The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Murry on Face book. (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Just watched a series of short vids by Murry on Facebook. So now he’s one to just totally demo and reveal effects from vanishing Vase of flowers ,mirror glass, pen thru anything etc……. WTF. Is just for clicks and attention, is this what one does when they feel they’re losing popularity. People point P&T doing it way back as well as others but it’s still disappointing. In this case it’s just Murry flat out showing the effect and his assistant walks over and takes it and exposes it, then next and next. No entertainment value whatsoever, pretty stupid IMO

NM
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I hate that this is happening!
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I don't know Sawchuck personally, but I am aware they want to close the Tropicana this year to build a stadium.

Sawchuck performs at the Tropicana, so perhaps he is trying to increase his public fame to get
a better contract with another venue.

Just speculation.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
It would be a pathetic way to get attention, haven’t met a spectator yet that has expressed interest let alone appreciation for having seen a trick explained ( exposed ) anywhere. This is path many have pursed under the premise that it increases interest in magic, I say BS. Audiences love the mystery and entertainment, providing the solution to the mystery in no way benefits the art. The Ones participating in exposure as a tool are simply hoping to increase their diminishing notoriety . It’s pathetic and deserves the due condemnation. Again JMO

NM
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I wrote Murry once about exposing the Fastest Trick in the World in his stage act. He said he would stop doing it. I guess that does not apply to the internet.

All I can say is any effect in the proper hands will still fool an audience. Sad to see that Murry has stuped to this level.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
It’s really funny to hear the defense of exposure as not really exposure or qualifying it in some BS way. Watch Murry explain his position on Scott Wells Podcast, may be it’s just me but that’s as ridiculous as can be. It boils down to anything for a buck, very sad.

Nm
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I hate to see random people expose magic for clicks but to see someone who makes a living from magic do it is even worse … Smile
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The worst part about this exposure video is that it isn't even particularly GOOD. Just mediocre exposure for the sake of exposing.

Sure, they're old tricks, but so is the concept of Facebook "exposure video shorts" at this point.

Do something interesting, at least...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
People do anything, when they are desperate.....really disappointing!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
He's exposing things that are still being sold, and it harms anyone who performs this material in their show. He's tried and failed to explain it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2024, Andrew Zuber wrote:
He's exposing things that are still being sold, and it harms anyone who performs this material in their show. He's tried and failed to explain it.

Agree 100%...... a traitor to the magic fraternity!
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Scott Well's Magic Word podcast interviewed him about it last week.
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Sawchuck’s definition of exposure is pretty narrow. He seems to be saying that if a secret is shared with some malicious or nefarious intent, that’s exposure.

Hmmmm.

He also says exposure is okay if it’s entertaining.

Hmmmm.

I guess that means someone could create a Weird Al-esque entertaining routine that spoofs David Copperfield, exposing his secrets in the process, and it’s all good so long as there’s no malicious intent.

I’m not sure I buy that.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2024, BAGWIZ wrote:
Sawchuck’s definition of exposure is pretty narrow. He seems to be saying that if a secret is shared with some malicious or nefarious intent, that’s exposure.

Hmmmm.

Hmmmm.

I guess that means someone could create a Weird Al-esque entertaining routine that spoofs David Copperfield, exposing his secrets in the process, and it’s all good so long as there’s no malicious intent.

I’m not sure I buy that.

I most certainly do not buy it!!!
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2024, BAGWIZ wrote:

Well, I finally decided to take a look at it. Not very entertaining. They are all pretty basic magic shop items, but young kids may choose to use these items as they start getting into magic. To expose them does a very real disservice to those budding magicians. Besides that, I'm cool with exposing your own effects, but these are not his to expose. Just a dumb idea for an even dumber video.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2024, ThomasJ wrote:
Scott Well's Magic Word podcast interviewed him about it last week.

I watched this and found his explanations to fall flat. He seems to think he's the chosen one when it comes to what material is worth exposing; if it's old or he's seen performances he didn't like using these props, it's okay to share the workings online. The whole thing reads as self-serving and he takes any opportunity he can to mention how popular and successful he is.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21276 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is doubtful that exposing magic effects working would get him a better contract. That seems a tenuous reasoning.

Obviously he has his own reasoning for doing this. I can’t imagine what it would be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2024, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is doubtful that exposing magic effects working would get him a better contract. That seems a tenuous reasoning.

Obviously he has his own reasoning for doing this. I can’t imagine what it would be.

Desperation??
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21276 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I’m not going to speculate. His reasons are his own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell