The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: AN EASY 2 PART QUESTION (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
386 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I'm getting back into table hopping magic after a short absence.....I have also misplaced a lot of my coin magic after a few moves....My first question (the easy one) do I really need dollar sized coins just for table hopping or will halves work? 2nd question does hopping halves have the coins I need for CSB ir do I need a CSB set AND a hopping halves set?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The C/S/B is its own gaff due to the B.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
The size question has long been debated. There's no "true" answer, it depends on what you like for your hands and visibility.
Tables are close enough that the halves are still very visible, but some people still prefer the larger coins. Others have small hands and always use halves.

As far as a CSB goes, Jonathan is spot on. The gaff is quite different and there's an entirely different denomination in there. But you don't need to do CSB, by any means. There are lots of great effects you can do with no gaffs or without having to buy more.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
386 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Isn't the gaff on CSB just a C/S coin
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2024, obsidian52 wrote:

The gaff evolved from Connie Hayden’s Two copper and One Silver item; the improvement being a hole in one coin.
changing the 20 Centavo (smaller copper) for a “chinese coin”.
Johnson used a full sized “chinese coin” and a twenty centavo coin in their version, which is not safe to openly display on either side.

Some have used a C/S coin to duplicate the effect where sleight of hand is required. Someone else drilled through their chinatown coin to ensure the copper coin can be inspected at odd moments by the impulsive Smile

TMI? Closer to the Scotch and Soda or Sun and Moon gaff if you nest the thing so it looks like s C/S. /TMI
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

No, it is not "just a C/S coin".

Again, at minimum, there's a third coin as part of the gaff. It's an evolution of another gaff - as Jonathan points out - and that 2C1S was similarly not just a C/S coin. If it were, the alteration would just be to use a different third coin.

You can do some similar effects with one, but it's certainly not the same.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
No, but there are handlings for performing a CSB routine with just a C/S coin - more sleights required.
Two that come to mind are Tony Miller's "Cheap Way" Cop/Sil/Brass in Apocalypse, and Geoff Latta's CopSilBrass which is in The Long Goodbye and some other places.

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2024, obsidian52 wrote:
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
386 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
So the third coin the brass coin is a "chinese coin?" but the original effect of Copper silver is one silver coin (ungaffed) and the other just a copper coin? CORRECT?
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2024, obsidian52 wrote:
So the third coin the brass coin is a "chinese coin?" but the original effect of Copper silver is one silver coin (ungaffed) and the other just a copper coin? CORRECT?

A CSB is not quite the same as a C/S + B. There’s more to it than that. But it is similar to a 2C1S - but that’s not a C/S.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:

Possibly correct.
You could do a spellbound routine with a normal silver coin and a normal copper coin, but I'm not sure what you're referring to as "the original effect".

I suppose you could go back to The Discoverie of Witchcraft and "A notable tricke to transforme a counter to a groat" which employed something close to a copper/silver coin and (sort of) a shell.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Quote:

There are many "original copper silver" effects, as inigmntoya points out. Since you originally compared to HH, we assumed you were referring to a gaffed version. If you want to do it gimmickless, then you don't even need a HH set.

As for CSB, it seem you may not be familiar with the typical CSB routines. Here's one from a quick search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPRDmLq9XoA
You can't do this with "a CS plus a brass coin"

The original versions used 2 (different) copper coins and 1 silver. Switching to the "brass coin with a hole" (often a Chinese coin) provides some additional convincers because of being able to see through the hole.

All that said, it's up to you to decide what you want.