The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Pinky count, my pinky isn’t helping. (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
I am working on my pinky count. I believe it is an important base for a beginner. I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to “muscle up” my pinky. It is super weak, I am having hard time building strength. I can’t even count one card. Any help would b3 appreciate, videos, book, practice… thank you.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Why not try beveling the deck a little so it will be easier for your pinky to navigate the cards.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
In the great book by Darwin Ortiz - At the card table, you will find some very useful info about the Pinky Count at page 11.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......n-ortiz/

In one of his videos, Darwin talks about the Pinky Count, I will check out which video...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
This month's Genii magazine has a lengthy tutorial by Rafael Benatar.
Pedrovincent
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Pedrovincent
Giobbi has a very pertinent remark about the pinky count: it is not so much about the strength (which often become a give-away) as about the flexibility and finesse. If you bevel the cards slightly anti-clockwise, it will be easier for you to feel just by touch the lower right corner of the cards with your pinky and to the count. A light pressure with your left thum on the the top left corner of the deck should help give that little "hop" when you run down the cards with the pinky. My advice would be to focus less on strength and more on the light touch of the pinky (+ bevel and a little bit of pressure on the opposite corner with your thumb). It has to be said that it takes time to learn to do a good pinky count. It's one of those things that are good to practice while watching a movie or so.

Good luck!

Pedro
Pedrovincent
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Pedrovincent
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2024, Pedrovincent wrote:
Giobbi has a very pertinent remark about the pinky count: it is not so much about the strength (which often become a give-away) as about the flexibility and finesse. If you bevel the cards slightly anti-clockwise, it will be easier for you to feel just by touch the lower right corner of the cards with your pinky and to the count. A light pressure with your left thum on the the top left corner of the deck should help give that little "hop" when you run down the cards with the pinky. My advice would be to focus less on strength and more on the light touch of the pinky (+ bevel and a little bit of pressure on the opposite corner with your thumb). It has to be said that it takes time to learn to do a good pinky count. It's one of those things that are good to practice while watching a movie or so.

Good luck!

Pedro

*** if you bevel the cards clockwise (of course!)
epsilon97
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of epsilon97
Practice, Practice, Practice. About 7 years ago, I was really hitting the magic practice hard. Through about three months of pinky count practice, I got really good at it. At first, I didn't think it was a possible move for my pinky. But I got better and better. You can too. Try to count five cards off, then 10, then 15. Start over every time you mess up. You will eventually be able to get this.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2024, epsilon97 wrote:
Practice, Practice, Practice. About 7 years ago, I was really hitting the magic practice hard. Through about three months of pinky count practice, I got really good at it. At first, I didn't think it was a possible move for my pinky. But I got better and better. You can too. Try to count five cards off, then 10, then 15. Start over every time you mess up. You will eventually be able to get this.

So true about Practice Practice Practice. I went to a lecture by Daryl showing his Hot Shot Cut. I wanted to do that cut badly.
Could never get it but was determined. Finally after "some time" I got it and was able to do it with my left and right hand, same with the one handed riffle shuffle.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Profile of Rafael Benatar
Try what I call the violin grip (described in detail in my Genii column), with the left fingers almost parallel to the edges of the cards, maybe 15-20 degrees. This eliminates the tension of pulling with the pinky and the action becomes the more natural one of simply closing the hand. Checkpoint: the outer joint is hardly bent.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Start with smaller packets of cards. 15-20 cards or so, and work your way up to a full deck from there.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2024, davidpaul$ wrote:
Why not try beveling the deck a little so it will be easier for your pinky to navigate the cards.

Yes, I do, I thought that was part of the technique? Thanks
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
Quote:

Good luck!

Pedro

Thank you Pedro for this detail advice. I like it and I put it in use now.. as I watched a few videos I see many people saying there are different finger positions and I basically have to find the correct position for me. Is that true?
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2024, Rafael Benatar wrote:
Try what I call the violin grip (described in detail in my Genii column), with the left fingers almost parallel to the edges of the cards, maybe 15-20 degrees. This eliminates the tension of pulling with the pinky and the action becomes the more natural one of simply closing the hand. Checkpoint: the outer joint is hardly bent.

Rafael, thank you, yes, someone has mention this article. I live in Taiwan and couldn’t find this magazine here, I guess the only option is to buy a subscription online, too bad coz I love actual mags. But I’ll read your article. The last couple of days I was able to do a one count for a few times but then I’ll forget the grip and can’t do it anymore. I feel way too much tension in my hand and lower arm. So, more practice….. And thanks again.
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2024, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2024, epsilon97 wrote:

So true about Practice Practice Practice. I went to a lecture by Daryl showing his Hot Shot Cut. I wanted to do that cut badly.
Could never get it but was determined. Finally after "some time" I got it and was able to do it with my left and right hand, same with the one handed riffle shuffle.

Yes of course, I work at it everyday, few hours a day with other basic techniques. Thank you.
Pedrovincent
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Pedrovincent
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2024, igorkovic wrote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Pedro

Thank you Pedro for this detail advice. I like it and I put it in use now.. as I watched a few videos I see many people saying there are different finger positions and I basically have to find the correct position for me. Is that true?

Anytime! Well... This is obviously just my opinion, but I would say that it's true under certain conditions. As I see it, all sleights have certain criteria that must be checked for the move to be considered one sleight and not another. The more specific the sleight, the more criteria must be filled mechanically for a move to count as that sleight (compare the generic term "one-hand cut" with the more specific term "charlier cut", or "second deal" with "push-off second deal"). There will always be some interpretative freedom in the performing of a sleight, but how free you are in your interpretation depends of how specific the sleight is. When it comes to the pinky count, I don't think there's that much room for creating bad habits anyway (asides from doing it in a way that makes the hand look cramped/ exagerately tense). Behind "the practice, practice, practice"-attitude lies the idea, I would say, sure, of developing muscle memory and dexterity, but also of adapting the move to your own hands - which are completely unique from all the other hands in the world. Imitate your references to the extent that it is possible, and adapt the moves where you, in so doing, experience improvements in the sleights. So in addition to practice, practice, practice, I would add the little parenthesis "and listen to yourself" Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2860 Posts

Profile of Bob G
The latest issue of Genii is available on Penguinmagic.com . Not sure if they'll ship to Taiwan though. Good luck!

Bob
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2024, Pedrovincent wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2024, igorkovic wrote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Pedro

Anytime! Well... This is obviously just my opinion, but I would say that it's true under certain conditions. As I see it, all sleights have certain criteria that must be checked for the move to be considered one sleight and not another. The more specific the sleight, the more criteria must be filled mechanically for a move to count as that sleight (compare the generic term "one-hand cut" with the more specific term "charlier cut", or "second deal" with "push-off second deal"). There will always be some interpretative freedom in the performing of a sleight, but how free you are in your interpretation depends of how specific the sleight is. When it comes to the pinky count, I don't think there's that much room for creating bad habits anyway (asides from doing it in a way that makes the hand look cramped/ exagerately tense). Behind "the practice, practice, practice"-attitude lies the idea, I would say, sure, of developing muscle memory and dexterity, but also of adapting the move to your own hands - which are completely unique from all the other hands in the world. Imitate your references to the extent that it is possible, and adapt the moves where you, in so doing, experience improvements in the sleights. So in addition to practice, practice, practice, I would add the little parenthesis "and listen to yourself" Smile

Again, great explanation. Thank you very much. Yes, for the moment my hand looks very tense and cramped, I am aware of it so I keep on just practice, practice and more practice. Thanks again.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3268 Posts

Profile of 252life
I’m starting to think my pinky might do better reading.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
With the greatest respects ... I personally feel this count is far from "beginner", and might discourage anyone who is interested in card magic.

Basic card controls, like false shuffles, cuts and manipulations lend themselves to professional routines and develop muscle memory and dexterity ... and of course pinky counting.

Regards
WulfieSmith
Hudson52Sleights
View Profile
New user
Australia, Brisbane
23 Posts

Profile of Hudson52Sleights
Wulfiesmith is correct. This is not a beginner move and it should not be thought of as one. I never really found the pinkie count too hard though because I play the piano which increases pinkie strength by far! another tip is that when I first learn't the pinkie count, My ring finger was actually stopping the card from hopping but if you release the pressure of the ring finger on the top card, the pinkie count will work a lot better!
Hope that helps!
From.
Hudson52Sleights