The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Where to buy Kennedy Half dollars (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Trying to get loaded up with Kennedy halves for extensive Okito box work. Where can I get 1-10 rolls of Kennedy halves without paying a premium for shipping or condition etc. Also can you recommend an alternative coin that could be cheaper(not replicas, or palming coins).

I've been using a "Chinese LUOHANQIAN" set to practice Okito with. But I am just getting tired of practicing and not wanting to go out with the expensive set just to lose one of the coins and have to pay another $45USD just to have enough coins to practice Okito, Want to start doing Okito in public and relax and enjoy the hobby without worrying about losing coins. Everything else about Okito box work is affordable to get into and to practice,but everywhere I look to buy these (including ebay I would end up paying close to 4x their street value just to have enough coins to not fear losing some.

Just as a note: I use half dollar sized coins because they fit better with my hand size... french dropping these is extremely natural to me and I rarely stumble with the coins. I tried learning with Eisenhower Dollars but 1. few people have ever seen one of those in the wild. 2. They are too big for me to hide a stack of these in my hand like I need to in Okito work. Smile
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
You might consider using old English pennies as a possibly cheaper alternative, if you shop around a bit and find a source from whom you can buy a small bundle of them for less than the cost of an equal number of half dollars.

They are about the same diameter as halves — just a hair bigger, but still fit in most if not all Okito boxes.

They’re thinner, too. Whereas only four half dollars fit in my Okito box, five English Pennines will fit equally well.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
For 90% silver Kennedy 1964 half dollars, I would contact a local coin dealer. They will probably sell them for spot silver price, which is generally the lowest price you will find.

Here's a source that charges about $10/ea for a roll of 20 Kennedy 1964 half dollars. That's what you should expect to pay from a dealer. They also have clad Kennedy halves.
https://sdbullion.com/catalogsearch/resu......S+SILVER
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2024, GJo wrote:
For 90% silver Kennedy 1964 half dollars, I would contact a local coin dealer. They will probably sell them for spot silver price, which is generally the lowest price you will find.

Here's a source that charges about $10/ea for a roll of 20 Kennedy 1964 half dollars. That's what you should expect to pay from a dealer. They also have clad Kennedy halves.
https://sdbullion.com/catalogsearch/resu......S+SILVER

You missed the point of my question. I am looking for a quantity of Kennedy halves I can buy WITHOUT paying a premium. I am not wanting them for a coin collection but MERELY to perform Okito Box effects without worrying about losing any in public.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2024, karnak wrote:
You might consider using old English pennies as a possibly cheaper alternative, if you shop around a bit and find a source from whom you can buy a small bundle of them for less than the cost of an equal number of half dollars.

They are about the same diameter as halves — just a hair bigger, but still fit in most if not all Okito boxes.

They’re thinner, too. Whereas only four half dollars fit in my Okito box, five English Pennines will fit equally well.

Ok,I did that for years but English Pennies don't show up well when performing in low light conditions. And they don't have as good a contrast against each other as Kennedy halves do. And then you have this constant need to keep polishing them every few days to keep them looking bright, They are a huge headache overall.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2024, chucklerich wrote:
You missed the point of my question. I am looking for a quantity of Kennedy halves I can buy WITHOUT paying a premium. I am not wanting them for a coin collection but MERELY to perform Okito Box effects without worrying about losing any in public.

From your reply, I will assume you're looking for clad Kennedy halves, although YOU DIDN'T SPECIFY these in your post.

Clad Kennedy's cost a little less than $4/ea from the bullion dealer. Yes, that seems like a premium to me, but I've not done any shopping for clad Kennedy halves since the last time I asked for them in my local bank about 9 months ago (they didn't have any).

For clad Kennedy halves, I'd recommend calling local banks. One of them may have a stash.

Happy hunting. I hope you find what you're looking for!
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I get them from my local banks.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Check you bank.
I believe they're making them for general circulation again.
If they don't have any, they should be able to order them.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
712 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Piling on: make friends with your bank tellers. It might take them a few weeks to pull together 10 rolls. (Why do you need 10 ROLLS? In fact, why do you need 10 halves? Five to six should be more than enough....)
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Whoops, I'd also written a response, but apparently forgot to hit submit.

I can't tell from the first post if it's really meant to be "1-10 rolls" or just coins. Do yo need up to 200 coins for fear of losing them?

At that scale clad seems self evident, and the best answer (as others have said) is the bank. You'll pay face value. 50 cents per coin, $10 per roll. Not all will have them, but if you need that many, you can ask them to order. You can also get them direct from the mint - you have minimum quantities (that you might meet) and a small shipping cost, but the coins themselves will at least be at face value.

As far as other currencies go, while English Pennies are often inexpensive compared to other coins, they're rarely less than a dollar each - and that's at a good price rather than from a magic dealer with a markup. You can't do better than the clad halves (in real coins) if price is your #1.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You got the best of answers here, the bank is the way to all you need. And as to need, I have had just a $10 little roll (20 coins). For maybe 20years now I’ve been playing with the same coins. Just came across the old roll the other day and there was still 4 halves in there. Smile The rest are scattered around here from my journey with them this way and that, a few always left in a coat or jacket pocket for anywhere I go. For just about a $2 toll (4 or 5 coins) it will take you many, many good & magical miles from here to there and even a bit further down this way, that & the other. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Even the US mint wants a premium. If you end up finding a large quantity without paying a premium PLEASE let the rest of us know. Smile

https://catalog.usmint.gov/kennedy-2023-......3KA.html
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
A 47% premium, at that!

So the US Mint wants nearly an extra quarter for each half dollar you acquire from them?

How is it even legal that a fifty-cent piece of legal tender, fresh from the government who made it (and officially declared and labeled it as worth exactly fifty cents) actually costs nearly seventy-five cents — just because it comes straight from its source, instead of from somebody’s pocket or cash register?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, karnak wrote:
A 47% premium, at that!

So the US Mint wants nearly an extra quarter for each half dollar you acquire from them?

How is it even legal that a fifty-cent piece of legal tender, fresh from the government who made it (and officially declared and labeled it as worth exactly fifty cents) actually costs nearly seventy-five cents — just because it comes straight from its source, instead of from somebody’s pocket or cash register?

Yes that is ironic.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, Mb217 wrote:
You got the best of answers here, the bank is the way to all you need. And as to need, I have had just a $10 little roll (20 coins). For maybe 20years now I’ve been playing with the same coins. Just came across the old roll the other day and there was still 4 halves in there. Smile The rest are scattered around here from my journey with them this way and that, a few always left in a coat or jacket pocket for anywhere I go. For just about a $2 toll (4 or 5 coins) it will take you many, many good & magical miles from here to there and even a bit further down this way, that & the other. Smile

The reasons I want so many are:

1. To use multiple okito boxes (I have a presentation I designed some years ago that use 3 boxes where coins switch from box to box)

2.zero worries about losing them from:
A. Being dropped and rolling under tables in restaurants or under parked cars in the street etc.(irretrievably lost from drops)
B. People who see I am working with legal tender coins and decide to pocket some on me while in the middle of my letting them do the cursory examination before during or after the effect and simply walk away with them.
C. My own absentmindedly forgetting to pack the coins away after securing my okito boxes(because as a human being I make A LOT of mistakes).

3. The ability to give away one to a spectator(if I can tell they really enjoyed the performance) as a souvenir.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, Craig Ousterling wrote:
Even the US mint wants a premium. If you end up finding a large quantity without paying a premium PLEASE let the rest of us know. Smile

https://catalog.usmint.gov/kennedy-2023-......3KA.html

Thank you Kindly, and yes If I find an alternate source I will share the info, I'm guessing the extra cost there would be shipping and insurance, which does seem reasonable overall.

Also they seem to have a 2 roll yearly subscription for a 2 roll set(but then the premium is like 72%)
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I get my Kennedy coins from a local bank. I got 40 halves for $20.
I also get a pile of $2 bills.
You may have to order the bills in advance.
Ihor
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2024, chucklerich wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, Mb217 wrote:

The reasons I want so many are:

1. To use multiple okito boxes (I have a presentation I designed some years ago that use 3 boxes where coins switch from box to box)

2.zero worries about losing them from:
A. Being dropped and rolling under tables in restaurants or under parked cars in the street etc.(irretrievably lost from drops)
B. People who see I am working with legal tender coins and decide to pocket some on me while in the middle of my letting them do the cursory examination before during or after the effect and simply walk away with them.
C. My own absentmindedly forgetting to pack the coins away after securing my okito boxes(because as a human being I make A LOT of mistakes).

3. The ability to give away one to a spectator(if I can tell they really enjoyed the performance) as a souvenir.

I see…Well, simple enough to double it and get $20 worth (40 coins) from the exact same source. Seems that should take care of all your extra worries and needs here.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
[quote]On Feb 3, 2024, chucklerich wrote:
Quote:
I'm guessing the extra cost there would be shipping and insurance, which does seem reasonable overall.

The US Mint ad seems to suggest that shipping is extra (since it's included only with a subscription).
Presarian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Don't penguin sells it as well.