card trick I only know from the trailer. For me, the only connection is the use of a marker. I haven't looked into the subject yet. As I said, I only came across Brian Platt recently, so I had it in my head that he had developed a tic-tac routine. Hence the question, could have been. Of course, there are probably countless others, as is so often the case.
Anyway, I like the idea of the Black Slot.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Yes, "Little Door" is a card effect but the inspiration to draw something that becomes reality is Roddy McGhie's "Little Door" effect.

I realized this idea, I draw a slot and through this slot I push the coin into the Tic Tac Box.

That's what I meant by that.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I was one of the lucky people who got to view Darko's explanation. He asked if I'd be willing to comment on the effect, and I'm glad to have the opportunity. Before I begin, you should know that, when it comes to this kind of magic, I'm a layman. Some of you will probably have guessed parts of the method, but I was flabbergasted. I couldn’t imagine how he could have accomplished the penetration, and was reluctantly forced to the conclusion that he had discovered a new law of physics. Smile

First, the effect (as opposed the method). You've seen Darko's performance video and can make your own judgments, but here's what struck me. First, this is unlike other penetration effects I've seen in that it occurs *visually* : no handkerchiefs, etc., covering the coin. Second, I like the ordinariness — seeming innocence — of the TicTac box. Third, this kind of magic really appeals to me: something “pretend” (here, the drawn slot) that becomes real. “Little Door” was Darko’s inspiration for this last, but he has creatively adapted that trick’s use of a marker for his own devious purposes.

The method: It’s a clever combination of gaffs and moves. I’m by no means a “Do-It-Yourselfer,” but even I’ll be able to put together the gaffs. It’s really just a question of acquiring the necessary materials. The moves look simple to me, but I haven’t tried them yet. I’m sure they take some practice.

How do you hide the method when the box is transparent?? — Darko has solved that problem ingeniously.

So, I can only echo Marion’s applause. Perhaps Darko will be interested in marketing this.

Bob
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, and this is why I posted about him in my string. Smile This is quite ingenious and indicative of the wonderful creativity I mentioned. I hope he does market this, I think people will love it. It’s yet another wonderful piece of magic from a most deceptive mind in our part of the art. A real fooler!
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Thanks Bob, thanks Marion.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
My pleasure, Darko. Marion, could you give a link to where you posted about Darko? -- Thanks
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sure, I posted about him on March 7th, so just scroll back up the page from this link a bit and you’ll come to it. Smile

www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.ph......t=640#19

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Marion! You know, I've been curious about your Thank You thread for a while, but I haven't looked because it just kept growing and growing, and it got overwhelming. I'm glad I had this chance to dip into it, and I'll do more dipping now and then. I'm one of the many people you've helped -- so, Thank You!

Bob
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
Ouaah, lovely! Smooth moves, the vanish is a thing of beauty! Bravo Darko!
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes! Wish I thought of that magical use of a black sharpie- as the black paint from roadrunner cartoons Smile Bravo!

That idea has immediate application to other routines. Smile

Coin through hand (yours or theirs), coin in bottle, ….

ACME Black Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here