The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: First 4 year old show , sort of (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
To be clear, I have done a FEW almost all 4 year old shows and they when over well. My first one had me scared silly but when a guy unloaded ponies behind my show and I kept the Kids attention I felt like a winner! However, I was aware that much of my material was overkill for that age and it kept me from wanting to do the same material again when I would get a call for the same Kids at a more appropriate age for my show.

A kind Magician losing interest in Magic had once given me a Magic Coloring Book and Acrobatic Fish...Plus.

I have always avoided using Coloring Book like the plague because being a Woman Magician doing Kids parties I felt it painted the wrong picture (yes, I am a Magic snob.)

Well these two tricks plus the addition of a hand puppet Turtle doing Paper Streamer (and the lucky addition of a Kid asking me to "juggle backwards") made my first especially written show for 4 year olds a big hit. Bigger that using my older Kids material for 4 year olds.

My fear of 4 year olds is gone and maybe a little of my snobbery...(who am I kidding, LOL). I'm hoping next time I can be a little more present and notice how darned cute they are.

Would anyone else care to share how their impressions of a new trick or audience changed their perspective?

"Magical Mary" Mowder
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
My first show this happened. I really didn't have enough material for a kids show, but was not smart enough to say no, lol.

I had bought the trick where you blow bubbles and make one become 'real'. Well I got the instructions and thought no one will fall for that. I had to put it in the show because I didn't have enough good material. I was even dumber by putting it as my opener.

Anyways I open with it, dead silence. Those kids where stunned by the trick. Then I do a slight nod and they started clapping hard.

It became my opener for many years. So don't count tricks out, sometimes you need to work them in to know the potential.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Congratulations Mary. Yes if you beat out the ponies, you did well. Smile

Many magicians fear the younger ages, but four-year-olds are the perfect age for magic because they have a natural curiosity and wonder about the world around them. Their imaginations are limitless, and they are easily enchanted by the simplest things. Whether it's a fairy tale or a magic trick the four-year-olds are captivated by the idea of something seemingly impossible becoming possible.

Tom
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Wife and I did 1000's of Kid Shows (1960'- 80's)- Yes 4 year kids are the greatest <> the worst or hardest are 14 years olds - they know everything -ha ha ha
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Andy, Thanks for the reminder of the Bubble trick. That would be perfect.

Tom, Yea, their imaginations are great. Maybe I should dig out my old troublewit. I used to do it to great effect but I thought it made me look unprofessional. It would be fun with a Kid up to help "act out" the shapes. I used to get some real "hams" helping me in the past. 4 year olds may be a little less out there but I can see them enjoying it.

Russo, Oddly, except for one Library show when I was a beginner, (the tween son of the Librarian was trying to look cool) I've always been really at home with Teens and Tweens. It may be that I grew up with 5 Brothers, or that I was an awful Kid my self but I love those ages. I have to admit, the 4 year olds were easier though.

You Guys have really helped. I'm inspired to think differently.

"Magical Mary" Mowder
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Tom Toleware (very knowledgeable about performing for younger ages) is absolutely right: 4-year-olds think everything is still magical. And with the right approach, you can really wow them and turn them into lifelong fans.

Prior to even attempting to perform for children, I read some books on child psychology. I also sought advice from older, experienced kidshow magicians, and attended a few lectures by kidshow experts. And then once I started doing birthdays and daycare & kindergarten shows, I learnt by trial and error how to control a room full of hyper-excited 3 to 5-year olds. As I gradually became more experienced, I also developed subtle ways to retain their attention and maintain focus.

I was fortunate in that children perceived me as a kind of Mr. Rogers. So I played that up and developed a character of a rather bumbling but kind wizard. Kids love to see the magician in trouble, so I often pretended not to be able to make my tricks work. So it was only when I asked the children to help, that we could “make the magic happen.”

To me, when doing a show for 4-year olds, kidding around with the kids was actually as important as the magic tricks. All those little non-magical, fun ”bits of business” really helps to gain their trust. That’s not to say the tricks aren’t important. You want them to leave having been amazed, and remembering that you were the person who amazed them. Over the years I invented ways to subtly market myself during a show, so that kids and adults would remember my name. My thinking was: I don’t want the kids to go home and tell their parents: “I saw a magic dude.” I wanted them to tell their parents: “I saw Willmore the Wizard.” (Willmore is my middle name, so that was my onstage persona).

I also agree with Andy Young, in that one shouldn’t dismiss the more “sophisticated” tricks. With a little thought, some of them can be adapted and customized to appeal to younger minds.

But that’s not to say the simple tricks should be ignored. My Coloring Book routine (performed to an original piece of music) always generated oohs and aahs from old and young alike. It’s all in the presentation, and how you relate to the kids.

Anyway, Mary: Congratulations! You’ve overcome the first hurdle, and I wish you many years of success performing for “the little nose-pickers.”
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
93 Posts

Profile of raether
I found the 4 year old crowd to be great, but they can also be a tough audience. They notice everything and aren't afraid of giving you the truth.

One of the dumbest tricks was the most successful. We baked cookies with baking ingredients using a dove pan. Everyone got to come up and add ingredients for the magical cookie baking. Most kids love audience participation, and this lets even "shy" kids come up and do something to be part of the show. Of course, then they get to eat the cookies after we bake them in the dove pan. I always wanted to eliminate it from the show because I didn't like it, but the 4 years loved it, so it always stayed.

The lessons for me were 1) kids love audience participation, and 2) do what the kids love, not what is important to myself.
Helmut Raether
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I too agree with Andy Young, in that one shouldn’t dismiss the more “sophisticated” tricks. When you stop and think about it, Children Movies are produced so that the kids AND Parents can enjoy them together. That should tell you something.

Four and Five-year old’s are so much more advanced today than they were just a few years ago. Some of us older folks here can remember when the goal was to have the child off the bottle before starting first grade at age six. Not so today, a child must be ‘ready’ to start school.

In recent years, there has been a real noticeable increase in intelligence levels among 4-year-old children. This phenomenon has been attributed to several factors, including advancements in early childhood education and the widespread availability of educational resources. One of the primary reasons for this increase in intelligence can be traced back to the development of new and innovative teaching methods. Educators and child psychologists have spent countless hours researching and experimenting with different techniques that are designed to enhance cognitive development in young children. From interactive learning tools to personalized lesson plans, these methods have proven to be highly effective in promoting learning and intellectual growth. Additionally, the rise of technology has provided children with unprecedented access to educational resources. With the internet and mobile devices, young learners have access to a wealth of information and educational content that was once only available to adults. From educational games to online tutorials, children today have the ability to learn about a wide range of topics in a fun and engaging way. Parents and caregivers have become more aware of the importance of early childhood education and are taking a more active role in their child's intellectual development. Today many parents are enrolling their children in preschool programs earlier, providing them with more opportunities to learn and grow in a structured environment.

Tom
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thanks for the welcome Arthur.

raether, have you ever worried about food allergies? I used to occasionally give out a chocolate coin or Popcorn after a similar trick to your cookies but now I worry about giving any kind of food out because of allergies and contagion.

Tom, I have noticed a change in Kids. Some are smarter than before (especially in the Catholic School where the 4 year olds were.)
Some react differently that before covid though. Less facially reactive in some and some seem to have shorter attention spans as far as how long an object holds their gaze. {I sometimes see a sort of scanning eye behavior instead of the directed gaze I'm used to.)
It has made it more interesting keeping the attention of mixed ages. The Kids also are not as well trained at applauding as a group as I have been used to. Some of the Kids seem to watch like I'm a screen instead of a live person. I always do a short warm-up to let Kids know how applause works but now it seems more needed.

I will admit that I wasn't working as much in the last few years so I know I'll get my skills in line as I see more of today's crowds.

"Magical Mary" Mowder
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I would recommend avoiding handing out edibles, it has a high chance of liability.

If you do decide to give out candy for some reason, make sure to run it by the client/venue owner.
You may even want to specify in your contract that edibles may be involved in the show, this
won't remove liability but is should lower genuine complaints from your client.

Also, regardless of food or no food, make sure your insurance is up to date.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Mary, here’s a few thoughts about the applauding in a preschool setting. Before you get there, the teachers have prepared the kids to be on their best behavior while you’re there. They have been told to sit, no talking, and be still. And I’m sure some have even been told (maybe in a strong voice) more than once. Lol

Most of the younger kids have probably never seen a live performance. So doing a warm up and teaching them how to applaud is always a good idea. Especially when the audience is all younger ages. When mixed in with older kids the young will usually copy the older, but even there, a reminder to applaud in the beginning is never a bad idea.

Yes, a fast-paced show seems to work best with keeping their attention.

Tom
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
93 Posts

Profile of raether
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2024, Mary Mowder wrote:
raether, have you ever worried about food allergies? I used to occasionally give out a chocolate coin or Popcorn after a similar trick to your cookies but now I worry about giving any kind of food out because of allergies and contagion.

Yes, it is a concern. I would not do it for a larger show. I have the host of the party provide the cookies, so that takes some of the worry away.
Helmut Raether
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Raether, That is a great solution since the host would already know of any concerns from the guests parents.

I have on occasion given the treat to the parent of the Volunteer and letting them give it to the Child.

"Magical Mary" Mowder