The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Instruction videos or written docs? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Just wanted to get a rough idea on what everyone's preference is if buying a trick - do you prefer to have an instruction video with someone demonstrating the method, or a written document (pdf/whatever) with step by step guide?

I have my own assumptions but keen to hear the consensus - or if there has ever been any chat/polling on this before can you point me to it,
thanks
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Watermarked PDF with links to non public videos
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2024, magicmind wrote:

Thanks, to be clear, by that I assume you mean a written description of the method with a link to an accompanying video? And hence - both written and video instruction?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2024, JerryMN wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2024, magicmind wrote:

Thanks, to be clear, by that I assume you mean a written description of the method with a link to an accompanying video? And hence - both written and video instruction?

Yes.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Generally prefer a well written set of instructions, with maybe some video content for more visual sections. You generally find written instructions go into more detail and different handlings, proper crediting, and offer more tips. Whereas too many recorded tutorials don't seem to have been planned. A camera is put on a performer and they seem to wing it waffling in random orders about their creations.
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Well written instructions with clear photographs or illustrations are king. I enjoy videos but only when I can download them because my concern is eventually the hosting for the video will go away.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've always found written instructions generally sufficient, but a video can be tremendously helpful (a) you may get to see a great performer doing the effect to it's max potential, and (b) if it is - for example - a mildly complex rubber band trick, trying to learn it can be torturous unless the instructions are extremely well-written (and it may be tortuous, anyway!).

Often, there will be subtle things that you see the creator do that aren't part of written instructions, but are helpful.

Each creator needs to evaluate his/her own trick and decide how to proceed w/ the instructions. I generally like having both, but there are some tricks that video isn't necessary.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I grew up with written instructions, most of which weren't "step by step" directions on how to parrot the trick. They seemed to assume that we would take the thing and make it our own.

To me, for that reason, I still prefer written instructons.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Thanks for the repsonses, seems like no one would be happy with video only instructions which is what I suspected.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Makes ya wonder if people who only do video instructions are just being lazy.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2024, George Ledo wrote:
Makes ya wonder if people who only do video instructions are just being lazy.

It certainly is a lot quicker just to do a video!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
In my eBooks I go to the other extreme from video, with written details as to the "why" as well as the "what" and "when."
Psychological ploys cannot be shown on video and neither can audience engagement.
For sleight masterys, step-graphics and incremental learning is superior, but I might provide video clips fro some planned effects.
Watching a video of a performance repeatedly can restrict any creative adaptations by the student.

I guess the ideal would be a performance video that is watched once, then self-destructs;
with cross-refererenced written instructions with support articles as needed -
plus either step-graphics or short video of specific sleights and action sequences.

Lots of work for somethings that sells for $10 and runs 60-100 pages.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
DVDs are perhaps far better for the fellas who cannot read. I was born in a common gaming house, where I learned some mechanics from the guys and dolls there in the 1950s, which was a long before I could read. I managed to read half a book in 1974 called Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic by Nevil Maskelyne: a $2 book which is the theoretical half of the book called Our Magic.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy