The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: Packaging of Magic Effects?? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1257 Posts

Profile of Salby
If magic effects are packaged securely, I don't see the necessity for extravagant packaging. Many times the box or packaging is way too huge of what the contents are.

Once I receive the effect and copy the Instructions WebLink and Password (such as Apparition, Nightshade, etc.), I discard the box.

I never store the effects in the box as it only occupies space. A coin purse or a magic case is ideal. I doubt anyone (except maybe Magic Shops) would ever keep them in the box and display them on the fireplace mantle of curio cabinet.

Johnson Coin Products were simple-- Just put the coins in a small folded clear plastic "envelope". Some card effects just have their gaffed cards in a small zip-locked bag.

Personally, I prefer it to be well-packaged in bubble wrap, and they could subtract $15.00 from the total cost.

"It's NOT the length and beauty of the wand that matters, but the magic in it."

Am I overlooking something?
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
Seems as though "packaging" has become more of a "thing" than the trick itself. I agree. I never marvel at the "packaging" ohhhhh, ahhhh
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
While I do agree that the fancy boxes/packaging adds to the cost of producing magic releases and is added in to the retail price, I doubt that downgrading the packaging would save us $15 for the item. Just not realistic IMHO.

Some people enjoy the presentation/appearance of attractive packaging. Those who just want the trick may not care but I suspect that many like a nice prop to come in a nice box to store it in. TCC may be a good example and I have seen comments of satisfaction about how they package what they sell.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1753 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
They are designed to catch the public’s eye when it’s on display in a magic shop or dealer room.

Plus when a package is large, subconsciously the larger price seems to fit whereas a box the actual size of the contents may make the price feel out of proportion.

Personally, I like the nice packaging. It makes the trick feel more special, but if there was an option to buy it $10 cheaper without the packaging, I’d go that route. But the difference is probably negligible with most of this packaging. It’s probably changing the product cost a matter of cents.

Madison
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1298 Posts

Profile of DJG
Some people use the packaging for storing, and collectors like to keep the packaging around. I doubt no packaging will lower the price, as it would only be pennies when mass produced.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1257 Posts

Profile of Salby
Possibly, optimizing the packaging could reduce shipping expenses.

While many Online Magic Stores offer free shipping for purchases that meet a certain threshold, the company should consider how bulky packaging may necessitate larger boxes, potentially increasing shipping costs. Streamlining packaging could ultimately save the company money on shipping.

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this, but I'm just wondering if I might be missing something. Does discarding these boxes have any negative impact? It's worth mentioning that if you decide to sell the item later (if it's just gathering dust), you could likely still fetch a reasonable market value for it... Unless it's a rare piece.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Collectors want everything in tact. Missing packaging etc. brings down the value of many items. Tenyo is a good example.

If manufacturers save cost by eliminating fancy packaging, then they will profit better as opposed to charging less for the trick.

Nice packages are a draw and I am one who appreciates them not only for appearance (artwork) but for storage as well.

Bottom line is to each his or her own.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Great topic! Wand-O-Blocks by Iain Bailey didn't come in fancy packaging. Just a plastic zip lock with a printed marketing card. AND the price is still today only $19.95.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

I want to add something which may or may not be experienced by others. Perhaps, us old timers will relate more so than the younger folks.

My wonderful journey into the art of magic began more than 60 years ago. I can still remember to this day what the packaging looked like. It was part of the draw and excitement of seeing and purchasing those tricks. The design/artwork, size, shape of the package, colors, etc. were all lots of fun to see when I walked into a shop and saw those things on display.

Catalogs and Magic magazines of yesteryear were big time fun to look at and read and still are due to the illustrations or photos contained within among other things. In essence, wow, look at that moments.

So, if you look at the packaging as it relates to the above, you may conclude that they too have a value to at least some of us. They document our enjoyment in the art and may have actually caused us to select them to buy as a result of the eye candy they create.