The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Automated Levitation Source (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Hello,

I have a Goddess Illusion by Owens. The motor operator is critical to the levitation looking great. Does anyone have any information on how to automate the prop. It would have to be a series of cues. Appearance, floating, disappearance prep and disappearance. As I have been performing this illusion for over 20 years, most of time it is timed exactly. But issues arise from time to time that would need the cues to be punched at different times. There are times when one of my two experienced crew members are not available. Rehearsal time before a show to train a new person is grueling.
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Sounds like a computer is in order. Kerry Pollocks Show Tech used to do that kind of stuff. You might talk with Rick Wilcox as he uses Kerry's stuff and it might give you some insight if it can do it or not.
Old tech would be make rotating cam gear situation but that would take lot of time also to work out.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
If it’s computer automation you need I can help. I’ve decades of experience with show control.
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Thanks for the input. I use Q Lab to control my lighting, video and sound cues. I believe Q Lab could fire the cues, but I would need an interface to control the motor in the Goddess. Owen made a bullet proof "lift mechinism". It is a motor and band system that is used for small fork lifts. It utilizes a manual motor controller from Grainger's. Any help finding a DMX or Midi controlled motor controller would be would be helpful..
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
Q Lab ought to handle it, but the motor control is going to dictate a lot. For example, is it Servo or Stepper? You'll need the appropriate hardware driver board and I'm not entirely sure that (depending on the amperage you need) that the driver is going to accept DMX/Midi straight away. If it's a small stepper or servo then sure there are combo boards but I have a feeling your motor and application is more 'meaty'. Can you shoot me any/all motor specifications you have? I'll try to run it down for ya!

Edit: Are you in OKC? I'm in DFW - happy to make the trip and work this out with you!