The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Pinky count, my pinky isn’t helping. (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SNAFU
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SNAFU
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2024, gaddy wrote:
Start with smaller packets of cards. 15-20 cards or so, and work your way up to a full deck from there.

This is exaclty, what helped me the most. I nearly resignated. But when I tryed with about 20 cards it suddenly "clicked" and I slowly worked up to 52... Still needs a lot of practice, though.
Alex Core
View Profile
New user
Germany
8 Posts

Profile of Alex Core
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2024, epsilon97 wrote:
Practice, Practice, Practice. About 7 years ago, I was really hitting the magic practice hard. Through about three months of pinky count practice, I got really good at it. At first, I didn't think it was a possible move for my pinky. But I got better and better. You can too. Try to count five cards off, then 10, then 15. Start over every time you mess up. You will eventually be able to get this.

This is a very important tip!
When learning the pinky count, try not to forget what the name implies. You are "counting" cards with your pinky.
When I was initially arriving at the point of tackling the pinky count as a sleight, I only saw it as an alternative "Get-ready" for a double or multiple lift. Now, years later I can do just that. But when it comes to more, I sort of have to relearn a couple of things.
There are perks to being able to count more than one two or three cards with your pinky without looking at the deck in a controlled and casual manner.

All the best
Alex
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives." - Carl Sagan
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I bought the issue of Genii that landmark mentioned above, and Benatar's article is really good. One imortant piece of advice he gives is to hold the outer phalange of the pinky nearly parallel to the long side of the deck -- not perpendicular! I've found that the way he suggests requires much less strength.

Lots of good ideas above. I agree with epsilon about practice -- but don't overdo it. Take it in short sessions. You don't want to injure yourself.

Bob