The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Scotch & Whiskey vs Hide a Key (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of mndude
These 2 tricks seem rather similar...they both seem to involve making a key disappear. I'm curious what are the pros and cons of each of these? Which would you all rather have?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
Links may help.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
IMO, I never purchased Hide a Key, I knew Scotch & Whiskey was going to be released at a later date and waited to purchase it. I did so because I like the fact that the keys are different colors with S&W which is not the case for Hide a Key. Obviously Hide a Key is an instant reset which is nice. Though, the reset for S&W literally takes seconds and is not a big deal for me. I like the fact the nothing can go wrong with S&W after the disappearance of the key which is not the case for Hide A Key. The vanished key with Hide a Key can come out if you are not careful. Also, if you are one that thinks you need to hand out your props to be examined after the effect is over you can do so with S&W but not with Hide a Key. Also, you can do a copper/silver routine before having the key disappear with S&W. Not so with Hide a Key.

So IMO, S&W is definitely has more advantages than Hide A Key.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Jacob Hanley
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Jacob Hanley
Hey mndude, I had both (I sold HaK). RNK is right on with the comparison, so I will not restate anything he has already stated. HaK keys are thinner than S&W. So once the magic happens, the S&W key is thicker than HaK. But for both, no one I have performed to has ever mentioned the thickness. Both look really good close up as well once the magic happens. Both instructions are good at explaining the main effect and providing other ideas as well. As a good amount of comparisons highlight, it comes down to personal preference. Hope that helps a little. —Jacob
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
I also held off on Hide a key for S & W and I'm so glad I did the workmanship is superb and it allows for a more complete routine.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2024, warren wrote:
I also held off on Hide a key for S & W and I'm so glad I did the workmanship is superb and it allows for a more complete routine.

Definitely agree Warren. You can do so much more with S & W especially with the copper/silver aspect. Such a beautiful gimmick.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
thedoktor
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of thedoktor
Ok. I agree with the comments about Scotch and Whiskey and the advantages of it vs Hide a Key. I have both. What is curious is there is more than just a similarity than one of two keys vanish and the other appears elsewhere.( BTW the deluxe version of SW has two additional keys which allows for some additional routining.) its the keystock itself. The Hide a key gimmick is shell and insert. The CW is a magnetic shell and insert. Yes I know one is brass the other silver. But if I showed you the silver gimmicks from either set when locked or combined they look the same. They use identical key stock. I am not suggesting anything nefarious. But how did this development happen? Seems more than serendipity. But curious.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
I just purchased s&w deluxe. Looking forward to it. I would think for quick eye candy hide a key has a place.
joshjmill
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
8 Posts

Profile of joshjmill
I agree with all of the positive differences stated above, so won't re-list them. I did have one participant mention the width of my S&W key only one time. I casually mentioned that that was because it was for a gym locker and they were happy with that answer. With the routines I use they never have both keys in their hand at the same time (that they know of Smile ) so they shouldn't every really be comparing the gold and silver keys side-by-side to ask why they are different widths from each other.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
I don’t care what they think. Haha
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2840 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Then you have another option besides magic: become a politician ;-)
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I have both. The key differences are magnets, thickness, handling, reset, and color.

Magnets mean one has to set up SW before starting. In SW case, that means leaving your gimmicks in an exposed state. Magnets means a reset which though quick, is not instant. Magnets mean you can nest the gimmicks before you mean to if one is not careful. Magnets also means a locked gimmick that can be freely left in the spectator's hands for inspection.

No magnet means instant reset, even during the routine, purposefully, or if you mishandled something and need to quickly undo it. No magnet means HK is ready to go at a moment's notice. No magnet means one must use the correct handling to display the keys, lest the keys unnest accidentally.

Thickness is what it is, the SW gimmicks are 20% thicker than HK. I don't believe they are so big or thick as to cause unwarranted scrutiny and any inquiries could be answered easily enough.

House Key = 1.99mm
Hide-a-Key Gimmick = 2.29mm
Scotch and Whiskey Gimmick = 2.85mm

In terms of handling, SW can be performed in the spectator's hand with more freedom than HK can. Hide-A-Key can be performed in the hand with the proper handling But Scotch and Whiskey's locking nest is superior and unmatched in terms of inspection and handling freedom after nesting.

There is no way to duplicate the hanging swinging vanish in HK with SW. That visual vanish done at eye level is a clear advantage of HK over SW. There are other types of quick vanishes done with SW. They are just as visual. They require a bit more finesse but the magnets make the moment instantaneous and striking. The HK vanish is slower and more gradual. They both have their moments, it is just a matter of which moment the magician prefers. Both also come with extra key versions that will add more routine options.

The color is what it is. Brass and chrome versus two silver keys with different finishes. I don't believe spectators will notice unless it is pointed out. The lack of color difference doesn't appear to affect the spectator's perception of HK. Greg Wilson's routine on the HK video seems to bear that out. That being said, the contrasting colors do provide a clarity that some may prefer and find superior for their purposes.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2840 Posts

Have you ever performed both for the same group? I wonder if that would work when they beg you to show it again.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Have you ever performed both for the same group? I wonder if that would work when they beg you to show it again.

Before I got married my wife begged to show….well, that was 30 years ago. Alas…
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
I wonder when these deluxe key sets are gonna ship.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2840 Posts

Me too. Ordered the third batch.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of mndude
Excellent comments and reviews. This site continues to provide real value.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
I just got mine fed ex today