The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Chasing a Reference (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
Hello all,
I seem to recall reading a story a while back about a cheat who had been killed after being caught, and with his dying breath asked his co-conspirators to remove his holdout so that it wouldn't be known that he had used one. I thought that I had read it in the Annotated Erdnase and that the reference was to Robert-Houdin's Cardsharpers Exposed, but this appears to be incorrect. I also checked Sharps and Flats and can't find the story on a quick search. Does anyone remember this?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
No, but it sounds like some patter from a card trick.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

For those curious, I found the original, and it's in Robert-Houdin's autobiography.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1730 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Sharps and Flats contains a woodblock print of Kepplinger being frisked and his holdout discovered. He wasn't killed. According to legend, his opponents all demanded he build one for each of them. Does the Robert-Houdin story predate that or come after?

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, JasonEngland wrote:
Sharps and Flats contains a woodblock print of Kepplinger being frisked and his holdout discovered. He wasn't killed. According to legend, his opponents all demanded he build one for each of them. Does the Robert-Houdin story predate that or come after?

Jason

A month late, but to answer you: the Kepplinger story apparently took place in 1888 (as per Maskelyne). Robert-Houdin's Autobiography was published in 1858 and the story in question was supposed to have taken places several decades before. The story is related by Torrini to Rovbert-Houdin and supposedly takes place some twenty years before the conversation, so I'd guess 1800-1805ish?. The name of the unfortunate gambler is Zilbermann.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1730 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Good to know - thank you. I wasn't near my library at the time I asked so I couldn't check the Robert-Houdin book myself.

Again, thank you.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks