The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Mentalist's Equivalent to Fiddling with Cards? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Bobaji - what an interesting read! Smile

One point I would make. Whilst I agree that Palm Reading isn't Mentalism per se, if you know what you're doing with it, then I've realised that it's a bloody good convincer! In other words, as far as the Mentalism/Mind-reading is concerned, you are much closer to cementing your persona as being the real deal.

Think about this. You give them a quick character analysis from just their palm - it can take no more than one minute - just mention a few points. You will have a hit rate of around 90% - IF you know what you're doing. That isn't including Cold Reading by the way - this is purely reading what you see within their palm.

Thereafter, when it comes to your hit(s) with the Billet Tear, or the Drawing Duplication, etc. it just adds an element of more authenticity to it. In other words, if you can tell them a few things accurately about themselves just from their lead hand, then why shouldn't you have the psychic ability to be able to tap into their mind as well - and identify what they have written or drawn, etc?

Just a further point - you've mentioned my hero there - Chan Canasta. It's such a shame in some way that the only BBC footage within the public domain, is Chan's last show of the series, whereby he more or less has a 100% hit rate. That most certainly wasn't always the case! On some shows in the series, he may get half of his 'experiments' wrong. However, rather than causing a negative reaction, it added to his appeal in the mindset of his audience. Importantly, it ALSO added to him being perceived as being genuine/authentic.

I moved from magic (after 40 years) more towards Mentalism around 2 years ago. One of the first things I burnt into my mind was 'take some risks' and 'get some minor things
wrong'. That is quite a quantum leap having performed Magic for so many decades, when errors remain the biggest fear.

To this day, I see Mentalists too scared to get things wrong. They always have to demonstrate a 100% hit rate. If they really think that people believe success of this nature is due to psychic ability rather than a Magic Trick, then the only people that they are fooling, is themselves.

Don't even get me started on magic prop 'Peek Wallets'!

Best regards,

Barry
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.